1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Apr '12 18:48
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I for one recognise the validity of many of the excellent principles in the Bible. I do not however think the Bible is unique in containing these principles. I think the vast majority of these principles are understood and agreed to by us all regardless of what religion we have or what books we have read. That the books of the Bible contains them is hardl ...[text shortened]... with regards to the Quran - and you will do exactly the opposite with regards to the Quran.
    Exactly.

Well put.
  2. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    21 Apr '12 19:53
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Again this is pure fallacy, i am not arguing against the fact that you have pointed out
    things which you see as wrong, I am not arguing against the fact that you have pointed
    out things you see as bad, I am stating that you have ignored the vast majority of the
    Hebrew text in doing so and that your position is a position of bias as a result, dear oh
    dear, will you actually address the point that I am making.
    Since when was it the job of the prosecutor to give a character reference for the defendant. You and your fellow theist are the defense team, it is for you to highlight the positive aspects of your particular religious text; and if you can, justify those tracts that most secularists/ atheists have an issue with.

Instead you question our motives based on the fact we have not published an abridged version of the bible with only the nice bits in it.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Apr '12 19:591 edit
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Since when was it the job of the prosecutor to give a character reference for the defendant. You and your fellow theist are the defense team, it is for you to highlight the positive aspects of your particular religious text; and if you can, justify those tracts that most secularists/ atheists have an issue with.

Instead you question our motives based on the fact we have not published an abridged version of the bible with only the nice bits in it.
    what are the consequences in the royal game of simply concentrating on our own plans
    and ignoring those of our opponent? That is correct, our strategy shall be overturned,
    for it is understood that in chess we must remain objective all the time. My contention
    is, that the anti Biblicists have failed to remain objective as is evidenced by any lack of
    credible evidence to the contrary, not that they have not highlighted certain aspects
    which they deem to be objectionable.
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Apr '12 20:07
    and yet again, people justify abortion, war, promiscuity, self indulgence and hedonism,
    all things the Bible is quite clear are morally wrong. Again this is not really the issue,
    clearly the anti religionists have utilized those parts of the Hebrew text to legitimize
    their stance against the Bible as a whole, or God as a whole and in the proce ...[text shortened]... t principles therein. All i seek is
    to establish why that bias has arisen and to what extent.
    if you had a friend that followed the bible and behaved like the god of the old testament and was 95% amazing, had lots of good things to say and on day to day basis spread wisdom to the people in his life, but 5% of the time he was condoning and encouraging the slaughter of entire races of people and promoting slavery, homophobia and sexism.

do you think you could ignore the 5% and still be mates?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Apr '12 20:08
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    if you had a friend that followed the bible and behaved like the god of the old testament and was 95% amazing, had lots of good things to say and on day to day basis spread wisdom to the people in his life, but 5% of the time he was condoning and encouraging the slaughter of entire races of people and promoting slavery, homophobia and sexism.

if there was a spot in the middle of a white piece of paper, what would you see , the
    spot or the space surrounding it?
  6. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    21 Apr '12 20:18
    what are the consequences in the royal game of simply concentrating on our own plans
    and ignoring those of our opponent? That is correct, our strategy shall be overturned,
    for it is understood that in chess we must remain objective all the time. My contention
    is, that the anti Biblicists have failed to remain objective as is evidenced by any ...[text shortened]... trary, not that they have not highlighted certain aspects
    which they deem to be objectionable.
    What use is strategy to the enslaved mind?
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Apr '12 20:21
    if there was a spot in the middle of a white piece of paper, what would you see , the
    spot or the space surrounding it?
    if i held it at arms length so i could see the whole picture i would focus on the spot.

unless i was so close to paper that my eyes and brain couldnt register the fact there was a spot, so therefore ignore it.

back'atcha robbie c.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Apr '12 20:41
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    What use is strategy to the enslaved mind?
    an enslaved mind, what is this? spirituality is not the same as philosophy.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Apr '12 20:42
    if i held it at arms length so i could see the whole picture i would focus on the spot.

unless i was so close to paper that my eyes and brain couldnt register the fact there was a spot, so therefore ignore it.

back'atcha robbie c.
    yes indeed its a matter of perspective 🙂
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 00:151 edit
    yes indeed its a matter of perspective 🙂
    More likely a matter of blinkeredness.

I noticed you didn't answer stellspalfie's question, would that be a yes or no to that one?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 06:191 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    More likely a matter of blinkeredness.

I noticed you didn't answer stellspalfie's question, would that be a yes or no to that one?
    its not relevant to me, i do not hold any of the values that stellspalfie does, therefore
    its not possible for me to think of God as bad in any sense of the word.
  12. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 09:59
    its not relevant to me, i do not hold any of the values that stellspalfie does, therefore
    its not possible for me to think of God as bad in any sense of the word.
    Try again -

Could you be friends with such a person Rob?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 14:31
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Try again -

if you had a friend that followed the bible and behaved like the god of the old testament and was 95% amazing, had lots of good things to say and on day to day basis spread wisdom to the people in his life, but 5% of the time he was condoning and encouraging the slaughter of entire races of people and promoting slavery, homophobia a ...[text shortened]... could ignore the 5% and still be mates?

Could you be friends with such a person Rob?
    as i have told you its a fallacy, I dont have any friends that are like that, I dont believe
    the God of the Bible is like that, I dont believe he promoted slavery, engaged in
    genocide, homophobia or is sexist. God is not a human, he is a spirit. I will not answer
    a statement made on the basis of a fallacy, to do so would be to legitimize that fallacy.
  14. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 14:42
    as i have told you its a fallacy, I dont have any friends that are like that, I dont believe
    the God of the Bible is like that, I dont believe he promoted slavery, engaged in
    genocide, homophobia or is sexist. God is not a human, he is a spirit. I will not answer
    a statement made on the basis of a fallacy, to do so would be to legitimize that fallacy.
    were you closing your eyes and clicking your ruby slippers together while you wrote that.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 14:58
    were you closing your eyes and clicking your ruby slippers together while you wrote that.
    haha, come Toto!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree