1. London
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 08:47
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Why is Apostasy practiced in those three but not in Hindu or Buddhism?
    I am thinking now that Apostasy must be the most vile concept ever invented by ANY religion.
    Actually, Hinduism does have variants of apostasy. Buddhists themselves were considered apostates by traditional Hindu authorities when Buddhism first arrived on the scene.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 11:59
    Originally posted by vistesd
    This is the confusion of being and existence, ground and figure, emptiness and form. All existents exist in/from/out of the same ground-of-being/being-itself, the all-of-all-of-all-of-it, which as such, as the whole, is One. There is no need to postulate a being beyond being—that is the claim of monists such as myself, aside from our differing speculations ...[text shortened]... dhism are found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancasila. (Yep, I had to look it up. 🙂 )
    So, after the 'baptism,' what?
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 14:39
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Actually, Hinduism does have variants of apostasy. Buddhists themselves were considered apostates by traditional Hindu authorities when Buddhism first arrived on the scene.
    Did you see how long that lasted? It sounds like they came to terms fairly soon.
  4. Mississauga, Ontario
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 15:361 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    You'll have to forgive my ignorance of both sources relative to that stance. Book, chapter, verse, if you don't mind?
    Is this typical of sonhouse?
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 15:451 edit
    Originally posted by Tetsujin
    Is this typical of sonhouse?
    Not to be overly hard on just sonhouse, it is typical of most dissenters herein. Whereas some of the Christians are guilty of inarticulateness relative to technical jargon and whatnot, a great deal of the other side of the aisle's offering is in the form of question begging and/or swipe-n-go charges (sans verifable support).

There aren't a whole lot of vistesds to be found.
  6. London
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 15:50
    Did you see how long that lasted? It sounds like they came to terms fairly soon.
    If by 'coming to terms' you mean traditional Hinduism wiping Buddhism off the map (the Indian map, that is).
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 16:04
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    If by 'coming to terms' you mean traditional Hinduism wiping Buddhism off the map (the Indian map, that is).
    Ah, not many Buddhists in India then? Er, at least now. So they went at each other like all the rest?
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 19:22
    Here is a Qu'ran verse that tells about apostasy, it seems there are no verses which demand death:
    Whoso seeks a religion other than Islam, it shall not be accepted from him, and in the life to come he shall be among the losers. How shall Allah guide a people who have disbelieved after having believed and who had borne witness that the Messenger is true and to him clear proofs had come? Allah guides not the wrongdoers. Of such the punishment is that on them shall be the curse of Allah and of angels and of men, all together, the reunder shall they abide. Their punishment shall not be lightened nor shall they be granted respite; except in the case of those who repent thereafter and amend. Surely, Allah is Most Forgiving, Ever Merciful. Those who disbelieve after having believed, and then continue to advance in disbelief, their repentance shall not be accepted. Those are they who have gone utterly astray. From anyone of those who have disbelieved, and die while they are disbelievers, there shall not be accepted even an earth full of gold, though he offer it in ransom. For those there shall be a grievous punishment, and they shall have no helper. (3.86–92)
  9. Mississauga, Ontario
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 19:47
    So your point... is... ?
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 19:54
    Originally posted by Tetsujin
    So your point... is... ?
    Aren't you just quibbling over semantics when you say those countries that practice death for apostates are not following the TRUE Islam?
    There are a lot of those countries, Morocco, Iran, Saudi, Afghanistan, etc. who DO deal out death for apostasy. Especially the ones who convert to christianity, when you accept Jesus as a prophet, are you not saying he worships the same god? If so, why would god decide to kill someone for going from one branch to another of the SAME religion? Jews, Christians and Muslims all recognise Abraham and it seems to me you are all worshipping the same god so how it ever be justified for any of those three religions to kill for converting? It has happened in all three.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 19:561 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 20:01
    Originally posted by JoniG
    I don't think there is such a thing as ''God''.

You are the god itself and that's it.
    I was putting my statement in religious terms. You and I are on the same wavelength.
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 20:33
    Aren't you just quibbling over semantics when you say those countries that practice death for apostates are not following the TRUE Islam?
    There are a lot of those countries, Morocco, Iran, Saudi, Afghanistan, etc. who DO deal out death for apostasy. Especially the ones who convert to christianity, when you accept Jesus as a prophet, are you not saying he w ...[text shortened]... ustified for any of those three religions to kill for converting? It has happened in all three.
    Wait a tic. You were the one who was trying (pun intended) to burden the Big Three with the demand of death for all apostates. Whence cometh thou proof?
    Let's not change horses in the middle of the stream, and shift the blame to communities of application. Either it is written and commanded in those writs, or it is not. Which way are you playing it?
  14. Mississauga, Ontario
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 21:191 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Wait a tic. You were the one who was trying (pun intended) to burden the Big Three with the demand of death for all apostates. Whence cometh thou proof?
    Let's not change horses in the middle of the stream, and shift the blame to communities of application. Either it is written and commanded in those writs, or it is not. Which way are you playing it?
    I'd rec that if I could.
  15. London
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 21:58
    So they went at each other like all the rest?
    Like any two competing ideologies. Fascism and democracy. Or capitalism and communism.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree