1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Sep '15 00:551 edit
    This lecture is on the depravity of human beings and the justified execution of the Canaanites in the Bible.

Clay B Jones: Killing the Canaanites Was Justified Capital Punishment

YouTube
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Sep '15 01:02
    Originally posted by sonship
    This lecture is on the depravity of human beings and the justified execution of the Canaanites in the Bible.

[b] Clay B Jones: Killing the Canaanites Was Justified Capital Punishment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4fv8apO3_4[/b]
    Before I look at the clip, what other historical sources are there detailing the alleged "depravity" of the Canaanites aside from the religious literature that their enemies the Hebrews wrote?
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Sep '15 01:313 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Before I look at the clip, what other historical sources are there detailing the alleged "depravity" of the Canaanites aside from the religious literature that their enemies the Hebrews wrote?
    The thesis of the lecture is simple, IE. that God was justified in after 400 years of downward slide into greater and greater wickedness, the Canaanites who remained on the land given to the Israelites deserved capital punishment.

The issue you ask about is another topic of discussion which I think distracts from the main point the speaker makes. I don't personally want to chase down that distraction - ie. "Was the Story of the Canaanite Conquest Only Self Serving National Propaganda ? "

Not that that is not a question worth discussing. I posted this for the specified purpose of someone lecturing on the deserved punishment of man in general and the exemplary case of the Canaanites.

My thoughts on that I prefer not to talk about now. However, by listening to the entire lecture carefully one can see that the Israelites did not get a free pass in the OT when they acted in a similar manner to the Canaanites.

I think the the speaker had some good points to consider.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Sep '15 01:331 edit
    Clay B Jones: Killing the Canaanites Was Justified Capital Punishment

YouTube
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 Sep '15 02:06
    This is just deranged.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Sep '15 02:101 edit
    The thesis of the lecture is simple, IE. that God was justified in after 400 years of downward slide into greater and greater wickedness, the Canaanites who remained on the land given to the Israelites deserved capital punishment.

The issue you ask about is another topic of discussion which I think distracts from the main point the speaker makes. I do ...[text shortened]... imilar manner to the Canaanites.

I think the the speaker had some good points to consider.
    So that's a No, there are NO other historical sources except for the self-serving one written by the perpetrators of the killings', right? Have I understood your meaning correctly?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Sep '15 02:15
    The issue you ask about is another topic of discussion which I think distracts from the main point the speaker makes. I don't personally want to chase down that distraction...
    Distraction eh? So would it be fair to say that your supposed justification for the genocide is more or less aimed at those who already believe the genocide was justified?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Sep '15 03:392 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Distraction eh? So would it be fair to say that your supposed justification for the genocide is more or less aimed at those who already believe the genocide was justified?
    What happened to the Canaanites was not genocide but sinocide.

Why don't you start a conspiracy theory that the entire book of Jeremiah was cleverly written Babylonian anti-semitic propaganda?

Obviously with as much rational you could argue that Jeremiah was designed to single out Israel as particularly designated for devastating divine punishment.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Sep '15 04:13
    What happened to the Canaanites was not genocide but [b]sinocide.

Why don't you start a conspiracy theory that the entire book of Jeremiah was cleverly written Babylonian anti-semitic propaganda?

Obviously with as much rational you could argue that Jeremiah was designed to single out Israel as particularly designated for devastating divine punishment.[/b]
    So that's a 'Yes, the justification for genocide is aimed at those who already believe the genocide was justified' , then?
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Sep '15 05:52
    1. Did God ever order genocide of any other groups around the world that had experienced a similar 'downward slide into greater and greater wickedness', or was it only the group that happened to be occupying the land the Israelites wanted?
    2. I don't actually believe in Capital punishment in general, but certainly it doesn't seem reasonable for children.
    3. I don't accept the premise that an all powerful God would have capital punishment as the only option or even the best option.
    4. I don't accept the premise that he would require the Israelites to carry it out for him.
    5. The whole thing just stinks of after the fact justification for genocide by the Jews and by the lecturer and by you.
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 Sep '15 13:04

[b] Clay B Jones: Killing the Canaanites Was Justified Capital Punishment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4fv8apO3_4[/b]
    is it easy to "justly execute" an entire group of people for you? a group of people that is far away from you, space and time, kind of like an amorphous mass of faceless people. almost dehumanized. you don't think of each life as it ends, it's almost like the group goes pooof, and it's gone.

please do a little exercise. think of the canaanites as a line of people and you must "justly execute" each, one at a time. think of each person as he/she comes to the front of the line and is about to be "justly executed". think of that person's name. think of his/her dreams, aspirations. think of all the people he/she loves. think that you must review each of that person's actions, both good and bad and then you must kill them.

is it as easy now?
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Sep '15 20:151 edit
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    is it easy to "justly execute" an entire group of people for you? a group of people that is far away from you, space and time, kind of like an amorphous mass of faceless people. almost dehumanized. you don't think of each life as it ends, it's almost like the group goes pooof, and it's gone.

please do a little exercise. think of the canaanites as a lin ...[text shortened]... h of that person's actions, both good and bad and then you must kill them.

is it as easy now?
    Imploring us to "feel" for the ones who were judged by God and found lacking is exactly the same mistake the Hebrews made. And they're still paying for it.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Sep '15 22:34

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    11 Sep '15 23:531 edit
    would you consider the Flood of Noah's day genocide? or execution of righteous judgements?
    the Bible says the heavens and earth that are now are stored up for destruction.
    the earth and mankind were not destroyed in Noah's day so the earth and mankind will not be destroyed in our day.
    only the wicked rulership over mankind and wicked mankind were destroyed.
    the same will happen in our day.
    think of the world rulerships and wicked society today (including the Jews) as the modern day Canaanites.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Sep '15 00:21
    Originally posted by roigam
    would you consider the Flood of Noah's day genocide? or execution of righteous judgements?
    I would say it is piece of ancient religious mythology that perhaps unwittingly depicts - what is for all intents and purposes - a stupendous, utterly demented example of genocide, albeit fictitious, but then interprets it fancifully as a supposedly righteous judgement by a God figure, while in fact all it is is a bit of embellished folklore handed down from generation to generation about an ancient natural disaster that affected the area that their ancestors happened to live in.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree