1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    15 Aug '08 23:19
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I don't know if you realize this, but if she changes her mind (again) and wants to leave the nunnery, she can. Do you have something against people deciding what they want to do with their own lives?
    I just think it's pitiful.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Aug '08 23:221 edit
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    I just think it's pitiful.
    The concept of people doing what they wish with their own lives or this person's decision on what to do with her own life?
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    15 Aug '08 23:27
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The concept of people doing what they wish with their own lives or this person's decision on what to do with her own life?
    That she was manipulated into abandoning her major life goals during her times of vulnerability, and that she hasn't realized that that is what happened.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Aug '08 23:30
    That she was manipulated into abandoning her major life goals during her times of vulnerability, and that she hasn't realized that that is what happened.
    How was she manipulated?
  5. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 00:18
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    How was she manipulated?
    I'll leave that as an exercise for the interested reader.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 00:34
    I'll leave that as an exercise for the interested reader.
    Nope, not convinced. Could you locate the particular moments of manipulation?
  7. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 01:36
    Nope, not convinced. Could you locate the particular moments of manipulation?
    I would say that there was manipulation at the very beginning. She immediately asked her if she ever considered being a nun. Why not get to know her first? Why not explore her vocational and family goals? To me it is somewhat like going to a person in the unemployment line and asking them if they ever thought about going in the Army.
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 01:39
    Doc, as she lives near your hood, do you think you could do an intervention with her. We have room in BWA for another member and we tend to rule the spiritual forums. It would be like outreach to tha Brothaz.
  9. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 01:531 edit
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Doc, as she lives near your hood, do you think you could do an intervention with her. We have room in BWA for another member and we tend to rule the spiritual forums. It would be like outreach to tha Brothaz.
    I was checking out the parish website.

I think we should admit this FAQ response for evaluation in the current round of the Sermon Competition:
    http://www.simonjude.net/faq/index.php
    (the entry about girls not being allowed to serve at mass)

I can't make heads or tails of the response. If that's the culture that she's been brainwashed into, there's really no hope of even communicating with her, much less enlightening her about her predicament.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 02:51
    I would say that there was manipulation at the very beginning. She immediately asked her if she ever considered being a nun.
    The girl was in a cathedral praying alone. Sounds like a typical question for a nun to ask.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 02:52
    I can't make heads or tails of the response. If that's the culture that she's been brainwashed into, there's really no hope of even communicating with her, much less enlightening her about her predicament.
    Exactly what is so controversial?
  12. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 08:59
    The girl was in a cathedral praying alone. Sounds like a typical question for a nun to ask.
    I have been through the checkout line in a grocery store m any times in my life. I have never been asked by the cashier if I wanted to be a cashier.

I have been to the car mechanic many times in my life. I have never been asked by any of them if I wanted to be a car mechanic.

I sometimes will see my mailman and say "hi." He has never asked me if I wanted to be a mailman.

In my life, I have gone out to eat many times. I have never been asked if I wanted to be a chef or waiter.
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 09:32
    Imagine how often that happens. It's especially egregious when it involves well meaning religious institutions.
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 09:33
    Until the priests and nuns started manipulating her, and even well afterwards, she knew that she wanted to be a wife and a mother. She seems like a kind-hearted woman that would be perfectly suited to both roles.

For an organization that is so preoccupied with marriage and reproduction, it's puzzling why they would be so quick to encourage an eng ...[text shortened]... exciting part of her day being talking to the new recruit about her office job at the bank.
    she made her decisions. she wasn't coerced. she became a nun by choice and this event is no different than someone buying a vacuum cleaner from a persuasive door to door salesman.

catholic church ruined her life? hardly. at most she ruined her life herself.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 09:36
    I have been through the checkout line in a grocery store m any times in my life. I have never been asked by the cashier if I wanted to be a cashier.

I have been to the car mechanic many times in my life. I have never been asked by any of them if I wanted to be a car mechanic.

I sometimes will see my mailman and say "hi." He has never asked me if ...[text shortened]... have gone out to eat many times. I have never been asked if I wanted to be a chef or waiter.
    How would you like to be a farmer?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree