1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Dec '18 15:14
    @sonship said
    @caissad4
    You cannot even prove your god even exists.

For me to want to draw close to God doesn't require this proof in some mathematical way. It is sufficient for me believe I am certainly on the right track.

Look at the formation of sperm and egg cell into a child in human reproduction. Do you honestly think the process arose by accidents?

I ...[text shortened]... telligence ? I don't have that much faith for that.

I don't have enough faith to be an Atheist.
    Sonship you can’t even answer the simplest of questions pitched at you about your beliefs...let alone prove that God exists!
  2. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    16 Dec '18 17:22
    @sonship said
    @caissad4
    You cannot even prove your god even exists.

For me to want to draw close to God doesn't require this proof in some mathematical way. It is sufficient for me believe I am certainly on the right track.
    Look at the formation of sperm and egg cell into a child in human reproduction. Do you honestly think the process arose by accidents?
    I thin ...[text shortened]... intelligence ? I don't have that much faith for that.
    I don't have enough faith to be an Atheist.
    Very good ! An admission that you have NO proof.
    Woden, Zeus and The Flying Spaghetti Monster are all in that category.
    I am not an atheist, just an agnostic looking for truth.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Dec '18 19:072 edits
    @caissad4

I might not be able to "prove" God's existence.

I also could not prove that the earth is not standing completely still with all the universe moving around it.

You cannot prove that the universe is not just 15 minutes old.

One hundred % proof like that requires 100% knowledge.
    Do you have omniscience ?

There's also

But you want to make them all equivalent. However, I bet you spend ten times more energy arguing against the God of the Bible then you do spend debunking Zeus or the Spaghetti Monster.

If you are searching for truth you should recognize there must be some reason why the God of the Bible calls for more contemplation from you then the Spaghetti Monster.

Pointing to a Flying Spaghetti Monster I think is just a self medication, a dubious comfort that you can lump God of the Bible in with absurdities and feel justified in this blanket dismissal. I think you hope to pacify your concern for your eternal destiny by rationalizing Christ is as absurd as the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Write one sentence from Wotan or Zeus which demands the same level of considering your ways as the words of God and Christ in the Bible.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Dec '18 19:43
    @sonship said
    Pointing to a Flying Spaghetti Monster I think is just a self medication, a dubious comfort that you can lump God of the Bible in with absurdities and feel justified in this blanket dismissal.
    The "Flying Spaghetti Monster" thing is an analogy, not "self-medication". It alludes to the "...argument that the philosophic burden of proof lies upon those who make unfalsifiable claims, not on those who reject them." [Wiki] But you know this.
  5. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 18:28
    @fmf said
    The "Flying Spaghetti Monster" thing is an analogy, not "self-medication". It alludes to the "...argument that the philosophic burden of proof lies upon those who make unfalsifiable claims, not on those who reject them." [Wiki] But you know this.
    Unfalsifiable claims?

If a claim is "unfalsifiable", then why does there need to be proof?

If an atheist says there is no God, and bases that claim on the unfalsifiable assertion that there is no evidence for the existence of a creator, then, according to that logic, the atheists bears the burden of proving it, not on those who reject that logic.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 20:33
    @secondson said
    Unfalsifiable claims?

If a claim is "unfalsifiable", then why does there need to be proof?
    You need to have a think about what the term "unfalsifiable claims" means.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 20:36
    @secondson said
    If an atheist says there is no God, and bases that claim on the unfalsifiable assertion that there is no evidence for the existence of a creator, then, according to that logic, the atheists bears the burden of proving it, not on those who reject that logic.
    I suggest you take this up with people who believe there is no god or gods.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Dec '18 12:25
    @caissad4 said
    The reason that God cannot be proven or disproven is to maintain free will.

There can be no proof of God, so that people can feel free to believe in him or to not believe in him.

This is so scripture may be fulfilled, that no one has been coerced to believe or to disbelieve; it is man's choice, and no one else's, so that they are without excuse. That they had choice to believe, and yet chose not to believe, the blame for their unbelief is theirs alone.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 04:561 edit
    @secondson said
    Don't you want to be gotten by God?

You know, the one and only God. The God that calls to account those that blaspheme His name and pays everlasting punishment to for their sins?
    Your threats that your version of God will “get me” for somehow “blaspheming in name” because I ruffle your feathers on an Internet discussing board, may sound impressive to the elderly, the innocent and the young in your little church group, but they have zero impact on me Joseph.
  10. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 08:54
    @divegeester said
    Your threats that your version of God will “get me” for somehow “blaspheming in name” because I ruffle your feathers on an Internet discussing board, may sound impressive to the elderly, the innocent and the young in your little church group, but they have zero impact on me Joseph.
    It's up to you, BillyBob, whether or not God gets you.

You can say whatever you want, here, there or anywhere, it doesn't "ruffle my feathers" at all. It's not my problem if you keep spouting troll bile, evade discussion or misquote scripture and generally miss the topic by losing your ball in the weeds.

Helpful hint: try proof reading your posts for accuracy of grammar, whether or not you're on topic and most importantly, be sure your statements related to what the scriptures say is true.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 09:101 edit
    @secondson said
    You can say whatever you want, here, there or anywhere, it doesn't "ruffle my feathers" at all.
    And yet you chase me around from thread to thread firing off your threats that your version of will get me, starting threads about yourself to try and prove what a big tough guy Christian you are, fielding veiled threats that as you’re an ex-tough guy that it would be better for me if I didn’t meet you and your god “gets me” instead, starting threads about me and my errors, accusing me of being a fake Christian with insidious agenda of harms bible believing Christians..and on and on and on.

Sounds to me like your tough guy fur is well and truly rubbed up the wrong way Joseph.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 09:18
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Luke has Mary and Joseph traveling from their home in Nazareth in Galilee to Bethlehem in Judea for the birth of Jesus (Luke 2:4). Matthew, in contradiction to Luke, says that it was only after the birth of Jesus that Mary and Joseph resided in Nazareth, and then only because they were afraid to return to Judea (Matthew 2:21-23).

In order to have Jesus born in Beth ...[text shortened]... found out by simply asking rather than causing thousands of people to travel).

(The Secular web)
    Luke and Matthew didn't have Wikipedia back then to fact-check, so they just told the story as they heard it. Hardly a crime, and it doesn't mean there's no truth in it.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 09:28
    @suzianne said
    Luke and Matthew didn't have Wikipedia back then to fact-check, so they just told the story as they heard it. Hardly a crime, and it doesn't mean there's no truth in it.
    Are you acknowledging that there are inaccuracies in the Bible?
  14. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 12:33
    @divegeester said
    And yet you chase me around from thread to thread firing off your threats that your version of will get me, starting threads about yourself to try and prove what a big tough guy Christian you are, fielding veiled threats that as you’re an ex-tough guy that it would be better for me if I didn’t meet you and your god “gets me” instead, starting threads about me and my error ...[text shortened]... on and on.

Sounds to me like your tough guy fur is well and truly rubbed up the wrong way Joseph.
    You are projecting your presumptions based on misconceptions.

Unfortunately, you have a siege mentality, which is causing you to feel threatened and intimidated, which in turn causes you to feel defensive, which results in your assuming an offensive posture of troll baiting, victim stancing and fleeing when no one is in pursuit.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 13:14
    @secondson said
    You are projecting your presumptions based on misconceptions.

Unfortunately, you have a siege mentality, which is causing you to feel threatened and intimidated, which in turn causes you to feel defensive, which results in your assuming an offensive posture of troll baiting, victim stancing and fleeing when no one is in pursuit.
    I'm no more intimidated by you now than in your previous rhp incarnation Joseph. You are still just a typical out-of-the-box American blowhardy right-wing bully-boy christian who is a big guy in his little church where the old ladies and kiddies accept you as the "spiritual muscle" and taxi driver, but is nothing here other than one of the gang of 3 stooges. You don't impress me in the slightest with your "I'm an ex tough guy" claims and threats to get your version of god to "get me". In fact I'd go so far as to say that you and the other dynamic duo represent pretty much everything I have grown to detest in contemporary corporate Christianity.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree