Capital Punishment Upon the Canaanites

Capital Punishment Upon the Canaanites

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Sep 15

Originally posted by sonship
I have seen this post and will reply latter.
Concerning the question to me.

I do not think any children killed in the Canaanite slaughter were AS guilty as the adults.

I would have to view the video again to refresh exactly what the speaker said about the children. But common sense makes me think they were not as guilty as the adults.

The speaker make the point that Jesus said when disaster struck we should not think that those who died were worse sinners. He said unless we repented we would ALL likewise perish.

Remember that he made that point from Luke 13:1 - 5 ?

Clay B Jones: Killing the Canaanites Was Justified Capital Punishment

Personally, I suspect that some of the children had been dedicated and consecrated to Satan and demons. Their lives were destined to be miserably enslaved to deep occultism.

The passages are not easy. No Christian, I think, should deal with them as if they are easy. They are difficult. But I am glad that they are included in the Bible.

The subtlety of Satan is so powerful that our sense of pity the Devil could on occasion be used against ourselves. That Satan could cease upon our sense of self pity to rebel against God is exposed in this portion of the Old Testament.

On a few limited occasions God told His theocratic nations "Your eye shall not pity ... "

While it is very hard to read, we probably underestimate how insidious God's enemy can be to utilize the natural fallen Adamic nature to revolt against God.

Anyone who listens to the whole video, I will reciprocate and listen to any counterpoint lecture which he would like me to hear. That is to anyone who listens to the entire lecture. But if five people thus respond I probably will not listen to five lectures.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
16 Sep 15
1 edit

I do not think any children killed in the Canaanite slaughter were AS guilty as the adults.

I would have to view the video again to refresh exactly what the speaker said about the children. But common sense makes me think they were not as guilty as the adults.

The speaker make the point that Jesus said when disa ...[text shortened]... he entire lecture. But if five people thus respond I probably will not listen to five lectures.
I think this is an honest reply. Thanks for that.

I would worry about the sanity of a believer that did not find such passages difficult.

I suppose, from the believer's point of view, it's possible that the infants could be demon-possessed, or influenced, to the point that they were guaranteed to grow up to be evil people.

The Biblical 'rules' for when a demon can, and cannot, be cast out of a person are not so clear, as I recall.

There was the incident of Jesus casting many demons out of a person and letting them transfer into a herd of pigs. (I've always wondered if one human life is really more valuable than a whole herd of pigs, or why Jesus didn't just tell them, 'screw you, go back to hell from whence you came!', but that's another discussion.)

I can't recall a case of Jesus failing to cast out a demon. I'm pretty sure they always left if he told them to do so.

So I'd hope that Jesus, or his Father, would have cast out any demons that possessed the Canaanite children/infants, if they could.

Perhaps there is an explanation as to why demon-purging had to wait until Jesus showed up on earth?

F

Moves
17 Sep 15

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
Perhaps there is an explanation as to why demon-purging had to wait until Jesus showed up on earth?
Perhaps there is an explanation as to why the Hebrew God figure didn't just reveal Himself to the Canaanites, declare Mosaic Law, and deem them to be a Chosen People too ~ instead of telling the Hebrews to murder them all and take their land.

r

Moves
17 Sep 15

Originally posted by FMF
Wouldn't it be accurate to say, in fact, that dozens and dozens of its predictions have been false? Indeed, isn't its track record in making predictions abysmal?

So, is there a particular reason why your prediction - that the end times will occur in your lifetime - is any more credible than all the predictions that preceded it and that turned out to be false again and again and again?
To FMF and others who do not see:
(Luke 12:54-56) Then he also said to the crowds: “When you see a cloud rising in the west, at once you say, ‘A storm is coming,’ and it happens. 55 And when you see that a south wind is blowing, you say, ‘There will be a heat wave,’ and it occurs. 56 Hypocrites, you know how to examine the appearance of earth and sky, but why do you not know how to examine this particular time?
We are doing as Jesus exhorted, "(Matthew 24:42) Keep on the watch, therefore, because you do not know on what day your Lord is coming."
Nobody knows how Jehovah will end this unsuccessful way of living and sanctify (or hallow) His Name except Jehovah Himself.
(Matthew 24:36) “Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father.

r

Moves
23 Sep 15

Originally posted by roigam
To FMF and others who do not see:
(Luke 12:54-56) Then he also said to the crowds: “When you see a cloud rising in the west, at once you say, ‘A storm is coming,’ and it happens. 55 And when you see that a south wind is blowing, you say, ‘There will be a heat wave,’ and it occurs. 56 Hypocrites, you know how to examine the appearance of earth and sky, but wh ...[text shortened]... t day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father.
That day will be initially a day of destruction for this system and those who ascribe to it.
Then we will see the establishing of Christ's rulership over the Earth unopposed for 1000 years. All of the Paradise prophecies will then be fulfilled. i.e.
(Isaiah 25:8) He will swallow up death forever, And the Sovereign Lord Jehovah will wipe away the tears from all faces. The reproach of his people he will take away from all the earth, For Jehovah himself has spoken
also, Jesus said:
(John 5:28, 29) Do not be amazed at this, for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice 29 and come out......
So any who are classified as Canaanites will be given another chance to live and to learn the truth about their way of life.
This is something only our Creator, Jehovah God, and His Son Christ Jesus, the one to whom He gave that ability can do (John 5:26) For just as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted also to the Son to have life in himself.).

r

Moves
25 Sep 15

To FMF:
No that would not be accurate but until you study the Bible with Jehovah's Witnesses you would not see all the prophecies that they have id'd as being fulfilled.
We don't prophecy, God's Spirit does.
(2 Peter 1:20, 21) For you know this first, that no prophecy of Scripture springs from any private interpretation. 21 For prophecy was at no time brought by man’s will, but men spoke from God as they were moved by holy spirit.

We can only see the things fulfilled at that after the fact but, our knowledge keeps growing. The light gets brighter according to God's grace in revealing His purpose.
(Proverbs 4:18) But the path of the righteous is like the bright morning light That grows brighter and brighter until full daylight.
No, we are not perfect, we just keep pressing forward toward the Kingdom.

F

Moves
25 Sep 15

To FMF:
No that would not be accurate but until you study the Bible with Jehovah's Witnesses you would not see all the prophecies that they have id'd as being fulfilled.
We don't prophecy, God's Spirit does.
And what has been the Jehovah's Witnesses' track record declaring these prophecies/predictions?

How many can you name ~ I'm talking about those that were published in your official publications over the last 100 or so years ~ that turned out to be correct?

r

Moves
25 Sep 15

Originally posted by FMF
And what has been the Jehovah's Witnesses' track record declaring these prophecies/predictions?

How many can you name ~ I'm talking about those that were published in your official publications over the last 100 or so years ~ that turned out to be correct?
I only know of one that was not correct.
That was the expectation of the end in 1975.
It was studied further and it was realized that the time line was not figured correctly.
Although The Society did not state that date, they apologized in the Watchtower Magazine for various Ministers who did say that 1975 was the end.
I was one of those so I apologize too.
The salient point is not how many misunderstandings were made concerning prophecies but how far have any of us come in understanding God's Word.
Wouldn't you agree we must continue trying to understand God's Word?
Most everyone on this Forum is doing the same thing.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
25 Sep 15

Originally posted by FMF
Perhaps there is an explanation as to why the Hebrew God figure didn't just reveal Himself to the Canaanites, declare Mosaic Law, and deem them to be a Chosen People too ~ instead of telling the Hebrews to murder them all and take their land.
Dear Most Arrogant Person on the Internet:

No, FMF, this is not addressed to you.

Best Regards,
The Internet

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
25 Sep 15

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
25 Sep 15

Holy You-know-the-thing-to-which-I-allude!
If I could upthumb and/or thumbup my own post, this is the one I would do that thing!

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 Sep 15
2 edits

The speaker make the point that Jesus said when disa ...[text shortened]... he entire lecture. But if five people thus respond I probably will not listen to five lectures.
This was a typo. The word nation should have been in the singular.

On a few limited occasions God told His theocratic nation [edited] "Your eye shall not pity ... "

F

Moves
25 Sep 15

The salient point is not how many misunderstandings were made concerning prophecies but how far have any of us come in understanding God's Word.
You are saying "how many misunderstandings were made concerning prophecies" is not important and yet you are also predicting the end times in your lifetime.

F

Moves
25 Sep 15

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Dear Most Arrogant Person on the Internet:

No, FMF, this is not addressed to you.

Best Regards,
The Internet
This is only drawing attention to the fact that you seem to be irked by having no response to what I posted. 🙂

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
26 Sep 15

Originally posted by FMF
This is only drawing attention to the fact that you seem to be irked by having no response to what I posted. 🙂
You simply have no sense of space, place or history.
You're the petulant child infuriated, standing defiantly pointing your blistered finger at your parent who just moments before warned you not to touch the hot stove.