Christian Syntax Discussion Board

Christian Syntax Discussion Board

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
10 Nov 05

Originally posted by no1marauder
Moron: Btw: How does the TOE explain morality in the first place?

Wise Man of Science: The same way the Theory of Gravity does.
You need to read The Final Theory.

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
10 Nov 05

Originally posted by dj2becker
I serve a living God. I don't need your idle talk.
You said you liked it when I talked dirty to you!?

I'm glad God loves you as everyone else thinks you're a douche.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Nov 05

You need to read The Final Theory.
You need to actually get some understanding of science. You don't look for instructions on how to run your computer in the manual for my new Mercedes. Get it?

a

Meddling with things

Moves
10 Nov 05

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Utter nonsense, although slightly more rational than DJ's view.
Thank you.

If I can dream up another insane conspiracy theory I'll post it. Why don't you have a go. Why should dj have all the fun?

Zellulรคrer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
10 Nov 05

Originally posted by aardvarkhome
If I can dream up another insane conspiracy theory I'll post it. Why don't you have a go. Why should dj have all the fun?
Yours was still more rational than dj's, so he's still ahead in the crazy stakes.

Moves
10 Nov 05

You need to actually get some understanding of science. You don't look for instructions on how to run your computer in the manual for my new Mercedes. Get it?
Read up what "The Final Theory" is all about and then we can talk again tomorrow....

Moves
10 Nov 05

You guys have totally deviated from the topic, so I guess the TOE is to blame for the Columbine Massacre...
๐Ÿ˜€
Adios Amigos!

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Nov 05

Read up what "The Final Theory" is all about and then we can talk again tomorrow....
I did. It's a nut with a BA in Electrical Engineering saying that Newton, Einstein and every other scientist is wrong and HE has come up with a SINGLE, UNIFYING THEORY THAT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING IN THE UNIVERSE! What would you like to talk about: what anti-psychotic meds would be most effective for his condition or why you are sooooooooooooo gullible you believe this BS??

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
10 Nov 05
2 edits

Originally posted by royalchicken
I want my grammar and spelling to be 'Christian'. Can someone explain how to make this happen?
Clever! ๐Ÿ™‚

I'll just say if your grammar and spelling is logical - then it is by default Christian. ๐Ÿ˜‰

But I would say the there is not really a "Christian" logic - but there are logical Christian beliefs. Just like most major world-views there are some formulations or branches that are more rational then others. Some world-views pride themselves in rejecting logical all together - and some Christians would do the same. But I believe that correct Christian beliefs are logical beliefs.

That said - logic is logic. We all use it, believers and unbelievers. But there is an interesting school of apologetics that says that the only justification for the validity and truth of the laws of logic is the reality of the God of the Bible. If there is such a thing as knowledge and logic, then it is because there is a God which makes it possible for us to truly know and reason about things - and only the God of the Bible can do this. So when an unbeliever uses logic (as he must), he is also unwittingly adopting (or borrowing from) the Christian world-view. The unbeliever is like someone denying the reality of air, all the way to his last dying breath.

So come breath some air at the Logic Discussion Board if you think you can handle it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Zellulรคrer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
10 Nov 05

Originally posted by Coletti
Cleaver! ๐Ÿ™‚
So that's what you use to chop your logic.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
10 Nov 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
So that's what you use to chop your logic.
oops!

It has to be a clever cleaver.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
10 Nov 05

Originally posted by Coletti
Clever! ๐Ÿ™‚

I'll just say if your grammar and spelling is logical - then it is by default Christian. ๐Ÿ˜‰

But I would say the there is not really a "Christian" logic - but there are logical Christian beliefs. Just like most major world-views there are some formulations or branches that are more rational then others. Some world-views pride themselve ...[text shortened]... ath.

So come breath some air at the Logic Discussion Board if you think you can handle it. ๐Ÿ™‚
You and the board you moderate seem to be defining 'logic' in a slightly colloquial fashion -- I think the word you're looking for is maybe 'reasoning'. 'Logic' refers to a family of sets of rules of varying orders of complexity which operate on input statements to produce output statements. Given the right input statements, we can prove anything we like in a logical manner. In particular, given the right input, we can prove that any 'Christian' statement is true, and given a different input, we can prove that its 'unChristian' negation is true. These arguments, if done properly, will have equal logical validity.

Reasoning is largely the process of using context, observation and assumption to choose what we feed the logic machine, and our conclusions are bounded above in reliability by the certainty which the machine gives us. How we measure reliability, provided the machine has followed the rules correctly, is a very similar question to how we choose what to put in the machine in the first place.

Thus there may be 'Christian reasoning' in which Christian ideas influence the use of context, observation, assumption etc. to put things in the machine, but the machine itself is totally free of all content and therefore cannot be seinsibly described in terms of adjectives like 'Christian' which assign meaning to things.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
10 Nov 05
2 edits

Originally posted by royalchicken
You and the board you moderate seem to be defining 'logic' in a slightly colloquial fashion -- I think the word you're looking for is maybe 'reasoning'. 'Logic' refers to a family of sets of rules of varying orders of complexity which operate on input statements to produce output statements. Given the right input statements, we can prove anythi ...[text shortened]... be seinsibly described in terms of adjectives like 'Christian' which assign meaning to things.
I think I understand. Personally I define logic as the science of necessary inference. Logic is essentially formal - and independent of the content of the term. The objects of logic are propositions (statements). So I agree that we can "prove" anything depending on the "inputs" or the premises - and if the inferences are correctly made. So for me, reasoning is just the correct application of logic.

Which means we agree that what determines the content of our conclusions depends on the initial premises we hold true. I believe that often the main source of disagreement between people is not how they think, it is the axioms they hold, the presuppositions that they bring the the table.

The question: is there are "Christian" logic? has been discussed on the site - and "Christian" does seem to imbue logic with content. What makes the site Christian is the ideas discussed, and what makes it "logic" is the concern for correct reasoning (application of logic). Which is why non-believers can still reason - logic is independent of content.

So think of Christian Logic as Christian AND Logic. I think you'd make a positive contribution to the Logic Discussion Board.

http://www.christianlogic.com/articles/logic_faq.htm

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
11 Nov 05

I did. It's a nut with a BA in Electrical Engineering saying that Newton, Einstein and every other scientist is wrong and HE has come up with a SINGLE, UNIFYING THEORY THAT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING IN THE UNIVERSE! What would you like to talk about: what anti-psychotic meds would be most effective for his condition or why you are sooooooooooooo gullible you believe this BS??
where is this here " final theory" dat dj speaks of?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
11 Nov 05

Originally posted by frogstomp
where is this here " final theory" dat dj speaks of?
Read it and weep (and I do mean that literally). http://www.thefinaltheory.com/pages/1/index.htm