1. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:32
    Originally posted by Coletti
    "Can I walk while hitting a golf ball?"

No, you must stand still to hit a gold ball with a club.

"Can I hit a golf ball while walking?"

Yes, if you don't look where you are walking, your foot may hit a ball in play, messing up a game of golf.
    And here two different definitions of "hit"
  2. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:32
    Originally posted by telerion
    Uh . . .

Does "eat" mean to consume dinner at the dinner table or does it mean "to consume a light snack"?
    Either. It depends on the context of the question.
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:42
    Either. It depends on the context of the question.
    Ah, I get it now!

Read while Eating is a Big Meal

Eat while Reading is a small snack.

It all makes sense now.

ES
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:45
    "Can I walk while hitting a golf ball?"

No, you must stand still to hit a gold ball with a club.

"Can I hit a golf ball while walking?"

Yes, if you don't look where you are walking, your foot may hit a ball in play, messing up a game of golf.
    What makes you think I ever watch where I am walking? You guys are assuming a lot, and that would have to be done to make the original post 'true'.

ES
  5. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:52
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Ah, I get it now!

Read while Eating is a Big Meal

Eat while Reading is a small snack.

It all makes sense now.

ES
    The point is that one should not assume that two different questions have the same meaning just because the have the same words. Word order and context can (and often does) change what is meant by each word.

Even two identically worded questions can mean different things if the contexts are dramatically different.

Ironically, Ivanhoe has shown that fundamentalist are not the only ones who can make the error of literalism. Since it appears that the secularist here are making the error in this case.

But I think the error is one of poor reasoning - faulty interpretation.
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:56
    The point is that one should not assume that two different questions have the same meaning just because the have the same words. Word order and context can (and often does) change what is meant by each word.
    But there is no context change here. It is the same damn conversation!
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    17 May '05 18:001 edit

Even two identically worded ...[text shortened]... think the error is one of poor reasoning - faulty interpretation.
    The young monk asked his superior these 2 questions, how did the superior even know what he meant? I mean, words can mean so many things?! Did he mean 'smoke a cigarette in a smoke house like a salmon'?

Yes, words do mean different things, and if you are going to say yes and no to the EXACT SAME QUESTION you should explain the answer.

It matters not if you say pray or smoke first.... it matters how you understand the question.

The young monk should have said, 'Zwah'?

ES
  8. London
    Moves
    17 May '05 18:00
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    If there's not a fixed truth table, the truth of the proposition is not well-defined.

How can you defend the superior as being truthful when you can't even define a formal standard for the truth of his responses?
    "X is a prime number."

Does this proposition have a well-defined truth value? According to you - no, because it does not have a fixed truth table.

Now combine it with the statement "X = 3". See what I mean?

In order to create a truth table for WHILE (which, incidentally, is not a conjunction like AND/OR/NOR - but starts off a subordinate clause), one would need:

1. A kind of temporal logic that includes a time element.
    2. A way of representing context and literary connotations/implications.

The human reader picks up both these, as well as the irony of the situation, which is why the joke (and it is a joke) works.

The absence of a formal, universal standard of truth does not imply that one cannot determine the truth of the superior's statement in this given context.
  9. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    17 May '05 18:01
    The context is the answers are different.. And the word order has changed.
  10. London
    Moves
    17 May '05 18:02
    You're missing the point - it is the context that gives the term WHILE (when used the second time) its particular connotation of subordination as well as simultaneity. Had the narrative ended at the first reply, this connotation would not have been picked up.
  11. Standard membermantawa
    Muffin
    Moves
    17 May '05 18:08
    I think I got it!

Always light up before you start praying.
  12. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 May '05 18:112 edits
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    WHILE (which, incidentally, is not a conjunction like AND/OR/NOR - but starts off a subordinate clause)
    I beg to differ. Consult entry 2 for "while" at m-w.com. (Entry 1 is for the noun "while", which is obviously irrelevant here.) Note the part of speech: conjunction. Note that of the three definitions given for this conjunction, 1a, 2b, and 3 all conform well to the situation at hand. Thus, "while" is certainly a conjunction as used by the monk and understood by the superior, although I grant that it is not always a conjunction.
  13. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    17 May '05 18:19
    I beg to differ. Consult entry 2 for "while" at m-w.com. (Entry 1 is for the noun "while", which is obviously irrelevant here.) Note the part of speech: conjunction. Note that of the three definitions given for this conjunction, 1a, 2b, and 3 all conform well to the situation at hand. Thus, "while" is certainly a conjunction as used by the monk and understood by the superior, although I grant that it is not always a conjunction.
    It is a conjunction that starts off a subordinate clause.
  14. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 May '05 18:211 edit
    I can't believe I'm wasting my time with this nonsense. I'll be back later tonight. Maybe you will have it figured out by then.
  15. London
    Moves
    17 May '05 18:22
    Sorry - that should've read coordinating conjunction. WHILE is a subordinating conjunction as Coletti correctly points out.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree