1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '20 12:54
    @vivify said
    Instead, Christians lie to themselves and to the world that Trump is "godly".
    Have I missed a stastic that substantiates this assertion to some degree ~ one that isn't a gag on a comedy show? I admit I haven't watched the video in the OP.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    09 Sep '20 14:211 edit
    @fmf said
    Have I missed a stastic that substantiates this assertion to some degree ~ one that isn't a gag on a comedy show? I admit I haven't watched the video in the OP.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/11/25/why-evangelicals-like-rick-perry-believe-that-trump-is-gods-chosen-one/

Comparing Trump to Jesus, and why some evangelicals believe Trump is God’s chosen one

It is no secret that many conservative Christians think highly of President Trump. He has consistently maintained high approval ratings from white evangelicals since he won the majority of white evangelicals and white Catholics in the 2016 election.

Rep. Barry Loudermilk (R-Ga.) made remarks that gave some the impression that the lawmaker thought Trump was worthy of better treatment than Jesus Christ.

Last month in an interview with Fox News, former energy secretary Rick Perry praised Trump as “God’s chosen one” — an idea that is not unpopular among the president’s conservative Christian supporters.

Perry, an evangelical Christian, shared his conviction with Fox News’s Ed Henry that Trump and his authority come from God.

“Mr. President, I know there are people who say that you say you were the chosen one.’ And said, ‘You were'."

“I think evangelicals have found their dream president,” Jerry Falwell Jr., president of Liberty University, told The Washington Post’s Sarah Pulliam Bailey months after Trump’s inauguration. “I’ve never seen a White House have such a close relationship with faith leaders than this one.”

The idea that Trump was heaven-sent has come with harsh criticism of those who do not support his leadership. In a conversation Thursday in which evangelist Franklin Graham suggested that criticism of Trump was coming from “a demonic power.” 

It appears that Trump has embraced the belief himself, tweeting quotes from conservatives comparing him to the “second coming of God” and even proclaiming “I am the chosen one” and looking toward the heavens while defending his administration’s trade war with China.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    09 Sep '20 14:28
    @fmf said
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/30/donald-trump-evangelicals-god-1294578

‘Only God could deliver such a savior to our nation,’ campaign manager Brad Parscale says, echoing recent comments from other top aides.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    09 Sep '20 14:35
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jan/15/evangelical-christian-swing-voters-stay-loyal-donald-trump-wisconsin-2020-election

Where Christian evangelicals worship Trump more than Jesus – key voters stay loyal to president

Pastor Franz Gerber is worried that so many members of his congregation appear to idolise Donald Trump more than they worship Jesus.

Gerber now has some regrets about his vote but what really disturbs him is an unquestioning and even aggressive adulation for Trump within his flock.

“It seems like there are many evangelical Christians that are willing to die on the hill of supporting the Republican president, supporting Donald J Trump.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '20 14:37
    @vivify said
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/11/25/why-evangelicals-like-rick-perry-believe-that-trump-is-gods-chosen-one/

Comparing Trump to Jesus, and why some evangelicals believe Trump is God’s chosen one

It is no secret that many conservative Christians think highly of President Trump. He has consistently maintained high approval ratings from white eva ...[text shortened]... e” and looking toward the heavens while defending his administration’s trade war with China.
    What statistic do you have though? I doubt anyone disputes that "many" conservative Christians think highly of President Trump. I don't doubt it. But you used the word "godly" several times and you have even put the word in quotation marks. Copy pasting a screed that mentions the names of a few prominent figures being ostentatiously sycophantic is one thing, but I am asking you to offer some statistics about how many Christians literally think Trump is "godly".
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '20 14:44
    @vivify said
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/30/donald-trump-evangelicals-god-1294578

‘Only God could deliver such a savior to our nation,’ campaign manager Brad Parscale says, echoing recent comments from other top aides.
    OK. So we have Brad Parscale. That's 1.

What do you extrapolate from that?

Does it mean 20% of Christian Trump supporters think he is literally "godly"? 10%? 40%? 80%?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '20 14:471 edit
    @vivify said
    Where Christian evangelicals worship Trump more than Jesus – key voters stay loyal to president
    How many Christians fall into this subset? 'They worship Trump more than Jesus'. What percentage? A ballpark figure would suffice.
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    09 Sep '20 15:23
    Also see the video in the OP.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Sep '20 15:55
    @fmf said
    How many Christians fall into this subset? 'They worship Trump more than Jesus'. What percentage? A ballpark figure would suffice.
    Trump is not the only one skilled at exaggeration and misinformation, apparently.
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Sep '20 16:042 edits
    @suzianne said
    Which is far overshadowed by the detrimental effect on society caused by the insidious influence of the current administration on society.

I'm not surprised that the priorities shown by you and American conservatives is more concerned about profit of multinational corporations and the inhumanity therein than simple concern for the welfare of what Jesus called "the least o ...[text shortened]... oaning in this forum meaningless. And that goes for all the so-called Christians who support Trump.
    I think I know what your problem is... it is the immigration issue. You seem to think that Jesus's teachings mean that a government should open the borders to allow freer movement into their country. Hence your dislike for Trump because he sent their good-for-nothing backsides back home, or imprisoned some of them. Kamala Harris want to bring them in. I get it. I think thats one wish you have that wont come true ... 😀 And that wall Trump started has pissed you off... your Mexican buddies are in trouble.

Are you proud of Jacob Blake as well ?
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    09 Sep '20 16:58
    @fmf said
    Take your unsolicited personal chatter and put it in a PM.
    Oh, the irony.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Sep '20 18:171 edit
    @rajk999 said
    I think I know what your problem is... it is the immigration issue. You seem to think that Jesus's teachings mean that a government should open the borders to allow freer movement into their country. Hence your dislike for Trump because he sent their good-for-nothing backsides back home, or imprisoned some of them. Kamala Harris want to bring them in. I get it. I think th ...[text shortened]... has pissed you off... your Mexican buddies are in trouble.

Are you proud of Jacob Blake as well ?
    I think we all finally have our answer about you and your claim that you believe that good works are all you need to get eternal life. How can you believe your claim is true if you turn around and show that you simply don't believe in loving your neighbor as you love yourself?

Wasn't the story of the Good Samaritan concerned with the treatment of a visitor? Now we see that you don't really believe in treating visitors to this land with any concern at all. Love your neighbor as yourself? Yeah, right. I believe this is what you have called "mouth worship".

As in Luke 10:29, Who is YOUR neighbor? Where is YOUR altruism?
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Sep '20 18:20
    @vivify said

It is no secret that many conservative Christians think highly of President Trump. He has consistently maintained high approval ratings from white eva ...[text shortened]... e” and looking toward the heavens while defending his administration’s trade war with China.
    Do you see why I have called Trump the "White Jesus"?
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Sep '20 18:34
    @suzianne said
    I think we all finally have our answer about you and your claim that you believe that good works are all you need to get eternal life. How can you believe your claim is true if you turn around and show that you simply don't believe in loving your neighbor as you love yourself?

Wasn't the story of the Good Samaritan concerned with the treatment of a visitor? Now we see t ...[text shortened]... you have called "mouth worship".

As in Luke 10:29, Who is YOUR neighbor? Where is YOUR altruism?
    Wasn't the story of the Good Samaritan concerned with the treatment of a visitor?

NO !!

Your brain is screwed up. Go fix it.
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Sep '20 18:35
    @suzianne said
    Do you see why I have called Trump the "White Jesus"?
    Calling a man Jesus is idolatry... one of the unpardonable sins.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree