Christ as virus

Christ as virus

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
07 Nov 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Halitose
[b]scatological

Borrowing a term, are we?[/b]
Borrowing...? It's an ordinary word. And RatX keeps on talking about crap.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
07 Nov 05

Originally posted by RatX
When did I propound on my view of sexuality, you homo-erectus (j/k)?
Your image of chasing David C through the threads with a piece of dirty toilet paper is quite suggestive! Just doing your self-appointed job I guess...

R

Hamelin: RAT-free

Moves
07 Nov 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Your image of chasing David C through the threads with a piece of dirty toilet paper is quite suggestive! Just doing your self-appointed job I guess...
At least you didn't throw the "may I tuck in your stool" pickup line my way (if you find that suggestive)...

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
07 Nov 05

Originally posted by RatX
At least you didn't throw the "may I tuck in your stool" pickup line my way (if you find that suggestive)...
I don't want to get into a scatfight.

R

Hamelin: RAT-free

Moves
07 Nov 05

I don't want to get into a scatfight.
Drat! Cheers then...

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
07 Nov 05

"The teachings of Christ make sense on a virus level. What does your virus do with enemies? It makes enemies into itself. If he hasn't caught it from the first cheek, turn the other cheek. There are few things more difficult than loving your enemies. So anyone who can do it will gain heavy power. Loving an enemy is an inhuman practice, placing the practitioner far above--or far below--the human level." (W.S. Burroughs, Ghost of Chance).
Great quote. The word virus is used for emotional purposes but that is part of the beauty of literature.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
07 Nov 05
1 edit

Originally posted by catfoodtim
Althusser would agree: the family, marriage and religion are all processes which enforce and reinforce a dominant ideology. A bit Marxist perhaps but its an interesting point in that we get our 'common sense' values primarily from our families.
Funny that such an avowed Marxist would express views that are "a bit Marxist perhaps." 🙄

Althusser recognized all these institutions of indoctrination as elements in the Ideological State Apparatus. When folks refuse to comply with the restrictions on their freedom that are dictated by these dominant ideologies, the police power of the State (the Repressive State Apparatus) enforces conformity.

Christians wish for their beliefs to work as a virus, spreading through society until it becomes the emergent, and ultimately the dominant ideology. However, their hope will become despair as they realize that Christian ideology has lost its power to convince; it remains only as the residual ideology of another era. All this is why Nietzsche declared the death of God--God is an idea whose time has passed.

In a similar vein, Burroughs was fighting a rear-guard action for language--especially poetic language--in a society that is no longer graphocentric (if it ever was).

l

London

Moves
07 Nov 05

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Funny that such an avowed Marxist would express views that are "a bit Marxist perhaps." 🙄

Althusser recognized all these institutions of indoctrination as elements in the Ideological State Apparatus. When folks refuse to comply with the restrictions on their freedom that are dictated by these dominant ideologies, the police power of the State (the Repr ...[text shortened]... uage--especially poetic language--in a society that is no longer graphocentric (if it ever was).
However, their hope will become despair as they realize that Christian ideology has lost its power to convince; it remains only as the residual ideology of another era. All this is why Nietzsche declared the death of God--God is an idea whose time has passed.

And yet He still plays a critical role in elections...

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
07 Nov 05
1 edit

Originally posted by lucifershammer
However, their hope will become despair as they realize that Christian ideology has lost its power to convince; it remains only as the residual ideology of another era. All this is why Nietzsche declared the death of God--God is an idea whose time has passed.

Don't confuse God with his believers.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
07 Nov 05

Not God. If he did, George would be another failed seeker.

l

London

Moves
07 Nov 05

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Not God. If he did, George would be another failed seeker.
The ways of God are mysterious indeed ...

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
07 Nov 05

Originally posted by Palynka
Considering what his believers are capable of, I wouldn't blame Him for being confused.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
07 Nov 05

Originally posted by David C
Actually, yes...although the 'unmitigated load of crap' line would probably come from Ratx.

What part of my statement do you find so incredulous?
WADR (With all...etc), its a lame, blind, limp strawman.

l

London

Moves
07 Nov 05

Originally posted by Palynka
According to Wulebgr, God is an idea. So no distinguishing God from His believers.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
07 Nov 05

According to Wulebgr, God is an idea. So no distinguishing God from His believers.
Good point, but for that argument to hold you must admit that the entity God does not exist. That's practically throwing the towel...