1. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    05 Dec '18 21:40
    "They are not lies, those words are my honest perspective of you. You come across as a guy who’s been in his “church” a long time, possibly and elder, but more likely leader/overseer of the youth group. I get this impression by you turning up here and pontificating on scripture like you are talking to a bunch of green youngsters at your church who all think your pompous words add up to something more than just an expression of your blowhardiness."

I've been attending a local church now for about two years. Prior to that I had fellowship in about six other churches over a period of 35 years in several other states.

The "church" I now attend is small. Maybe 2-3 dozen individuals depending on their life's circumstances at any given time.

Names are withheld to protect the innocent.

Their ages range from infants to in their eighties. Three older men have recently undergone surgery to remove tumors from their heads and neck, and received chemotherapy and radiation treatments.

One old gal, who I love dearly, and who never fails to give me a big hug and kiss, has survived at least two husbands. With her every Sunday she brings a young woman in her mid to late thirties that was abused by her father to the extent that she is emotionally, psychologically and intellectually impaired, and her mother called the police when she learned her daughter was talking to a young man.

A young couple in their early twenties having issues with heroine addiction. They have two small children.

A woman around thirty who's husband died of cancer a couple of years ago, left with two preteen daughters.

A woman that's been married and divorced I believe three times who's middle son in his early twenties died a year ago after having his head stomped in by an individual that got away with it.

Ordinary people with ordinary life issues we see all around us. And others too that don't carry as much baggage.

We gather together each week for fellowship and to worship our savior, and to eat a meal after services. Our purpose and meaning in life is to minister to one another providing support, encouragement and love. To spend time together while in this pilgrimage by building one another up in the Lord. Getting together to share our lives, concerns, hopes and dreams, even our broken dreams.

My wife has a gift with children. We all know that a child can spot a phony. The children love her because she's gentle, sincere, genuine and authentic. She's involved in the children's ministry and has years of experience.

There are more stories. Just like everywhere where people are hurting. It's what the business of Christianity is about. Providing refuge as it were.

What do I do at "my church"? Well, I'm not a teacher. I'm not "apt to teach". Not a councilor. I take a more practical approach to ministry. If someone needs a car, I have a few sitting around I'd give away. A medical or an electric bill is over due, I can take care of it. I have certain strengths and abilities. I solve problems. You might say I'm like spiritual muscle. (Metaphorically speaking) For example, if there's a one that is causing divisions, I identify the cause and eliminate it.

And I pray.

Now to the one that seeks to judge me, you are causing offense against my brothers and sisters in Christ because when you criticize me in conjunction with my church, you are criticizing my family.

You're in trouble now because I'm putting you at the top of my prayer list. God will deal with you, but not like me. God is so very kind and gentle and infinitely patient.

He gonna get you boy! 😉
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Dec '18 00:03
    @secondson said
    [b]"They are not lies, those words are my honest perspective of you. You come across as a guy who’s been in his “church” a long time, possibly and elder, but more likely leader/overseer of the youth group. I get this impression by you turning up here and pontificating on scripture like you are talking to a bunch of green youngsters at your church who all think your pompous ...[text shortened]... but not like me. God is so very kind and gentle and infinitely patient.

He gonna get you boy! 😉
    Well-said, and heartfelt. I think most churches are the same, especially older, well-established churches. At least I would hope so. Few here know of the burdens carried by others. Some just don't care.

Would the person who thumbed down this post say that their action was an action of integrity or expressive of their morality, or of cowardice, and/or malice?

I don't expect an answer to that question.
  3. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    06 Dec '18 00:18
    @suzianne said
    Well-said, and heartfelt. I think most churches are the same, especially older, well-established churches. At least I would hope so. Few here know of the burdens carried by others. Some just don't care.

Would the person who thumbed down this post say that their action was an action of integrity or expressive of their morality, or of cowardice, and/or malice?

I don't expect an answer to that question.
    Thanks suzianne. You have a good heart.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Dec '18 01:402 edits
    @SecondSon
    Thanks for sharing so much of your serving and meeting life.
    Your testimony is inspiring to me.

I read through it twice for absorption.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Dec '18 05:552 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Dec '18 05:58
    @secondson said
    Now to the one that seeks to judge me, you are causing offense against my brothers and sisters in Christ because when you criticize me in conjunction with my church, you are criticizing my family.
    You're in trouble now because I'm putting you at the top of my prayer list. God will deal with you, but not like me. God is so very kind and gentle and infinitely patient.
    He gonna get you boy! 😉
    In church and with your family you are what you do; in here SecondSon, in the online world, you are what you post. My posts are aimed at you and you alone; if you choose to come here and put about your blowhardiness and subsequently try to hide within or behind a list of your church’s congregational persons-in-need, then that is a reflection of your character, not my posting

Apparently I’m not as easily impressed as the other contributors to your self-serving eulogy of your churchy deeds, or by your showy promises of prayer which are in reality, thinly veiled threats of how your version of God will “deal with me” and “get me”.

If you want to call me as you see me then that’s absolutely fine with me and totally acceptable. I’ll do the same, but without the reinforcement of posting my Sunday résumé or calls to my God to “deal with” my forum detractors.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Dec '18 06:18
    @secondson said
    My wife has a gift with children. We all know that a child can spot a phony. The children love her because she's gentle, sincere, genuine and authentic. She's involved in the children's ministry and has years of experience.

What do I do at "my church"? Well, I'm not a teacher. I'm not "apt to teach". Not a councilor. I take a more practical approach to ministry. If someo ...[text shortened]... but not like me. God is so very kind and gentle and infinitely patient.

He gonna get you boy! 😉
    It's great that you are helping people and I respect that.
    But you don't need a religion to do that.

I'm sure your wife is a lovely lady and helps people.
    But please don't let her indoctrinate children.

The two of you would make fine atheists.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Dec '18 06:26
    @suzianne said
    Why would you call it "cowardice"? Have you not been an ardent - indeed, sometimes an apoplectic - proponent of anonymous thumbs down as an essential expression of free speech?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Dec '18 06:31
    @secondson said
    [b]"They are not lies, those words are my honest perspective of you. You come across as a guy who’s been in his “church” a long time, possibly and elder, but more likely leader/overseer of the youth group. I get this impression by you turning up here and pontificating on scripture like you are talking to a bunch of green youngsters at your church who all think your pompous ...[text shortened]... but not like me. God is so very kind and gentle and infinitely patient.

He gonna get you boy! 😉
    If you are a Christian who commands respect in your church community, as you seem to have portrayed yourself to be in this OP, then that's good. It makes the apparent effect of online disinhibition on your forum persona all the more fascinating.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Dec '18 07:37
    @fmf said
    Why would you call it "cowardice"? Have you not been an ardent - indeed, sometimes an apoplectic - proponent of anonymous thumbs down as an essential expression of free speech?
    Have you not been an ardent, if not misguided, voice against "misanthropic" posting? Yet you now cave here, just so you can take a swing at me. Is that your version of "integrity"?
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Dec '18 07:39
    @fmf said
    If you are a Christian who commands respect in your church community, as you seem to have portrayed yourself to be in this OP, then that's good. It makes the apparent effect of online disinhibition on your forum persona all the more fascinating.
    I see you still specialize in damning with faint praise.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Dec '18 09:291 edit
    @suzianne said
    Have you not been an ardent, if not misguided, voice against "misanthropic" posting?
    No. I don't think so. Not "misguided", no.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Dec '18 09:31
    @suzianne said
    I see you still specialize in damning with faint praise.
    He is what he posts, like divegeester said. We all are. If his claims about himself are true, then good for him. I am not saying that in a "faint" way at all. What I am saying ~ what the words you were replying to said ~ is that he gap between the two personas is interesting
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Dec '18 09:35
    @suzianne said
    Yet you now cave here, just so you can take a swing at me. Is that your version of "integrity"?
    You have vociferously defended the right to give thumbs down anonymously. I haven't heard you claim that anonymous thumbs down were "cowardly" or lacked "integrity" before. I even remember you disagreeing with Grampy Bobby in public when he claimed that anonymous thumbs down were "cowardly" or lacked "integrity". You were strident about it. Has your stance changed. It seems to have.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Dec '18 09:41
    @secondson said
    Well, I'm not a teacher. I'm not "apt to teach". Not a councilor. I take a more practical approach to ministry. If someone needs a car, I have a few sitting around I'd give away. A medical or an electric bill is overdue, I can take care of it. I have certain strengths and abilities. I solve problems. You might say I'm like spiritual muscle. (Metaphorically speaking) For example, if there's a one that is causing divisions, I identify the cause and eliminate it.
    Presumably "divisions" means differences of opinion between people. But if, by your own admission, you have neither the skills of a teacher nor the skills of a counsellor, how can you "eliminate" differences of opinion?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree