1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 19:21
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    My apologies. Could you find the line which says she was coerced?
    I'm leaving that as an exercise for the interested reader.
  2. The sky
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 19:25
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I have been through the checkout line in a grocery store m any times in my life. I have never been asked by the cashier if I wanted to be a cashier.

I have been to the car mechanic many times in my life. I have never been asked by any of them if I wanted to be a car mechanic.

I sometimes will see my mailman and say "hi." He has never asked me if ...[text shortened]... have gone out to eat many times. I have never been asked if I wanted to be a chef or waiter.
    Bad analogies. In those scenarios, you were simply a customer, not someone showing an interest in anything the job would entail. If you'd start to rearrange misplaced food in the grocery store, it wouldn't be too surprising if they'd ask if you have ever thought about working in a grocery store. If you'd not only bring your car to the car mechanic, but stay there to see what exactly he's doing and lend him a hand, I wouldn't surprised if he'd ask if you have ever thought of becoming a car mechanic. Etc.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 19:282 edits
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    I'm leaving that as an exercise for the interested reader.
    Come off it. The girl had broken off her engagement; she was confused about her life goals. A retreat was an ideal situation to discern her "purpose". She was hardly coerced; given her initial decision to visit the cathedral, it is obvious that she wanted to pray about these matters. A nun didn't need to coerce her.

So the evidence you have that she manipulated amounts to: a nun asked her if she had considered becoming a nun and asked her to attend a retreat. You must be really low on anti-Catholic ammunition.

Why is it that all her family and friends are satisfied that she has made a mature choice?
  4. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 19:31
    "Two years ago, Marry sent Parra to a priest for an eight-day silent retreat."
    "Sent" = told to go to that guy for a retreat.

She has about seven years before she's allowed to make a permanent commitment, and prior to that can leave. It doesn't look good: she cried a lot instead of being sure, and she lived with mommy and daddy up until she entered. Once she's there for a while, she'll be better able to make a mature decision either way. There are many steps and statuses between now and then. Even after she makes permanent vows, it is still possible to leave the order; it just becomes more complicated then and involves the Pope.

Some churches still believe what was written on that church's web site (my cousins went to that church and its school!). Many think that's a bunch of poppycock and have both male and female altar servers regardless of how many boys are available.

(Going back to my school work now. Shame on you for starting an interesting thread!)
  5. The sky
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 19:321 edit
    Until the priests and nuns started manipulating her, and even well afterwards, she knew that she wanted to be a wife and a mother. She seems like a kind-hearted woman that would be perfectly suited to both roles.
    We all have to make decisions, and that often means that we have to give up on something we would really like to do, in favour of something else we'd also really like to do. She'll probably have some regrets (of course if those regrets turn out to be too strong, she can still change her mind). She'd probably also have some regrets if she had chosen to be a wife and mother over becoming a nun.

I wonder if you would react in the same way if a woman had always thought she'd want to become a nun, and then she met a man who courted her, she fell in love, completely changed her mind about what she wanted to do with her life and became a wife and mother.
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 20:26
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I have been through the checkout line in a grocery store m any times in my life. I have never been asked by the cashier if I wanted to be a cashier.
    That's just because you're black.
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 20:412 edits
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    "Sent" = told to go to that guy for a retreat.
    All I know is that if I ever wind up at an 8-day prayer retreat, it's because somebody sent me there -- as in packed me in a box and had UPS deliver me.
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 20:43
    All I know is that if I ever wind up at an 8-day prayer retreat, it's because somebody sent me there -- as in packed me in a box and had UPS deliver me.
    What if they furnished Popeye's fried chicken?
  9. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 20:54
    Well now here we have what's really different. You disagree with her faith and so you can't understand her decisions. Maybe she'd feel sorry for you in return for being Godless!?
  10. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 22:46
    Come off it. The girl had broken off her engagement; she was confused about her life goals. A retreat was an ideal situation to discern her "purpose". She was hardly coerced; given her initial decision to visit the cathedral, it is obvious that she wanted to pray about these matters. A nun didn't need to coerce her.

So the evidence you have that she ma ...[text shortened]...

Why is it that all her family and friends are satisfied that she has made a mature choice?
    Was the Pope coerced or manipulated into joining the Hitler Youth?
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 22:57
    Was the Pope coerced or manipulated into joining the Hitler Youth?
    Coerced. The Pope was an unwilling recruit whose life would have been jeopardised had he overtly resisted the Hitler regime.

http://bc.edu/research/cjl/meta-elements/texts/cjrelations/topics/new_pope_defied_nazis.htm
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Aug '08 06:38
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    We all have to make decisions, and that often means that we have to give up on something we would really like to do, in favour of something else we'd also really like to do. She'll probably have some regrets (of course if those regrets turn out to be too strong, she can still change her mind). She'd probably also have some regrets if she had chosen to be a w ...[text shortened]... ely changed her mind about what she wanted to do with her life and became a wife and mother.
    It would be nice if Doc responded to this post.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Aug '08 06:40
    Coerced. The Pope was an unwilling recruit whose life would have been jeopardised had he overtly resisted the Hitler regime.

http://bc.edu/research/cjl/meta-elements/texts/cjrelations/topics/new_pope_defied_nazis.htm
    I did not think that a devout Catholic would value his life over all other considerations.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Aug '08 06:46
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I did not think that a devout Catholic would value his life over all other considerations.
    He does not have a moral duty to sacrifice his life; he is only morally bound to avoid material cooperation in evil acts. From what I can make of the NYT article, he did not cooperate with the Hitler Youth. It is not even clear whether he enrolled himself, or whether the seminary or his school did.
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 Aug '08 15:22
    Is it ethical for a nun to approach a woman wearing a wedding ring about becoming a nun?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree