1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 23:21
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Oh no. Don't put words in my mouth. I never said it was anything common as you just said. Don't asume that stuff as so many others here do. Your above that.
    In fact it is God's active force and how could something like God's power be common? It is his will and power that could wipe this planet out of existance in a heartbeat... So no it's not common at ...[text shortened]... rit. Pretty uncommon if I'd say!!
    So if you think I mean something ask me, don't asume.
    So you believe the Holy Spirit is just a power, how be it a powerful one, but
    still just a power, something to be used, not someone?
    Kelly
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 23:391 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    So you believe the Holy Spirit is just a power, how be it a powerful one, but
    still just a power, something to be used, not someone?
    Kelly
    Sounds like you got it right except that it is really more of a force for the correct definition of what this really is.

Ruach and pneuma, therefore, when used with reference to God’s holy spirit, refer to God’s invisible active force by which he accomplishes his divine purpose and will. It is “holy” because it is from Him, not of an earthly source, and is free from all corruption as “the spirit of holiness.” (Ro 1:4)
    It is not Jehovah’s “power,” for this English word more correctly translates other terms in the original languages (Heb., koach; Gr., dyna·mis).
    Ruach and pneu;ma are used in close association or even in parallel with these terms signifying “power,” which shows that there is an inherent connection between them and yet a definite distinction. (Mic 3:8; Zec 4:6; Lu 1:17, 35; Ac 10:38)
    “Power” is basically the ability or capacity to act or do things and it can be latent, dormant, or inactively resident in someone or something.
    “Force,” on the other hand, more specifically describes energy projected and exerted on persons or things, and may be defined as “an influence that produces or tends to produce motion, or change of motion.”
    “Power” might be likened to the energy stored in a battery, while “force” could be compared to the electric current flowing from such battery.
    “Force,” then, more accurately represents the sense of the Hebrew and Greek terms as relating to God’s spirit, and this is borne out by a consideration of the Scriptures.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 23:53
    Sounds like you got it right except that it is really more of a force for the correct definition of what this really is.

Ruach and pneuma, therefore, when used with reference to God’s holy spirit, refer to God’s invisible active force by which he accomplishes his divine purpose and will. It is “holy” because it is from Him, not of an earthly source, ...[text shortened]... k terms as relating to God’s spirit, and this is borne out by a consideration of the Scriptures.
    So if it is nothing but a force I can see it being the power to act if it is kept
    under control; however, under no conditions could the Holy Spirit be a
    teacher and guide. Can a force be able to grieve, nor do anything that
    even animals can do, let a lone a person. I can give you more than a few
    examples of these things and others things.
    Kelly
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    02 Jul '13 00:20
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    So if it is nothing but a force I can see it being the power to act if it is kept
    under control; however, under no conditions could the Holy Spirit be a
    teacher and guide. Can a force be able to grieve, nor do anything that
    even animals can do, let a lone a person. I can give you more than a few
    examples of these things and others things.
    Kelly
    I know of every example you have, so no need
    But there is an explination if you really want to hear?

Personification does not prove personality.

It is true that Jesus spoke of the holy spirit as a “helper” and spoke of such helper as ‘teaching,’ ‘bearing witness,’ ‘giving evidence,’ ‘guiding,’ ‘speaking,’ ‘hearing,’ and ‘receiving.’ In so doing, the original Greek shows Jesus at times applying the personal pronoun “he” to that “helper” (paraclete). (Compare Joh 14:16, 17, 26; 15:26; 16:7-15.)

However, it is not unusual in the Scriptures for something that is not actually a person to be personalized or personified.
    Wisdom is personified in the book of Proverbs (1:20-33; 8:1-36)
    Wisdom is also personified at Matthew 11:19 and Luke 7:35, where it is depicted as having both “works” and “children.”
    The apostle Paul personalized sin and death and also undeserved kindness as “kings.” (Ro 5:14, 17, 21; 6:12)
    He speaks of sin as “receiving an inducement,” ‘working out covetousness,’ ‘seducing,’ and ‘killing.’ (Ro 7:8-11) Yet it is obvious that Paul did not mean that sin was actually a person.

So, likewise with John’s account of Jesus’ words regarding the holy spirit, his remarks must be taken in context.
    Jesus personalized the holy spirit when speaking of that spirit as a “helper” (which in Greek is the masculine substantive pa·ra′kle·tos).
    Properly, therefore, John presents Jesus’ words as referring to that “helper” aspect of the spirit with masculine personal pronouns.
    On the other hand, in the same context, when the Greek pneu′ma is used, John employs a neuter pronoun to refer to the holy spirit, pneu′ma itself being neuter.
    Hence, we have in John’s use of the masculine personal pronoun in association with pa·ra′kle·tos an example of conformity to grammatical rules, not an expression of doctrine.—Joh 14:16, 17; 16:7, 8.

So if wisdom, death, sin can be given a personality in in the Bible, which in reality they don't. Why cannot god's spirit have this said of it?

I ask that you please look up the scriptures quoted.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jul '13 04:201 edit

It is true that Jesus spoke of the holy spirit as a “helper” and spoke of such helper as ‘teaching,’ ‘bearing witness,’ ‘giving evidence,’ ‘guiding,’ ‘speaking,’ ‘hearing,’ and ‘receiving.’ In so do t god's spirit have this said of it?

I believe you have your eyes closed and refuse to see to see truth as it is
    before you.

"So if wisdom, death, sin can be given a personality in in the Bible, which in reality they don't. Why cannot god's spirit have this said of it."

Each example should be looked at by itself, you find something about them
    and therefore the Holy Spirit must not have a personality?

Kelly
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Jul '13 06:30

It is true that Jesus spoke of the holy spirit as a “helper” and spoke of such helper as ‘teaching,’ ‘bearing witness,’ ‘giving evidence,’ ‘guiding,’ ‘speaking,’ ‘hearing,’ and ‘receiving.’ In so do ...[text shortened]... t god's spirit have this said of it?

Then why don't you JWs claim that Satan the devil is being personified and is not really a person, but is an it?

The Instructor
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    03 Jul '13 10:361 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    Through His Word.
    How very odd it is to me that I should post a sound answer to the question in the opening post and yet not get even one reply!

The question is how do we talk to God and He to us?

I say through His Word and by prayer, which is to say, on God's terms.

What is wrong with all of you?
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    03 Jul '13 21:28
    Originally posted by josephw
    How very odd it is to me that I should post a sound answer to the question in the opening post and yet not get even one reply!

The question is how do we talk to God and He to us?

I say through His Word and by prayer, which is to say, on God's terms.

What is wrong with all of you?
    Yes it is a sound answer. But many of us post things that never get a responce at all. So join the club...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree