16 Dec '13 09:23
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Do you put up any of these at Yuletide?
    Holly
    Ivy
    Fir tree
    Mistletoe

Why?
    why do people say leave him alone it's christmas?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Dec '13 09:361 edit
    Holly
    Ivy
    Fir tree
    Mistletoe

Why?
    Pagans masquerading as Christians! My next door neighbours house is like a Santas grotto, i was gleeful when a huge storm wrecked his giant inflatable Santa and rather resentful that it got fixed and now languishes against our communal fence.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Dec '13 10:51
    Holly
    Ivy
    Fir tree
    Mistletoe

Why?
    I've always believed there were two parts to Christmas: the religious celebration and the secular merchandizing season. Even though I do not believe for a millisecond that Christ was born in December, I do see that the Church in times past tried to profit by combining Christmas with the solstice. But I believe it's better that we celebrate the birth of Christ at this time of year rather than not at all. And yes, I realize some sects believe that the birth of Christ needn't be celebrated at all.

Even so, tradition weighs heavily upon human beings, and at Christmas I do decorate my house suitably. I have a holly wreath on my front door, a Christmas tree in my living room, lights around my eaves, and a small nativity scene on my fireplace mantle. My favorite Christmas song is "Little Drummer Boy". I think it wonderfully captures what should be the feeling of the season.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Dec '13 10:57
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Pagans masquerading as Christians! My next door neighbours house is like a Santas grotto, i was gleeful when a huge storm wrecked his giant inflatable Santa and rather resentful that it got fixed and now languishes against our communal fence.
    Way to go, Uncle Scrooge!

Have you ever invited your neighbors to share in your no doubt bounteous Christmas dinner? Or do you somehow feel that "non-Christians" (by your own stingy definition; other readers can substitute "non-JWs" ) don't deserve it?
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Dec '13 11:403 edits
    Holly
    Ivy
    Fir tree
    Mistletoe

Why?
    There is no requirement or even a hint that Jesus Christ wanted anyone to celebrate his birthday. He wanted his followers to remember his death and resurrection and his commandments. . ie to do them.

There is nothing wrong with celebrating or not celebrating. Paul had this to say about the general matter of observing days .. that is no big deal either way, so we should resist the temptation to judge others in this regard. Here is the reference:

One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's. For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living. But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God. Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way. (Romans 14:5-13 KJV)

As for me I do a little of everything and try to keep it simple and avoid extravagance.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Dec '13 14:053 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Way to go, Uncle Scrooge!

Have you ever invited your neighbors to share in your no doubt bounteous Christmas dinner? Or do you somehow feel that "non-Christians" (by your own stingy definition; other readers can substitute "non-JWs" ) don't deserve it?
    umm Jehovahs Witnesses don't celebrate Christmas because of its pagan origins so as to keep ourselves, 'without spot', from the world. Please note this does not make us better, merely different. My wife being from India (peace be upon it) often makes Indian food we send to our neighbours, which they delight in. You really should research your prejudices rather than invent them.

Sooooo you are a pagan masquerading as a Christian, how is that going to work out for you, long term? hmmmm
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Dec '13 14:10
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    There is no requirement or even a hint that Jesus Christ wanted anyone to celebrate his birthday. He wanted his followers to remember his death and resurrection and his commandments. . ie to do them.

There is nothing wrong with celebrating or not celebrating. Paul had this to say about the general matter of observing days .. that is no big deal either wa ...[text shortened]... [/i]

As for me I do a little of everything and try to keep it simple and avoid extravagance.
    Indeed but we are surrounded by pagans masquerading as Christians!
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Dec '13 14:46
    Indeed but we are surrounded by pagans masquerading as Christians!
    Of course, but days, dates, etc are non issues. Correct them where it matters.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Dec '13 15:401 edit
    Holly
    Ivy
    Fir tree
    Mistletoe

Why?
    Personally -

No.
    No.
    No.
    No.

And I don't see why I should be concerned with Yuletide.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Dec '13 17:29
    Originally posted by sonship
    Personally -

No.
    No.
    No.
    No.

And I don't see why I should be concerned with Yuletide.
    why not, you have no problem with the pagan trinity, a few sprinkles of holly and mistletoe about the place would be fitting.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Dec '13 17:411 edit
    why not, you have no problem with the pagan trinity, a few sprinkles of holly and mistletoe about the place would be fitting.
    The Trinity is nothing anyone would ever make up.
    That the truth of the Trinity is concocted is your mistaken concept.

I serously don't think any thinking person wanting to "start a religion" would furnish it with a concept so counter intuitive as the trinity.

I believe the revelation of the Trinity is an evidence that the concept is not man made but divine revelation.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Dec '13 17:431 edit
    Robbie,

What Pagan religious idea would you say is another version of the Three - One God ?
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Dec '13 17:52
    Robbie,

What Pagan religious idea would you say is another version of the Three - One God ?
    Come now Robbie, this should be a 30 second slam dunk for an old anti-trinitarian like you.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Dec '13 20:02
    The Trinity is nothing anyone would ever make up.
    That the truth of the Trinity is concocted is your mistaken concept.

I serously don't think any thinking person wanting to "start a religion" would furnish it with a concept so counter intuitive as the trinity.

I believe the revelation of the Trinity is an evidence that the concept is [b]not
    man made but divine revelation.[/b]
    No one has claimed that it's been fabricated in order to start a religion. The actual claim is that it's of Pagan origin which has been incontrovertibly demonstrated on this very forum. How will you explain the trinity of Egypt or Babaylon or Sumeria. Are they also of divine inspiration?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree