1. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 10:442 edits
    For any of you Christians (say) out there, would you accept the validity of Islam based on nothing more than the verses thrown at you from the Qur'an...would you need something more tangible?

Same question with different parameters for people aligned with a different religion.

My reason for asking this being that it is seen as closed-mindedness on my part that I will not re-evaluate my skeptical and atheistic worldview based on the (potentially erroneous) translated, and to me childish writings contained within a book I am quite sure is false.
  2. Maryland
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 12:48
    Originally posted by Agerg
    For any of you Christians (say) out there, would you accept the validity of Islam based on nothing more than the verses thrown at you from the Qur'an...would you need something more tangible?

Same question with different parameters for people aligned with a different religion.

My reason for asking this being that it is seen as closed-mindedness on my par ...[text shortened]... eous) translated, and to me childish writings contained within a book I am quite sure is false.
    I second your challenge!
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 13:081 edit
    My reason for asking this being that it is seen as closed-mindedness on my part that I will not re-evaluate my skeptical and atheistic worldview based on the (potentially erroneous) translated, and to me childish writings contained within a book I am quite sure is false.
    I have no problem reading another persons 'scriptures' if I am given reasonably good reason to do so, I tend to draw the line when I am told that I must self delude myself before I will understand them. I am frequently told by Christians that I must pretend that God exists and pray to him before the Bible becomes meaningful.
  4. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 13:38
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I have no problem reading another persons 'scriptures' if I am given reasonably good reason to do so, I tend to draw the line when I am told that I must self delude myself before I will understand them. I am frequently told by Christians that I must pretend that God exists and pray to him before the Bible becomes meaningful.
    I agree, but Christians will just continue to claim that you need FAITH for it to work.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 14:17
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If you were really told that those that said it were way off base, since
    that would be you lying to yourself. What really needs to happen is
    you approach God with your eyes wide open and in truth, if you go
    you go saying I really don't believe in you if that is the truth. God
    can handle the truth, it is lies He shuns.
    Kelly
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 14:301 edit

My reason for asking this being that it is seen as closed-mindedness on my par ...[text shortened]... eous) translated, and to me childish writings contained within a book I am quite sure is false.
    i think that you need something much more tangible, for example, there would need to be evidence that the application of the wisdom (in this case the text) contributed to the betterment of the person (made them more loving, tolerant empathetic, ready to forgive etc etc) otherwise what you have is simply a semblance, a form of Godly devotion which has no power,
  7. England
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 14:53

as a christian, i belive in other books than the 66 layed down by some pope about year 100, so when i read the word of god my heart jumps for joy. if in the qur,an you find a truth then no matter what faith you but it must not contradict but enlighten
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 15:273 edits

When you say "closedmindedness", what you are really asking is to open one up to a change in beliefs. Setting the Bible aside for a second, we all have preconcieved beliefs whether we admit to it or not. We then use these beliefs to try and make sense of the world around us. That is why our beliefs are so vital. The belief system attempts to bring meaning to the random data that we take in. The data in and of itself is meaningless to us without a belief system in place so as to give it meaining in our lives. For example, when assessing phenonemon around the world and you believe in God, you will fit God into the equation as to what is going on, however, if you don't believe then you will leave him out of the equation and never include him etc.

So what causes one to change ones beliefs system? I think that is the real queston. Is it an overwhelming body of evidence? Is it a truth that resonates deep within us? Is it engrained doctrine that remains entrenched etc?
  9. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 17:46

Your question bears consideration, Agerg...

I am not specifically Christian, Mormon (my religion of origin), Islamic (which some assume I practice exclusively because of my Arabic spiritual name), agnostic or athiest (which arguments I am open to consider and understand) but I AM human and in the practice of being human, I am intrigued by the workings of humanity on a global, community and individual basis.

I'm absolutely fascinated with understanding why others believe what they do and read spiritual texts from as many paths of belief that I have time for. With all the possibilities set before me, I have a difficult time simply choosing and following one exclusively. After 47 years, I'm not even seeking anymore. Loving the the view, though 🙂
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 17:59

Is it closed minded to stop looking for something you have already
    found? Being at peace in God isn't something I'd trade away for
    something less than.
    Kelly
  11. Maryland
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 18:48
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Is it closed minded to stop looking for something you have already
    found? Being at peace in God isn't something I'd trade away for
    something less than.
    Kelly
    What if you are wrong?
  12. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 18:53

One can read Sophist and Stoic philosophies and gain great insight without losing ones own beliefs, I see no difference when it comes to some other theological text. if there is insight to be gained then its a good thing, if you are no better off for having read it, still no harm done.
  13. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 18:54
    Originally posted by 667joe
    What if you are wrong?
    if he's wrong, no real harm done.

but what if he's right?
  14. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 19:30
    Originally posted by duecer
    if he's wrong, no real harm done.

but what if he's right?
    Here's to open-mindedness!
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 20:04

..."I am quite sure is false."

Then why bother creating this thread?

If you think it is a hoax that Jesus died and rose from the dead, then you are truly closed minded.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree