1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 20:15
    Originally posted by Agerg

My reason for asking this being that it is seen as closed-mindedness on my part that I will not re-evaluate my skeptical and atheistic worldview based on the (potentially erroneous) translated, and to me childish writings contained within a book I am quite sure is false.
    This petulant post isn't doing much to change the perception of your closed-mindedness.

This wouldn't be about the charges of dullness levelled at you because of your dogmatic insistence that eternity would necessarily be dull? As it happens, that stance does come across as unimaginative; your attitude toward religion has nothing to do with this perception.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 20:30
    Originally posted by hakima
    Here's to open-mindedness!
    ask him about the trinity 😛
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 20:35
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    What do you think it means to be close-minded?
  4. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 20:37
    I am open to perspectives about the nature of God that some call "the trinity" and other perspectives that I have not thought to ask after...

...as it is said, "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 20:391 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    What do you think it means to be close-minded?
    unwilling to perceive another's perspective. what do you think it means?
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 20:41
    unable to perceive another's perspective. what do you think it means?
    A form of arrogance.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 20:46
    A form of arrogance.
    yes undoubtedly, perhaps linked to the inability to contemplate the prospect that we are prone to aberration, an egocentricity.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 20:497 edits
    A form of arrogance.
    I see this in the dispute about creation/evolution. You have a group of scientists who know nothing about theology attacking the Biblical account of Genesis and Creationists who know nothing about science and evolution attacking it. What you are left with are two groups of people that have no respect for the other discipline. In addition, they become arrogant in terms of their own expertise in their own field of study when the reality is they simply don't have all the answers, as painful to their pride as that may be. How could they know all there is to know?

The fall out results in scientist who write books attacking theology and the religious opening museums about our origins.

Its madness I tell ya!!
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 21:072 edits
    This petulant post isn't doing much to change the perception of your closed-mindedness.

This wouldn't be about the charges of dullness levelled at you because of your dogmatic insistence that eternity would necessarily be dull? As it happens, that stance does come across as unimaginative; your attitude toward religion has nothing to do with this perception.
    Bosse de Nage, believe it or believe it not it is not without thought on such matters that I reach my conclusions. When I hear some crazy religious proposition I do actually give them some thought, I like to think about what would have to be true (or not true) and how many special scenarios would have to be contrived in order to make them work! more than enough thought to conclude that they are probably bogus

I'd argue it is you who lacks imagination; because instead of seeking out the philosophical consequences of your own belief set, you blindly stumble onwards through life with your antiquated 'book of Truth' and some fluffy notion that the god your peers compelled you to follow will make it all absolutely dazzling in the end!!!

🙂
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 21:10
    Originally posted by 667joe
    What if you are wrong?
    Than I'm wrong.
    Kelly
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 21:12
    Originally posted by hakima
    Here's to open-mindedness!
    If all open-mindedness is to you is being able to say you will never
    settle upon any answer, than you will always be a no nothing type
    of person.
    Kelly
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 21:19
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I'd argue it is you who lacks imagination; because instead of seeking out the philosophical consequences of your own belief set, you blindly stumble onwards through life with your antiquated 'book of Truth' and some fluffy notion that the god your peers compelled you to follow will make it all absolutely dazzling in the end!!!

🙂
    What? You must have mistaken me for someone else; I have no religion, don't rely on a book of truth, etc. So I'm afraid your riposte has missed the mark by a country mile.

Anything else?
  13. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 21:22
    What? You must have mistaken me for someone else; I have no religion, don't rely on a book of truth, etc. So I'm afraid your riposte has missed the mark by a country mile.

Anything else?
    I remember a conversation I had with you many months (maybe years) ago...I pigeon-holed you back then as a fundie and mud sticks

sorry 🙂
  14. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 21:24
    In a very strange and foreign perspective, one who argues or who creates conflict in blanket declarations of belief, might also be openminded....the willingness to debate is still an openness. It is the one who disappears who might be considered closed minded, and yet, in the disappearance leaves a void, a hole, and openness that must be filled.

I wonder if closed mindedness is even possible.

Here's to ALL open mindedness, in it's many ways and forms.
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 21:25

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree