1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 May '05 16:392 edits
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    The answer, from the superior's replies, is yes.
    If this claim is true, the the following claim must be true, for the monk's questions are identical in form.

"The answer, from the superior's replies, is no."

If you deduce your claim from the second response, which allows simultaneous prayer and smoking, I, by formal deduction, find that the monk's first response is a lie.

2. London
    Moves
    17 May '05 16:411 edit
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    If this claim is true, the the following claim must be true, for the monk's questions are identical in form.

"The answer, from the superior's replies, is no."

Read the second half of my post.

An analogy from logic: in A => B, if A is true then it follows that B is true. If A is false, however, it does not imply that B is false.
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 May '05 16:454 edits
    Read the second half of my post.

An analogy from logic: in A => B, if A is true then it follows that B is true. If A is false, however, it does not imply that B is false.
    I'm quite familiar with that rule and I find that it has no application here, nor does it have any analogous counterpart in the situation at hand.

The two questions the monk asks are equivalent in form. Do you deny this?

Do you deny that "A and B" and "B and A" are equivalent propositions? May I remind you of this logical tautology: (A and B) implies (B and A). That is the situation at hand.

The monk asserts (A and B) by his second answer, yet denies (B and A) by his first answer. Thus, he has lied.
  4. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    17 May '05 16:51
    Originally posted by Coletti
    How is this related to the fundamentalist?

Any literal fundamentalist ..... as you know there are also secular literal fundamentalists ...... check out this thread .... interesting food for psychologists, logicians and other stand-up comedians ..... 😀 😛
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:03
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

There is an old story told of a young monk who goes to his superior with two questions:

Can I smoke a cigarette while I am praying ?

To which the answer is NO. But he then asks the further question:

Can I pray while I am smoking a cigarette ?

To which the answer has to be YES.

Without encouraging you to smoke, I hope you see the difference.
    i agree with Scribs' posts above...i don't think this 'conundrum' poses any threat to the fundamentalist's stance. it could, conceivably, but not in the context presented.
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:10
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    i don't think this 'conundrum' poses any threat to the fundamentalist's stance.
    That's right. They accept contradictions as easy as an eagle soars in the sky. Why should one more bother them?
  7. London
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:15
    I'm quite familiar with that rule and I find that it has no application here, nor does it have any analogous counterpart in the situation at hand.

Do you deny that "A and B" and "B and A" are equivalent propositions? May I remind you of this logical tautology: ...[text shortened]... ts (A and B) by his second answer, yet denies (B and A) by his first answer. Thus, he has lied.
    The monk does not ask "A and B" - he asks "A while B". The connotations are different.
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:17
    The monk does not ask "A and B" - he asks "A [b]while B". The connotations are different.[/b]
    Can I walk while hitting a golf ball? No.

Can I hit a golf ball while walking? No.

Please explain how the first post can be supported.

ES
  9. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:18
    The monk does not ask "A and B" - he asks "A [b]while B". The connotations are different.[/b]
    How do you logically represent "A while B" if not by the AND operator?

What is the truth table for WHILE? I've never seen one, but I'm sure it would be identical to that of AND.
  10. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:22

Do you deny that "A and B" and "B and A" are equivalent propositions? May I remind you of this logical tautology: ...[text shortened]... ts (A and B) by his second answer, yet denies (B and A) by his first answer. Thus, he has lied.
    Ivanhoe did not present statements in logical form, so you can not say they are formally identical - you presume they are. The smoking and praying are not describing the same things at the same time - this is clear by the answers given to the questions. So it is not (A and B) vs (B and A), it is (A and B) vs (D and C).
  11. London
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:23
    How do you logically represent "A while B" if not by the AND operator?

What is the truth table for WHILE? I've never seen one, but I'm sure it would be identical to that of AND.
    There wouldn't be a fixed truth table for WHILE because it would depend on the context.
  12. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:27
    Originally posted by Phlabibit

ES
    If my kid asks me if she may "read while eating," I'll say no. No reading at the dinner table.

If my kid asks me if the may "eat while reading," I'll say yes. She may eat a snack while doing her reading assignment.
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:281 edit
    There wouldn't be a fixed truth table for WHILE because it would depend on the context.
    If there's not a fixed truth table, the truth of the proposition is not well-defined.

How can you defend the superior as being truthful when you can't even define a formal standard for the truth of his responses?
  14. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:29
    Originally posted by Phlabibit

ES
    "Can I walk while hitting a golf ball?"

No, you must stand still to hit a gold ball with a club.

"Can I hit a golf ball while walking?"

Yes, if you don't look where you are walking, your foot may hit a ball in play, messing up a game of golf.
  15. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:31
    Originally posted by Coletti
    If my kid asks me if she may "read while eating," I'll say no. No reading at the dinner table.

If my kid asks me if the may "eat while reading," I'll say yes. She may eat a snack while doing her reading assignment.
    Uh . . .

Does "eat" mean to consume dinner at the dinner table or does it mean "to consume a light snack"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree