1. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 18:54
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    my wife has always had a dream to get married, honeymoon in rome and wish for a red headed baby girl by flipping a coin in the trevi fountain. we did all of those things and a year after honeymoon she had a little red headed girl.

nice story...but my wifes a bloody atheist so it does my skeptical, scientific brain in when she tells it like it was fa ...[text shortened]... house moving tale if you should wish to share it, my skeptical tongue is well and truly bitten.
    why settle for simply biting it, why not go the full hog and lop it off?
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 19:08
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    why settle for simply biting it, why not go the full hog and lop it off?
    my wife would kill me, but at least i could post it to yours.......(oooooh, even i thought that was below the belt).
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 19:24
    my wife would kill me, but at least i could post it to yours.......(oooooh, even i thought that was below the belt).
    its only a matter of time before you start tellin 'yo mama', jokes.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 19:261 edit
    The JWs must have their radio tuned to the Watchtower station, that is, if they have a radio.

The Instructor
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 19:28
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    its only a matter of time before you start tellin 'yo mama', jokes.
    sorry, i know. lowering the tone and all that. my apologies to you and your wife....but you need to share the blame for teeing them up.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 19:29
    sorry, i know. lowering the tone and all that. my apologies to you and your wife....but you need to share the blame for teeing them up.
    Actually, we used to have some excellent "Bible yomama" threads. I miss those!
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 19:401 edit
    my wife has always had a dream to get married, honeymoon in rome and wish for a red headed baby girl by flipping a coin in the trevi fountain. we did all of those things and a year after honeymoon she had a little red headed girl.

nice story...but my wifes a bloody atheist so it does my skeptical, scientific brain in when she tells it like it was fa ...[text shortened]... house moving tale if you should wish to share it, my skeptical tongue is well and truly bitten.
    I think I have shared enough for now. I do not like to throw my experiences out cheap.

You have already discarded one precious experience by the wayside. I see no reason why you will be more receptive to another experience.

It is ok. I'd rather say that God firstly speaks to us with the words of the Bible. He will not say to me what is contrary to what He has already told me in the word of God the Bible.

His speaking is always with love. And I would have to say to some of you skeptics and atheists that the God you don't believe in is not the God that I believe in.

Glad your wife is happy. And you too.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 19:47
    sigh, its so true 😞
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 19:49
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I vaguely remember doctor scribbles.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 20:00
    Originally posted by sonship
    I think I have shared enough for now. I do not like to throw my experiences out cheap.

You have already discarded one precious experience by the wayside. I see no reason why you will be more receptive to another experience.

It is ok. I'd rather say that God firstly speaks to us with the words of the Bible. He will not say to me what is contrary to ...[text shortened]... u don't believe in is not the God that I believe in.

Casting pearls before swine will not work, since the swine only see the pearls as something to trample on.

The Instructor
  11. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 21:10
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Casting pearls before swine will not work, since the swine only see the pearls as something to trample on.

The Instructor
    The verse which inspired your post here is only one of a few that I actually like from the Bible; and well...the Bible delivery of that line is far superior to yours.
  12. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 21:38

It is ok. I'd rather say that God firstly speaks to us with the words of the Bible. He will not say to me what is contrary to ...[text shortened]... u don't believe in is not the God that I believe in.

i dont think you were cheapening your story. although the religious part doesnt mean much to me, your love for your wife and the success of your marriage is something i admire. i dont see that as cheap.
  13. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 22:065 edits

I did not read your experiential sharing, sonship—deliberately, in order to remain neutral and impersonal (I started to, but stopped myself). I do understand your point about sharing such things though—and, in fact, have been subject to a “bait-and-switch” game more often by fundamentalist Christians on here than anyone, when it comes to apparently sincere questions of one’s personal experiences (though, not that I recall, by anyone currently posting on here).

Here, however, is what I see as the general problem with taking such experiences (mine, yours, anyone’s) in an evidentiary way:

If either (1) the particular content (including the putative source), or (2) the forcefulness, of personal experiences, could be considered self-validating, then nobody would ever be fooled by a mirage.

We can be fooled by beauty; by beautiful, moving and provocative stories (including, but not limited to, myth); by unsought thoughts that arise in our minds; by powerful psychological experiences—etc., etc., across the board. There apparently is evidence that people are generally more moved to believe this or that proposition by powerful metaphors than by reason.*

That is the force of reason: both you and I must (in my view) accept it in the face of self-interpreted personal experience.

None of this is intended to diminish aesthetics (the harmonious and beautiful) in our lives. Nor your personal story. But the facticity, in terms of content, of the stories that we tell ourselves (and that have been told to us)—as opposed to the aesthetics, or the moral, or the philosophy—has to be decided by reason (logic) and empiricism (here: repeatable, independent and disinterested observation).

My personal experiences are not, per se, evidence of anything outside themselves—they are completely self-referential, and cannot reasonably be considered as self-validating—unless and until subjected to logic and empiricism. Their aesthetic impact, however: that is mine to appreciate and enjoy.

* I have no citation; this was stated to me recently by a Christian scholar that I happen to know personally. I wouldn’t press the point without further research, and would not expect anyone to accept it willy-nilly.

EDIT: Though I responded to sonship here, I really mean this as a general post.
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 23:28
    So another question is do you speak directly to God or to God thru Jesus?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Jun '13 01:43
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    c'mon, let's hear one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree