1. Joined
    14 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 22:20
    For my own clarification, I would like to know (a) who exactly is a Christian here (b) how do you know you are one and (c) when did this decision specifically occur?

What I don't want is the "I'm a good person" or "I've gone to church my whole life" or "I'm Catholic". Christians will know what I'm talking about and can distinguish the difference in being a Christian and in those 3 statements above.

Thank you my brethren for answering. May grace and peace fill you will all joy and comfort.
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 22:30
    Originally posted by ngeisler88
    For my own clarification, I would like to know (a) who exactly is a Christian here (b) how do you know you are one and (c) when did this decision specifically occur?

What I don't want is the "I'm a good person" or "I've gone to church my whole life" or "I'm Catholic". Christians will know what I'm talking about and can distinguish the difference in bei ...[text shortened]... you my brethren for answering. May grace and peace fill you will all joy and comfort.
    a) Yes.
    b) It is actually a very long story. but if you would like some of the details I would gladly share them. I can sum it all up for you with the words of Paul. "For me to live is Christ. To die is gain."
    c) 16 January 1996.

Extra info: I am 21 yrs old.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 22:34

What I don't want is the "I'm a good person" or "I've gone to church my whole life" or "I'm Catholic". Christians will know what I'm talking about and can distinguish the difference in bei ...[text shortened]... you my brethren for answering. May grace and peace fill you will all joy and comfort.
    A) I am
    B) He that confesses Jesus as Lord and believes that God raised him from the dead shall be saved.
    C) June 1990

How about yourself?
  4. Lisbon
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 22:38
    Hi,

I consider myself a Christian, having obeyed and obeying the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.

For one to be a Christian, one has to take the following steps:

1 - Listen to the Word of God (Faith comes by hearing)
    2 - Believe that Jesus is the Son of God, that He died for our sins, resurected, and ascenden to heaven where He is sitting at the right hand of His Father (Faith)
    3 - Repent from sins (change one's life).
    3 - Confess Jesus as His Saviour and Lord.
    4 - Be baptized for the remission of sins, to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
    5 - Live a holy life, growing continuously in the grace and knowledge of Jesus, following all teachings and examples given by Jesus, by the apostles, and inspired writers of the New Testament.

Regards
  5. Joined
    14 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 22:47
    Originally posted by xpoferens
    Hi,

I consider myself a Christian, having obeyed and obeying the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2 - Believe that Jesus is the Son of God, that He died for our sins, resurected, and ascenden to heaven where He is sitting at th ...[text shortened]... amples given by Jesus, by the apostles, and inspired writers of the New Testament.

Regards
    Thanks very much, but I have 4 questions. First, what do you mean when you say "listen" to the Word of God? Second, why are there two number 3's? (Is this a simultaneous event that occurs?) Third, do you believe baptism is necessary for salvation. Lastly, fourth, I just want to clarify - you believe you receive the Holy Spirit when baptized and not before?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 23:05
    Hi,

2 - Believe that Jesus is the Son of God, that He died for our sins, resurected, and ascenden to heaven where He is sitting at th ...[text shortened]... amples given by Jesus, by the apostles, and inspired writers of the New Testament.

Regards
    Faith is what is counted as righteousness. Therefore trusting in the word of God in Romans 10:9 for salvation is counted as faith for me. Through our faith in the sacrifice of Christ we receive salvation through through the cross via grace. Therefore, I do not believe one must be baptized to be saved. There are a myraid of examples to prove that baptism is not necessary such as the thief on the cross who died next to Christ and even God's servants who died before the time of Christ. Having said that I do believe that as a follower of Christ we should obey God's command to be baptized if able. After all, if we are really his follower we will do as he commands if we love him. As far as changing your life style I would say that if Christ has truly come into your life you will expereince a change. I know I have. After all, we are either his follower or we do our own thing. If we do our own thing why should we be called "Christian". As far as recieving the Holy Spirit I would say that this is necessary to being saved. Either he resides in you via his Spirit, ie born again, or he does not reside in you at all.
  7. Lisbon
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 23:06
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I've made a mistake regarding the numbering, sorry; it should be renumbered.

In Romans 10 it says that Faith comes by hearing (naturally one can also assume reading); in the same chapter, verse 9, confession is mentioned. Confession is mentioned in few other books. During ones life, one should confess Jesus giving witess of His name and Gospel.

Yes, I believe baptism is necessary for salvation (Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38)

Yes, I believe one recieves the Holy Spirit when one is baptized, and not before (Acts 2:38).

Take care.
  8. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 23:10
    or "I'm Catholic".
    Would you be so kind as to deliniate the difference between Christian and Catholic? Thanks in advance.
  9. Lisbon
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 23:14
    Originally posted by whodey
    Faith is what is counted as righteousness. Therefore trusting in the word of God in Romans 10:9 for salvation is counted as faith for me. Through our faith in the sacrifice of Christ we receive salvation through through the cross via grace. Therefore, I do not believe one must be baptized to be saved. There are a myraid of examples to prove that baptism i ...[text shortened]... Either he resides in you via his Spirit, ie born again, or he does not reside in you at all.
    Regarding baptism and the thief on the cross, one cannot say whether he had been previously baptized or not; one thing we know, he knew Jesus and considered Him a just man.

However, Jesus had the power to save since he is the San of God.

Another most important point, Jesus had not yet given the Great Comission which mention baptism as a condition to salvation.

Mark 16:16 "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned."

Matthew 28:19 "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
    20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, [even] unto the end of the world. Amen."

Acts 2:38 makes clear that baptism is necessary for the remission of sins and for the imparting of the Holy Spirit.
  10. Joined
    14 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 23:15
    Originally posted by David C
    Would you be so kind as to deliniate the difference between Christian and Catholic? Thanks in advance.
    Surely I will. The simplest most concise answer is the following: Catholicism is a work-based religion, and Christianity is a faith-based relationship. Hopefully, that should suffice in clarification. But if it doesn't or you don't agree, I would be glad to go more in depth,because I'm not exactly sure where your standpoint on things are. If I remember corretly, from a previous message, you term yourself as agnostic? Thanks for your time.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 23:15
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    a) Yes.
    b) It is actually a very long story. but if you would like some of the details I would gladly share them. I can sum it all up for you with the words of Paul. "For me to live is Christ. To die is gain."
    c) 16 January 1996.

Extra info: I am 21 yrs old.
    Just to clarify on point (b):

I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
    the Creator of heaven and earth,
    and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:

Who was conceived of the Holy Spirit,
    born of the Virgin Mary,
    suffered under Pontius Pilate,
    was crucified, died, and was buried.

He descended into hell.

The third day He arose again from the dead.

He ascended into heaven
    and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty,
    whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy *catholic church,
    the communion of saints,
    the forgiveness of sins,
    the resurrection of the body,
    and life everlasting.

*The word "catholic" refers not to the Roman Catholic Church, but to the universal church of the Lord Jesus Christ.
  12. Lisbon
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 23:27
    Hi dj2becker,

I agree with everything you wrote, with one exception.

I don't believe Jesus descended into Hell.

The KJV translates the word "Hades" as "Hell", however, Hades means and meant a different thing for the inspired writers (the kingdom of the unseen). The word "Gehenna" yes, should be translated as "Hell".

Jesus descended into Hades (composed by Paradise and Torment); in fact, Jesus told the thief in the cross that in that very same day he would see Him in Paradise.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 23:28
    [b]Regarding baptism and the thief on the cross, one cannot say whether he had been previously baptized or not; one thing we know, he knew Jesus and considered Him a just man.
    The scripture plainly states that Christ hung between two theives. By Roman law thay both deserved to be there. Having said that if he had been baptized it must not have had much of an effect on him in regards to stealing. As far as the theif knowing that Jesus was a just man, I am not sure how you can prove this. It seems to me they probalby did not know each other before meeting on the cross. The thief merely reached out to Christ in faith as we all do.

I refuse to judge those who have not been baptized and who have died. It is for God to judge and not me. All I know for sure is that God responds to faith and our sins are taken away via the cross. This is all I know for sure.
  14. Joined
    14 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 23:33
    Originally posted by whodey
    The scripture plainly states that Christ hung between two theives. By Roman law thay both deserved to be there. Having said that if he had been baptized it must not have had much of an effect on him in regards to stealing. As far as the theif knowing that Jesus was a just man, I am not sure how you can prove this. It seems to me they probalby did not know ...[text shortened]... t God responds to faith and our sins are taken away via the cross. This is all I know for sure.
    Hey everyone, not to seem rude or anything but if we could continue this conversation on baptsim and salvation, then by all means, lets continue. But please do it in the new thread I have just opened called "What is salvation?" Because this thread is primarily for identification of Christians. In the other thread, we can discuss and debate. Thanks very much everyone for eing respectful of my wishes. This thread for me is simply to compile a list of fellow believers on this site. God bless.
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 23:381 edit
    Hi dj2becker,

I agree with everything you wrote, with one exception.

I don't believe Jesus descended into Hell.

The KJV translates the word "Hades" as "Hell", however, Hades means and meant a different thing for the inspired writers (the kingdom of the unseen). The word "Gehenna" yes, should be translated as "Hell".

Jesus descended into Hades ( ...[text shortened]... us told the thief in the cross that in that very same day he would see Him in Paradise.
    Hi, xpoferens.

What do you think Ephesians 4:9 refers to when it speaks of the depths of the earth?

Thanks for challenging me on this point, though. I had not given it much thought before.

Edit: It's almost 2 a.m. over here. I guess I will be needing some sleep now. Will respond to your post tomorrow, Lord willing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree