1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 07:35
    Who thinks there were no Christians until 325 ??
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 09:28
    Originally posted by @velns
    I’m talking about your first post in this thread where you replied to my OP asking if Christianity would exist without the bible and you said with this:

[b]“People meet the Lord having never read scripture so yes.”

You said “yes” christianity would exist. Suzianne disagrees with you, which is ok. There seems to be mixed views on this so I’m just asking for opinion and discussion.[/b]
    Yes, the gospel is the good news, the gospel of Jesus Christ as told by Matthew, Mark,
    Luke, and John is just a written account of the good news of Jesus Christ. It can be
    related to others by word of mouth, and the power of God. If someone shares the good
    news it then becomes something between them and God.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 10:04
    No that was indeed my term. But KellyJay did say this:

[b]People meet the Lord having never read scripture so yes.

I’m just extemding the premise that if people can “meet the Lord without having read scripture”, then surely when it comes to salvation (meeting the Lord) the bible has been on occiasions, superfluous.[/b]
    They can meet the Lord without ever having read scripture, but having scripture is like
    learning the rules of the road. You can drive without knowing them, but it is better if you
    have them down pat by knowing them. You can be told about what is in scripture, and you
    can read it for yourself which is better. Having a written account over time with man is
    much better than just word of mouth. One requires keeping things correct with each
    telling, while writing it down is better if it is done correctly once. Neither is important if the
    truth of the story isn't the truth, and it being related properly.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 10:47
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    They can meet the Lord without ever having read scripture, but having scripture is like
    learning the rules of the road. You can drive without knowing them, but it is better if you
    have them down pat by knowing them. You can be told about what is in scripture, and you
    can read it for yourself which is better. Having a written account over time with man i ...[text shortened]... Neither is important if the
    I sense some unacknowledged back peddling here.
  5. Standard memberVelns
    Latvian Trickster
    Krell lab
    Moves
    27 Oct '17 20:55
    can read it for yourself which is better. Having a written account over time with man i ...[text shortened]... Neither is important if the
    But as you said on page 1, the bible is not necessary for salvation and therefore it could be questioned whether it is required for Christianity at all, agreed?
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Oct '17 22:22
    But as you said on page 1, the bible is not necessary for salvation and therefore it could be questioned whether it is required for Christianity at all, agreed?
    You didn’t read everything I said on the matter if that is your take.
  7. Standard memberVelns
    Latvian Trickster
    Krell lab
    Moves
    27 Oct '17 22:59
    I did read it but what you wrote did not override what you said on page one, it 2as more of a qualification as I see it.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '17 00:29
    Your notion that there is a way to "God" that is not via Jesus is something new from you. That hasn't been your stance in the past. Perhaps the tenets of your faith are shifting. Nothing wrong with that. With stuff like this, you can believe whatever you want.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Oct '17 04:374 edits
    I said people are saved by God not the Bible. You are taking my statements and turning
    them into something I did not say. God saving us, is between us and God, the Bible being
    a book isn't part of that. You are taking what I wrote about salvation and suggesting the
    Bible isn't required at all. Never suggested that, being not part of salvation which is what
    makes a Christian isn't the same thing as having no usefulness at all. God could maintain
    Christianity without the Bible because He is God.

Not being necessary for God to act doesn't mean it isn't useful either to fill some needs. I
    think it is the best way for us to pick up knowledge found in scripture, without reading it
    the word of mouth is great, but who wants to find some guy who knows the story each
    time you are ready to hear it when you can open a book and read it for yourself instead.

I drive a little over 2 hours a day going back and forth to work, my car isn't necessary for
    the trip, but I'm sure glad I have it.
  10. Standard memberVelns
    Latvian Trickster
    Krell lab
    Moves
    28 Oct '17 04:511 edit
    I said people are saved by God not the Bible. You are taking my statements and turning
    them into something I did not say. God saving us, is between us and God, the Bible being
    a book isn't part of that. You are taking what I wrote about salvation and suggesting the
    Bible isn't required at all. Never suggested that, being not part of salvation which is w ...[text shortened]... going back and forth to work, my car isn't necessary for
    I’m not meaning to twist your words and I apologise if that is how it seems. However on page one you specifically said that god saves people without them having ever read bible.

Let me clarify with you then; even though the bible itself is not absolutely necessary, a person must hear the words, the gospel contained in it about Jesus in order for them to be saved and Christianity to be propagated?

Or is it possible for a person to be saved having never even heard about Jesus but just by God’s spirit working on them and then being obedient to it...? Or something like that.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '17 04:52
    Bible isn't required at all. Never suggested that, being not part of salvation which is w ...[text shortened]... going back and forth to work, my car isn't necessary for
    You are being dishonest. In answer to the question of whether there can be Christianity without the Bible, you said "yes", and "People meet the Lord having never read scripture". The Bible is the only place where the Jesus story is told. And you insist that Jesus is the only way to God. Grow some stones, KellyJay. You misstated your belief and you've got too much pride to just admit it. Instead you are trying to back peddle and attribute your stumble to others' misunderstanding. Can there be Christianity without the Bible? No of course not. The idea that there could be is nonsense. Just man up and acknowledge it.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '17 04:56

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '17 05:14
    ...who wants to find some guy who knows the story each
    time you are ready to hear it when you can open a book and read it for yourself instead.
    How would the "some guy" you mention be a Christian or know the Jesus story without the Bible?
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Oct '17 09:56
    The fact that all people from around the world have always known
    of the same god is proof of his existence. There is no need of the bible.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Oct '17 10:36
    I’m not meaning to twist your words and I apologise if that is how it seems. However on page one you specifically said that god saves people without them having ever read bible.

Let me clarify with you then; even though the bible itself is not absolutely necessary, a person must hear the words, the gospel contained in it about Jesus in order for them to b ...[text shortened]... t just by God’s spirit working on them and then being obedient to it...? Or something like that.
    Sorry I wrote a book!

I'm not back peddling on that either, being saved is getting right with a Holy God, that is
    between the Holy God and the sinner. That transaction is a result of God moving in the
    sinner's life, the Bible isn't required just God. God saves, heals, leads, guides, creates in
    us clean hearts, causes us to be born again, He loves us. It is God who created the
    universe and everything in it and maintains it by the power of His Word.

How can anyone believe in something they have never heard of? The truth within the
    scriptures speak about God's work to restore us to Himself, because He knew we needed
    all the help we could get.

God's Spirit was sent to teach us about Jesus Christ, the importance of that is very clear,
    Jesus and others in scripture said quite plainly, those that do not believe in Jesus are
    already condemned. This is where we are by default, this is why sharing the good news
    is so important, it is the salvation of God that brought to us that actually does cleans us
    of our sins.

Without God's salvation we are left on our own, standing in our own righteousness. We
    will all give an account before God, our conscience will either excuse actions we have
    done or accuse us. So there are things we don't have to worry about, but the scary thing
    is it only takes one sin to make one a sinner, and no one I know lives a perfect life. There
    are so many things we all regret we have done, some we are truly ashamed of, these too
    will be revealed on judgment day.

Romans 2:14-16 English Standard Version (ESV)
    14 For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they
    are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the
    work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and
    their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them 16 on that day when, according to
    my gospel, God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus.

Romans 10:14
    How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to
    believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without
    someone preaching?

John 3
    18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is
    condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.
    19 And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the
    darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. 20 For everyone who does
    wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be
    exposed. 21 But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly
    seen that his works have been carried out in God.”

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree