1. London
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 17:33
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Good point, but for that argument to hold you must admit that the entity God does not exist. That's practically throwing the towel...
    I'm just following the argument to see how far it goes. No commitment on my part. 🙂
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 17:37
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    I'm just following the argument to see how far it goes. No commitment on my part. 🙂
    Your starting to see the seducing power of the atheist's reasoning. Don't be afraid of the Dark Side... 😉
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 17:451 edit
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    According to Wulebgr, God is an idea. So no distinguishing God from His believers.
    Ideas may exist only in peoples' thoughts, but they still are distinguished easily from those who hold them. Otherwise, we grant more personhood to the leech that lacks ideas than to the human who cannot be distinguished from her ideas.
  4. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 17:46
    Originally posted by Halitose
    WADR (With all...etc), its a lame, blind, limp strawman.
    How so? Do you object to my characterizing xtianity as hedonistic?
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 17:47
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Ideas may exist only in peoples' thoughts, but they still are distinguished easily from those who hold them. Otherwise, we grant more personhood to the leech that lacks ideas than to the human who cannot be distinguished from her ideas.
    But ideas do influence elections, do they not? The argument implies a negation of the entity of God as an influence, but it is coherent in itself.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 17:49
    Originally posted by David C
    How so? Do you object to my characterizing xtianity as hedonistic?
    Actually, there is no other way of life apart from the hedonistic by your exposure. It's a slight distortion of the definition of hedonism, IMO.
  7. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 21:38
    Actually, there is no other way of life apart from the hedonistic by your exposure. It's a slight distortion of the definition of hedonism, IMO.
    I wouldn't consider mere sustenance as Hedonism, would you? Eating, sleeping, washing the dishes, hunting and/or gathering to provide for your family...anything beyond day to day existence. Anything that gives one pleasure, whether it's getting a hummer from a drunken college babe (or two) to reading scripture in the hope of finding that piece of information that will soothe one's existential angst of losing self...is the pursuit of pleasure and the definition of Hedonism. At least, IMO.

What about the Christian Hedonists themselves? Have they distorted the definition, too?

http://www.desiringgod.org/library/topics/christian_hedonism/ch_index.html
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 22:54
    But ideas do influence elections, do they not? The argument implies a negation of the entity of God as an influence, but it is coherent in itself.
    You got me there!

Assuming God really exists, he or she is not influencing US elections. At least the God who many believes revealed himself through the life and work of Jesus of Nazareth is not doing so, for if he were, they surely would go another way.

The God of whom we can confirm existence--the one created in the minds of believers--has become the tipping point in American society and elections at least since 1980, if not since 1976.

I saw Jimmy Carter's new book at Costco this weekend, and read a big chunk. He addresses wisely the damage being done to America by the God Squad.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree