1. Standard memberNick Bourbaki
    Son of FMF
    In front of the TV
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 04:29
    I realize that "Christianity is not a religion" is not a conventional Christian claim, nor is it one that is made by most Christians.

It's an interesting claim nevertheless.

I will offer a rebuttal.

Christianity advocates a belief in a supernatural power that controls human destiny.

Christianity has members by virtue of their common subscription to a historical narrative with various human figures and episodes in it.

Christianity has specific beliefs and doctrines that are proclaimed as real and true without the necessity of proof that would satisfy non-members.

Christianity has its own, exclusive, designated 'holy' literature along with ceremonies and incantations etc., and the theology offers something in return for adherence.

Christianity is an organized and well documented effort on the part of groups of humans, and their constituent individuals, to try to gain the approbation of some perceived divine authority.

Christianity is most certainly a religion.

Who wants to make the case in favor of the motion: "Christianity is not a religion"?
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 09:48
    Originally posted by Nick Bourbaki
    I realize that "Christianity is not a religion" is not a conventional Christian claim, nor is it one that is made by most Christians.

I will offer a rebuttal.

Christianity advocates a belief in a supernatural power that controls human destiny.

Christianity has members by virtue of their common subsc ...[text shortened]... ligion.

Who wants to make the case in favor of the motion: "Christianity is not a religion"?
    It is both with the most important part being God has called us into His
    Kingdom to walk with Him and learn of Him. If God is not a part of our lives
    than we have nothing but a belief system not unlike any other. There is a
    very different foundation with Christianity and all other belief systems which
    is that God sent His Son Jesus to die for us and call us out, justify us. While
    all other belief systems have us justifying ourselves before God.
    Kelly
  3. Standard memberNick Bourbaki
    Son of FMF
    In front of the TV
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 10:02
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    It is both with the most important part being God has called us into His Kingdom to walk with Him and learn of Him. If God is not a part of our lives than we have nothing but a belief system not unlike any other. There is a very different foundation with Christianity and all other belief systems which is that God sent His Son Jesus to die for us and call us out, justify us. While all other belief systems have us justifying ourselves before God.
    Kelly
    The fact that Christianity is "different" - or even "very different" - from other religions (all religions are "different" from each other, aren't they?) does not make Christianity "not a religion".
  4. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 12:11

I will offer a rebuttal.

Christianity has members by virtue of their common subsc ...[text shortened]... ligion.

Well in the same concept, what of Islam, or Buddist, and all the other religions?
  5. Standard memberNick Bourbaki
    Son of FMF
    In front of the TV
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 12:25
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    Well in the same concept, what of Islam, or Buddist, and all the other religions?
    They are religions for the same sorts of reasons as Christianity is. Here is a shorter version of my OP:

Christianity is a religion because...
    1. it advocates a belief in a supernatural and divine authority
    2. it has a membership defined by a common narrative and efforts
    3. it has specific beliefs and doctrines not accepted by non-members.
    4. it has designated literature and a theology creating a moral code

You can take theistic religions like Islam and Judaism and replace "Christianity" with them above the list of four characteristics.
  6. Standard memberNick Bourbaki
    Son of FMF
    In front of the TV
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 12:43
    There is a very different foundation with Christianity and all other belief systems which is that God sent His Son Jesus to die for us and call us out, justify us.
    This would fall mostly under number 3 below...

4. it has designated literature and a theology creating a moral code
  7. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 12:50
    They are religions for the same sorts of reasons as Christianity is. Here is a shorter version of my OP:

4. i ...[text shortened]... e Islam and Judaism and replace "Christianity" with them above the list of four characteristics.
    Unlike the others religions, Islam, Buddist etc.

There is a quality about my God that is often overlooked by many Christian churches. That all are God's children, whether they know it or not. I'm not talking just "Christians", i'm talking everyone.

Yes, it is written in our bible, "those who know the law will be judged by the law, and those who do not know the law will be judged by the law written in there hearts."

This is an open door to everyone. Atheist included. And from my own experience, the churches won't save you. It is where your heart is. That is, in loving your fellow neighbors, or even reaching out in compassion to anyone. This is what my God loves.
  8. Standard memberNick Bourbaki
    Son of FMF
    In front of the TV
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 12:52
    Unlike the others religions, Islam, Buddist etc.

There is a quality about my God that is often overlooked by many Christian churches. That all are God's children, whether they know it or not. I'm not talking just "Christians", i'm talking everyone.

Yes, it is written in our bible, "those who know the law will be judged by the law, and those who do no ...[text shortened]... your fellow neighbors, or even reaching out in compassion to anyone. This is what my God loves.
    So are you saying "Christianity is not a religion" or "Christianity is a religion"?
  9. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 13:021 edit
    So are you saying "Christianity is not a religion" or "Christianity is a religion"?
    What is a religion to you? Two or more people believing in the same teachings of a given person. Using the same principles and ideologies, then yes. Christianity is a religion.

To us Jesus said to Peter, "you are rock, and upon this rock i will build my church"
  10. Standard memberNick Bourbaki
    Son of FMF
    In front of the TV
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 13:32
    What is a religion to you?

I think I laid out my answer to this pretty clearly in my OP. No?

Christianity is a religion.

Thanks. I will see what Kelly's vote is if he/she returns to this thread.
  11. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 13:47

I will offer a rebuttal.

But religion is man seeking a god.

Christianity is God seeking man.

Buddhism is a philosophy as well.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 13:472 edits
    The fact that Christianity is "different" - or even "very different" - from other religions (all religions are "different" from each other, aren't they?) does not make Christianity "not a religion".
    You did see where I said it was both?

The most important part of Christianity, is that it is a relationship started
    by God not us.
    Kelly (he)
  13. Standard memberNick Bourbaki
    Son of FMF
    In front of the TV
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 14:48
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    But religion is man seeking a god.

Christianity is God seeking man.

Buddhism is a philosophy as well.
    So I should take that as a "Christianity is not a religion"?
  14. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 14:52
    So I should take that as a "Christianity is not a religion"?
    What's wrong Nick, can't get a straight answer from "so called" Christians. Nothing new there.
  15. Standard memberNick Bourbaki
    Son of FMF
    In front of the TV
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 14:53
    You did see where I said it was both?

The most important part of Christianity, is that it is a relationship started
    by God not us.
    Kelly (he)
    Oh I read it again. OK, so I suppose I'll count that as a "Christianity is a religion" then seeing as some part of you has acknowledged that it is.

The most important part of Christianity, is that it is a relationship started by God not us.

This would be a picture of 1 and 3 I think:

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree