1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Jan '22 17:311 edit
    https://www.npr.org/2020/07/01/883115867/white-supremacist-ideas-have-historical-roots-in-u-s-christianity

White Supremacist Ideas Have Historical Roots In U.S. Christianity

Less than three weeks after the 1961 attack on the Freedom Riders, the savage attack in May 1961 on a busload of Black and white Freedom Riders who had traveled defiantly together to Montgomery in a challenge to segregation, Montgomery's most prominent pastor, Henry Lyon Jr., gave a fiery speech before the local white Citizens' Council, denouncing the civil rights protesters and the cause for which they were beaten — from a "Christian" perspective.

"Ladies and gentlemen, for 15 years I have had the privilege of being pastor of a white Baptist church in this city," Lyon said. "If we stand 100 years from now, it will still be a white church. I am a believer in a separation of the races, and I am none the less a Christian." The crowd applauded.

Lyon saw himself as a devout Bible believer, and he was far from an extremist in the Southern Baptist world. A former president of the Alabama Baptist Convention, his Montgomery church had more than 3,000 members.

Slavery and the Bible

At an earlier point in American history, some Christian theologians went so far as to argue that the enslavement of human beings was justifiable from a biblical point of view. James Henley Thornwell, a Harvard-educated scholar who committed huge sections of the Bible to memory, regularly defended slavery and promoted white supremacy from his pulpit at the First Presbyterian Church in Columbia, S.C., where he was the senior pastor in the years leading up to the Civil War.

"As long as that [African] race, in its comparative degradation, co-exists side by side with the white," Thornwell declared in a famous 1861 sermon, "bondage is its normal condition." Thornwell was a slave owner, and in his public pronouncements he told fellow Christians they need not feel guilty about enslaving other human beings.

"The relation of master and slave stands on the same foot with the other relations of life," Thornwell insisted. "In itself, it is not inconsistent with the will of God. It is not sinful."

Among the New Testament verses Thornwell could cite was the Apostle Paul's letter to the Ephesians where he writes, "Slaves, obey your human masters, with fear and trembling and sincerity of heart."
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Jan '22 18:39
    @vivify said
    https://www.npr.org/2020/07/01/883115867/white-supremacist-ideas-have-historical-roots-in-u-s-christianity

Less than three weeks after the 1961 attack on the Freedom Riders, the savage attack in May 1961 on a busload of Black and white Freedom Riders who had traveled defiantly together to Mo ...[text shortened]... writes, "Slaves, obey your human masters, with fear and trembling and sincerity of heart."
    I have no thoughts on that. It’s not something I’m interested in discussing or even thinking about.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Jan '22 18:49
    @rajk999 said
    I have no thoughts on that. It’s not something I’m interested in discussing or even thinking about.
    You've just perfectly summed up White Christianity.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Jan '22 18:52
    @vivify said
    Thanks. I appreciate your comment
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Jan '22 20:36
    @vivify said

Slavery and the Bible
    Slavery in the Bible wasn’t instigated by white people.
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Jan '22 20:441 edit
    @divegeester said
    Slavery in the Bible wasn’t instigated by white people.
    That's not what the article says or even implies. It makes the point that white Christians used slavery in the Bible to justify it.

Please quit trying to distract from the topic of white Christian racism.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Jan '22 21:18
    @vivify said
    That's not what the article says or even implies. It makes the point that white Christians used slavery in the Bible to justify it.

Where are Scriptures about slavery in the New Testament?

That’s not a rhetorical question. I honestly don’t know.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Jan '22 21:21
    @vivify said

Less than three weeks after the 1961 attack on the Freedom Riders, the savage attack in May 1961 on a busload of Black and white Freedom Riders who had traveled defiantly together to Mo ...[text shortened]... writes, "Slaves, obey your human masters, with fear and trembling and sincerity of heart."
    Did you see this quote from the article?

"You think about the South being Christian, but this wasn't Christianity,"
  9. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 Jan '22 21:26
    @pb1022 said

'Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ.'

Ephesians 6:5
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Jan '22 21:361 edit
    @pb1022 said

There's one in the OP.
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Jan '22 21:391 edit
    @pb1022 said
    Did you see this quote from the article?

What is your point? That "real" Christians aren't racist? Well too many white Christians disagree.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Jan '22 21:44
    @vivify said

I’ve been a Christian for over 30 years and have never met one Christian who even remotely thinks that.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Jan '22 22:31
    @vivify said

People use all kinds of things to justify their hate, from articles to whatever else comes in handy. Pick a reason, call out a color, and justify the hate.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Jan '22 23:08
    @pb1022 said
    This is the well-thumbed [in these circumstances] No True Scotsman informal fallacy.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Jan '22 01:00
    @vivify said
    As Jim Jefferies has said, the same people saying "F--- you, don't take my guns!" now were the same people saying "F--- you, don't take my slaves!" 160 years ago.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree