1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 04:46
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    I live in the USA, land of the free, right? So if I break the laws, say rape someone, should I remain free to do as I want? Put away for a few years. Well what of 1st degree murder, life long sentence?
    Good analogy although you may have missed the point with it. If I lived in the USA but did not believe that it was "the land of the free" in the way so many others claimed it was, what punishment would you say I deserved?
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 04:47
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    As I said before, of course Christianity is a religion.

It's just become hugely popular lately to claim "It's not a religion, it's a way of life." Well, that's as may be, but yes, it IS still a religion.

And yes, of course you are a Christian if you follow Jesus Christ, that should be clear to anyone. Too many people want to put all kinds of fancy t ...[text shortened]... like arguing over what kind of ice cream to have. Be happy that we're having ice cream at all.
    I would include followers of Jesus Christ who do not believe he was a deity in my definition of "Christian". I'm guessing you would not.
  3. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 04:53
    Originally posted by FMF
    Good analogy although you may have missed the point with it. If I lived in the USA but did not believe that it was "the land of the free" in the way so many others claimed it was, what punishment would you say I deserved?
    I have no idea. I am glad I am not God too.
  4. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 04:56
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I would include followers of Jesus Christ who do not believe he was a deity in my definition of "Christian". I'm guessing you would not.
    I used to say this to my parents, (old style catholic) really drove them up a tree. 🙂 There are those who are Christians that don't know they are. And there are Christians that don't know they are catholic.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 05:032 edits
    I have no idea. I am glad I am not God too.
    You think perhaps there could/should be a punishment for someone living in the USA who did not believe that it was "the land of the free"?

Has your theology really so incapacitated you as a free moral agent [with free will] that you even have to bail out of a simple analogy [which you raised] such as this? Goodness me.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 06:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    You think perhaps there could/should be a punishment for someone living in the USA who did not believe that it was "the land of the free"?

Has your theology really so incapacitated you as a free moral agent [with free will] that you even have to bail out of a simple analogy [which you raised] such as this? Goodness me.
    Part of the meaning of "the land of the free" is the freedom of religion, meaning one can believe different from others without punishment for those beliefs.

Punishment is meant to prevent those from breaking the established laws and our constitution is supposed to forbid the establishment of laws that prohibit the free practice of religion. However, the free practice aspect is not absolute when the actions conflict with established laws.

Freedom of speech is no longer absolute either and laws have been established to punish certain types of speech.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 06:43
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Part of the meaning of "the land of the free" is the freedom of religion, meaning one can believe different from others without punishment for those beliefs.
    This sounds like something with a firmer moral basis that the ideology you espouse, in which a punishment of eternal excruciating torture is meted out to those with different beliefs.
  8. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 12:21
    Originally posted by FMF

You'll have to forgive me, I was tired at 1.30 am. Yes, it doesn't matter which country you are in, if you live there then you are subject to the laws of the land.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 12:25
    You'll have to forgive me, I was tired at 1.30 am. Yes, it doesn't matter which country you are in, if you live there then you are subject to the laws of the land.
    You still don't get it ~ so what time is it now? Believing that the USA is "the land of the free" is not a law of the land to which anyone is subject.
  10. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 12:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    You still don't get it ~ so what time is it now? Believing that the USA is "the land of the free" is not a law of the land to which anyone is subject.
    tell me then your thoughts, what do you think.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 12:281 edit
    tell me then your thoughts, what do you think.
    Nine pages of this thread, which I started, and I've been posting throughout [and there's related stuff on the Lake Of Fire thread]. Have a read.
  12. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 12:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    Nine pages of this thread, which I started, and I've been posting throughout [and there's related stuff on the Lake Of Fire thread]. Have a read.
    tell me your thoughts on what I don't get then.
  13. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 12:34
    Originally posted by FMF
    other than all the one liner questions to me, which I've been honest in all my answers. Why not ask a pointed question, what do you really want to know from me? Be straight to the point.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 12:36
    other than all the one liner questions to me, which I've been honest in all my answers. Why not ask a pointed question, what do you really want to know from me? Be straight to the point.
    OK, straight to the point.These last three pages ~ what on earth have you been on about?
  15. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 12:46
    Originally posted by FMF
    OK, straight to the point.These last three pages ~ what on earth have you been on about?
    Origionaly it was about free will, then we progressed to your questions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree