Would it exist?
    Would you exist without oxygen?
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Oct '17 16:46
    Originally posted by @velns
    I’m not sure then what you meant by this in the context of you saying that the bible is not necessary of salvation?

[b]Originally posted by @kellyjay
    .... for the letter kills but the Spirit gives us life.
    [/b]
    The Bible is a compilation of 66 books, written by around 40 diffent people over a span of around 1500 years. It has history, poetry, lamentations, divine inspiration and so on.

Like a body without a soul and spirit is dead, so to just the letters of the book. Getting all doctrines correct and missing the love is worthless.

God is the creator of the universe who the authors of the book encountered or wrote about. If all you do is read the words missing the Spirit of God you will miss the whole point.
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    25 Oct '17 17:19
    ^^ he said, hopefully
  4. Standard memberVelns
    Latvian Trickster
    Krell lab
    Moves
    25 Oct '17 22:58
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Would you exist without oxygen?
    I’m not sure how your analogy is pertinent to the op?
  5. Standard memberVelns
    Latvian Trickster
    Krell lab
    Moves
    25 Oct '17 23:001 edit
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    The Bible is a compilation of 66 books, written by around 40 diffent people over a span of around 1500 years. It has history, poetry, lamentations, divine inspiration and so on.

Like a body without a soul and spirit is dead, so to just the letters of the book. Getting all doctrines correct and missing the love is worthless.

God is the creator of the ...[text shortened]... about. If all you do is read the words missing the Spirit of God you will miss the whole point.
    I do get that, but if as you said earlier, that god saves without the bible, then why is it required? Why doesn’t god save without it all the time?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Oct '17 23:20
    People meet the Lord having never read scripture so yes.
    So would it be right to say you believe your god figure "saves" people even if they are unaware of Jesus as portrayed in scripture, having read it?
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Oct '17 23:31
    I do get that, but if as you said earlier, that god saves without the bible, then why is it required? Why doesn’t god save without it all the time?
    He does, being saved is getting right with God through Jesus Christ. The scriptures teaches us about God, but God has to actually cleanse us from our sin.

The scriptures teaches us about God and sin, in the Old Testament God directed the Jewish people to build a Temple, down to the smallest details. One of the most important parts of this Temple was the Holy place (room), which was separated from the Most Holy place where the high priest could only enter once a year with sacrifice. What separated the two was a curtain, this showed the separation between God and man due to our sins.

Jesus when He died caused that curtain to rip in half from top to bottom, showing us the separation between God and man has been removed.

So now we can go to God in Jesus name, and as great as that is, now instead of once a year we can send in the high priest to the most Holy, Jesus said wherever two or three are gathered in His name He is there with us. Jesus is now our sacrifice, He also our Temple (meeting place), He is all we need.

No book can do that, it can only give us some insight into all God has done, doing, and will do.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Oct '17 23:33
    No, KellyJay who I believe is a Christian. Did you see his post above?
    Yes, I did, and he did not say the Bible was superfluous to salvation.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Oct '17 23:34
    He does, being saved is getting right with God through Jesus Christ.
    How is this possible "having never read scripture"? Where else is the doctrine about Jesus Christ and "salvation" to be found aside from the Bible?
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 00:41
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    No, the Bible should not be defined by what YOU claim the words mean. You never fail to put your sick twist on what the Bible is saying.

Why do you ignore this every single time I've told you this?
    I already said that people like you believe the Bible should not be defined by the words it contains.

Not sure what you were trying to do here, but that's ok, it is always good to see you following me. Just try to keep your need to get naked after reading my posts to yourself.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 01:54
    Originally posted by @eladar
    I already said that people like you believe the Bible should not be defined by the words it contains.

Not sure what you were trying to do here, but that's ok, it is always good to see you following me. Just try to keep your need to get naked after reading my posts to yourself.
    You could always try reading what I post and then react accordingly, instead of whatever it is you're doing here. Try not to let your fantasies, and whatever else you believe, twist what is said into what you desperately want to hear. Same with the Bible and your fantasies regarding it.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 03:46
    Salvation is God dependent not Bible dependent, God can use whatever He wants, but
    the bottom line is He is the one saving. Scripture is used, can be used for more than just
    salvation.

When you say save without the Bible what are you driving at?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 03:48
    Salvation is God dependent not Bible dependent, God can use whatever He wants, but the bottom line is He is the one saving. Scripture is used, can be used for more than just salvation.
    The only way to God is through Jesus, you tell us. The story of Jesus is only in the Bible. There is no 'knowledge' about Jesus that can be obtained elsewhere. So, if someone has not read the Bible, and doesn't know Jesus, how can they meet God if the only way to God is through Jesus?
  14. Standard memberVelns
    Latvian Trickster
    Krell lab
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 04:121 edit
    When you say save without the Bible what are you driving at?
    I’m talking about your first post in this thread where you replied to my OP asking if Christianity would exist without the bible and you said with this:

“People meet the Lord having never read scripture so yes.”

You said “yes” christianity would exist. Suzianne disagrees with you, which is ok. There seems to be mixed views on this so I’m just asking for opinion and discussion.
  15. Standard memberVelns
    Latvian Trickster
    Krell lab
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 04:17
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Yes, I did, and he did not say the Bible was superfluous to salvation.
    No that was indeed my term. But KellyJay did say this:

People meet the Lord having never read scripture so yes.

I’m just extemding the premise that if people can “meet the Lord without having read scripture”, then surely when it comes to salvation (meeting the Lord) the bible has been on occiasions, superfluous.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree