1. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '11 13:14
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So you have explained why you exist. You haven't however explained how this gives your life meaning, and to whom it gives meaning and why that meaning is somehow superior to the meaning in my life.
    I fear that if you do not get saved you will also have meaning:

"Jehovah has made everything for its own purpose, Yes, even the wicked for the day of evil." (Proverbs 16:4)

I think being a part of God's great New Jerusalem, the city to be filled with the living God is better then being the wicked for the day of judgment.

I don't think there is a comparison. But if you do not get saved I fear that that is the purpose that you will ultimately partake in.
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '11 13:36
    Whether we like it or not, what really defines out purpose is the God who made us. The Creator has the plan and we are created according to it.

God also put a longing in us for His plan. We cannot get rid of it. A Coca Cola bottle is made to contain Coca Cola. He cannot change that. A lightbulb has its purpose to shine with the electrical current to give light. He cannot change that.

Of course these are non- animated things in a imperfect example. But we human beings were created by God in the image of God to be in dominion for God over God's creation. We need to know what that looks like.

It looks like a lot. But one of the main things it looks like is dominion over sin and death. And to see that we have to study the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. Jesus is what God meant by man.

Now I said above that our designer has even put the longing in our hearts for His purpose. I believe so. Because Solomon wrote:

"He [God] has made everything beautiful in its own time; also He has put eternity in their heart, yet so that man does not find out what God has done from the beginning to the end." (Ecc. 3:11)

Just focusing on the phrase " ... also He has put eternity in their heart ..."

I don't believe any other creature on earth spends time wondering about eternity. I don't think other animals contempate death or the end of their lives.

Solomon says God has placed eternity in man's heart. I take this to mean that there is a kind of vacuum deep within man's being which longs for something eternal, everlasting, something that will never cease or die. This "something" is God Himself.

Ephesians says the fallen man is "alienated from the life of God" and Solomon wrote that God has placed eternity into man's heart. If you put the two togethe, it shows that man has a longing for the eternal life of God from which, through sin, he was alienated and estranged.

Christ came to put that eternal divine life into the heart of man.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Feb '11 13:45
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Yes I did. And I have a lot more to say. I even told you why I breath and why my heart beats.
    You keep telling my 'why', what you have not told me, is how 'why' translates into 'meaning' or how that 'meaning' is superior to any other 'meaning'.
  4. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '11 17:491 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You keep telling my 'why', what you have not told me, is how 'why' translates into 'meaning' or how that 'meaning' is superior to any other 'meaning'.
    I've told you plenty. I haven't fallen into your quicksand pit of symantics and tricky word play.

"What's the meaning of meaning?" and other nonsense like that. That's the dance I haven't done for you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree