1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '18 06:55
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    My personal opinion is your posts aren’t convincing enough to turn someone away from Christianity who wasn’t already predisposed to feel that way.

So in that sense, you may have reinforced their decision but I wouldn’t say you were the cause of it.
    The fact that sonship seriously thinks that my posts could help send people to "Hell" means that my question to him is rooted in how seriously he takes himself and what would he do if he ever thought his proselytizing was counterproductive. You seem to think you need to shield sonship from my question: you don't.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '18 06:58
    You don’t see a contradiction between thinking something is a waste of time and spending hours every day discussing it?

🙄
    I don't think ~ and I have never claimed once in over ten years ~ that talking to sonship is "a waste of time". You have introduced this notion into the conversation, not me,
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '18 07:02
    Originally posted by @fmf
    The fact that sonship seriously thinks that my posts could help send people to "Hell" means that my question to him is rooted in how seriously he takes himself and what would he do if he ever thought his proselytizing was counterproductive. You seem to think you need to shield sonship from my question: you don't.
    Based on posts of his that I’ve read, I think he takes Christianity and Christ’s command re: the Great Commission very seriously. I don’t think that means he takes himself seriously in the way you’re suggesting.

Your suggestion that his “proselytizing” is counterproductive is, again, you insinuating by use of a hypothetical that you speak for other people.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '18 07:031 edit
    I don't think ~ and I have never claimed once in over ten years ~ that talking to sonship is "a waste of time". You have introduced this notion into the conversation, not me,
    I’m talking about the subject matter, not sonship. If you think Christianity is nonsense and a waste of time, why spend hours every day discussing it? What’s the motivation?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '18 07:17
    I’m talking about the subject matter, not sonship. If you think Christianity is nonsense and a waste of time, why spend hours every day discussing it? What’s the motivation?
    I enjoy debate and discussion. I have never once claimed that Christianity is "a waste of time". Indeed, if it gives people comfort and a sense of purpose in their lives ~ and if it helps them to behave in a morally sound way ~ then it clearly is not "a waste of time", and I have said so many times.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '18 07:18
    Your suggestion that his “proselytizing” is counterproductive is, again, you insinuating by use of a hypothetical that you speak for other people.
    The question is from me to him.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '18 07:24
    I enjoy debate and discussion. I have never once claimed that Christianity is "a waste of time". Indeed, if it gives people comfort and a sense of purpose in their lives ~ and if it helps them to behave in a morally sound way ~ then it clearly is not "a waste of time", and I have said so many times.
    Well I’ve only been on here a month so am not aware of what you wrote prior to that. I should have taken that into consideration.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '18 07:27
    The question is from me to him.
    Just pointing out the obvious.

You seem to object to his use of a hypothetical on you (that you may be causing people to go to hell) while using essentially the same hypothetical on him, couched as a question.

You’re doing the same thing you’re objecting to.

🙄
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '18 07:39
    You seem to object to his use of a hypothetical on you (that you may be causing people to go to hell) while using essentially the same hypothetical on him, couched as a question.
    I am asking him if he ever ponders whether his intellectual and spiritual behaviour here is counterproductive in terms of what he sees as his spiritual mission and if he would stop if he ever thought it was. Nobody is going to "Hell", Romans1009.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '18 07:43
    I am asking him if he ever ponders whether his intellectual and spiritual behaviour here is counterproductive in terms of what he sees as his spiritual mission and if he would stop if he ever thought it was. Nobody is going to "Hell", Romans1009.
    You objected to his saying that while at the same time questioning whether he’s doing the same thing.

You’re doing the same thing you objected to.

🙄
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '18 07:49
    You objected to his saying that while at the same time questioning whether he’s doing the same thing. You’re doing the same thing you objected to.
    Don't be silly. His claim about me being responsible for "hundreds" of people here at RHP to burn in "Hell" illustrates how ludicrously serious he takes himself and his beliefs. I don't object to him saying what he said ~ don't be a complete oaf ~ it's utter nonsense. He can spout whatever he wants. But the fact that his mind is even thinking about such a thing makes my question to him valid even within the confines of his own terms of reference.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '18 08:23
    Don't be silly. His claim about me being responsible for "hundreds" of people here at RHP to burn in "Hell" illustrates how ludicrously serious he takes himself and his beliefs. I don't object to him saying what he said ~ don't be a complete oaf ~ it's utter nonsense. He can spout whatever he wants. But the fact that his mind is even thinking about such a thing makes my question to him valid even within the confines of his own terms of reference.
    If one believes God exists and that the fate of people when they die is either eternal life or damnation, how could you not take that seriously? And you’re again, I think, mistaking him taking Christianity and the Bible seriously with him taking himself seriously in a negative way.

If you don’t object to what he said and if it’s “utter nonsense,” why did you remember it all these years, and why bring it up now? You’re making no sense. If someone says something to me that I don’t object to and think is “utter nonsense,” I certainly don’t obsess about it for years.

As far as your question to him, you seem to be justifying your own bad behavior by citing his bad behavior - and claiming your behavior isn’t bad even though you’re doing the same thing for which you’re criticizing him.

🙄
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '18 08:25
    If one believes God exists and that the fate of people when they die is either eternal life or damnation, how could you not take that seriously? And you’re again, I think, mistaking him taking Christianity and the Bible seriously with him taking himself seriously in a negative way.

If you don’t object to what he said and if it’s “utter nonsense,” why ...[text shortened]... our behavior isn’t bad even though you’re doing the same thing for which you’re criticizing him.
    None of this stuff you have typed addresses the question I put to sonship.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '18 08:29
    I was responding to your post. If you have no rebuttal, and it’s apparent you don’t, don’t feel compelled to reply.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '18 08:32
    I see you took off the emoji with the rolling eyeballs when you quoted my post.

Talk about hyper-sensitive!

🙄

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree