This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '20 23:061 edit
    @vivify said
    Also see the video in the OP.
    If you don't have stats, fair enough. I catch the Daily Show from time to time. I don't need to watch a comedy show in order to get an analysis of Trump. I follow the White House saga pretty closely, every single day. Frankly, I don't see why his critics and opponents have to resort to hyperbole and exaggeration. I just don't see why it's necessary. If you don't have any statistics on how many/what proportion of American Christians actually see Trump as being literally "godly", so be it.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '20 23:11
    @fmf said
    I assume you and I can at least agree that one cannot legitimately make a sweeping claim that Christians who support Trump are merely "so-called Christians".
    BUMP for vivify. We can agree on this, right?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '20 23:48
    @bigdoggproblem said
    Oh, the irony.
    If it conforms to your definition of "irony", that's fine, I suppose. I see him as a creepy blowhard who has dragged the obvious chip on his shoulder from thread to thread and stalked me for several years to browbeat me for my posting style in his dreary hypocritical way while so often simply ignoring the content of my posts or sidestepping the key points ~ something I don't do. So I don't really see how it's "irony" if I say no thanks to "unsolicited personal chatter". If I got "unsolicited personal chatter" from a poster like you, I would just respond to it.
  5. S. Korea
    Moves
    10 Sep '20 01:59
    @fmf said
    Banned? For what?
    I've seen you have a lot of posts removed and engage in troll-like behavior in this forum, and the forum has really been cracking down on this sort of thing -- it has been even more apparent in the Debates forum.

While there is less material out there now, I have to say that I have generally liked this decision.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Sep '20 02:07
    @philokalia said
    I've seen you have a lot of posts removed and engage in troll-like behavior in this forum, and the forum has really been cracking down on this sort of thing -- it has been even more apparent in the Debates forum.
    I have removed posts of my own, on occasion. I have had hardly any posts removed. I do not engage in troll-like behaviour. "The forum" has not been "cracking down" on me. I do not transgress the kinds of 'rules' that are being applied in the Debates Forum. You are completely mistaken about the content and nature of my posts.
  7. S. Korea
    Moves
    10 Sep '20 05:33
    @fmf said
    I have removed posts of my own, on occasion. I have had hardly any posts removed. I do not engage in troll-like behaviour. "The forum" has not been "cracking down" on me. I do not transgress the kinds of 'rules' that are being applied in the Debates Forum. You are completely mistaken about the content and nature of my posts.
    That is excellent -- I am really glad to hear that you have been unaffected.

I was just surprised to see the frequency of your participation seemingly decline. At least, from where I am sitting.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Sep '20 06:33
    @philokalia said
    That is excellent -- I am really glad to hear that you have been unaffected.

I was just surprised to see the frequency of your participation seemingly decline. At least, from where I am sitting.
    Do you not have anything on topic to say or anything to say about the on topic things I have said? It feels like you are just stalking me instead.
  9. S. Korea
    Moves
    10 Sep '20 07:07
    @fmf said
    Do you not have anything on topic to say or anything to say about the on topic things I have said? It feels like you are just stalking me instead.
    Yeah, I posted my thing about prominent conservative Christian commentators and how they actually have very nuanced views of Trump -- I was just happy to see you here and so I commented. ^^
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Sep '20 07:19
    @philokalia said
    Yeah, I posted my thing about prominent conservative Christian commentators and how they actually have very nuanced views of Trump -- I was just happy to see you here and so I commented. ^^
    I suggest you take your incongruous and therefore creepy bonhomie and put it in PMs.
  11. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    19 Oct '20 06:401 edit
    Someone’s got to say it: Americans are the kindest, most open-hearted, loving, generous and adventurous people on Earth. But, boy, they are the most gullible and simple-minded as well. When I see the almost religious evangelical fervour of Trump’s rallies I am sickened and saddened by the haunting memory of Hitler’s rousing speeches. When 40% of American still think the Universe is only 10,000 years old because it says so in a book written by scientifically ignorant desert tribesmen how can one take them seriously?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Oct '20 08:02
    @pianoman1 said
    Someone’s got to say it: Americans are the kindest, most open-hearted, loving, generous and adventurous people on Earth.
    Why do feel you've "got to" make a claim like this?
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '20 08:362 edits
    @philokalia said

While there is less material out there now, I have to say that I have generally liked this decision.
    The forum moderation here has taken a notable backward step since the debate forum was (temporarily) closed down a few months ago.

Posters such as yourself for example are now able to alert posts which they personally disapprove of and very often they will get removed. Occasionally a poster will have a little group of their supporter “gang-alert/multiple alert” a post.

The moderation team is very small and they are under instruction to protect the site. Therefore the easiest thing to do is to remove an alerted post is it looks at all suspect.

The problem now however is twofold:

1) those posts which don’t get alerted simply remain making the moderation team look biased.
    2) the apparently indiscriminate approach to post removal in debates has bled over into the other forums including this one.

So your comment to FMF here is moot.

But seeing as you are one of the people who keeps alerting posts directed at you and which you don’t like, then I’m not surprised to log on and see you making it.
  14. S. Korea
    Moves
    19 Oct '20 23:53
    I've had a post removed, and it was one in which I was dangerously close to personal insults, thus it was entirely merited.

Other times, I have said things that were unpopular and down voted, and to many I imagine they were offensively stupid things to say... But because nobody was the target of harassment or bullying and I did not violate any other rules, they stayed up regardless of the zeal of the down votes.

I think that the system honestly works and it serves to keep the forums clean.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Oct '20 00:28
    @philokalia said
    I've had a post removed, and it was one in which I was dangerously close to personal insults, thus it was entirely merited.

Other times, I have said things that were unpopular and down voted, and to many I imagine they were offensively stupid things to say... But because nobody was the target of harassment or bullying and I did not violate any other rules, they stayed ...[text shortened]... f the down votes.

I think that the system honestly works and it serves to keep the forums clean.
    I think that with yourself, the scenario is as I describe in my post above. And which you downvoted ...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree