1. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '09 20:29
    Originally posted by FMF
    Hypothetical scenario.

If I were a Catholic who had, thus far led a good life, and done all the things I was supposed to do, outwardly as well as in my heart. And here I was, at the midpoint of my adult life, converting to Islam (not superficially but after study and instruction) so that I could marry the love of my life, a Muslim woman. If I continued to liv ...[text shortened]... Muslim tradition... at the end of my life, would I still have a good chance of going to heaven?
    You have very little, almost negligable, chance of going to heaven.
  2. At the Revolution
    Moves
    24 Mar '09 20:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    Hypothetical scenario.

If I were a Catholic who had, thus far led a good life, and done all the things I was supposed to do, outwardly as well as in my heart. And here I was, at the midpoint of my adult life, converting to Islam (not superficially but after study and instruction) so that I could marry the love of my life, a Muslim woman. If I continued to liv ...[text shortened]... Muslim tradition... at the end of my life, would I still have a good chance of going to heaven?
    Any faithful Muslim can go to heaven.
  3. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '09 22:59
    Originally posted by scherzo
    Any faithful Muslim can go to heaven.
    It is highly unlikely that anyone goes to heaven.
  4. At the Revolution
    Moves
    25 Mar '09 00:07
    Originally posted by znsho
    It is highly unlikely that anyone goes to heaven.
    Au contraire. You have nothing to back that up.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Mar '09 06:25
    Actually he probably does have a lot of things to back that up. I know I do. I am sure you can also back up your claim but whether or not we could convince each other is a totally different matter.
  6. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '09 18:05
    The only evidence that there might be a heaven are several ancient books almost certainly written by humans who had no contact at all with a so-called god.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Mar '09 19:26
    The only evidence that there might be a heaven are several ancient books almost certainly written by humans who had no contact at all with a so-called god.
    Actually I would say the thousands of people who believe in it constitute at least as strong evidence as the ancient books do, after all ancient books are little more than a reflection of the beliefs of their writers.
    Other possible evidence to consider is all purported miracles which if verified would provide evidence that the beliefs are genuine.
    Personally though I am not convinced by the evidence but I do not deny that it exists.
  8. At the Revolution
    Moves
    25 Mar '09 22:05
    So rather than convincing people that heaven does not exist, you just unconvincingly try to trash our argument without providing any evidence to support you or show a contrary position.
  9. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 00:24
    So rather than convincing people that heaven does not exist, you just unconvincingly try to trash our argument without providing any evidence to support you or show a contrary position.
    I don't quite follow you. Are you saying that I should provide evidence that heaven does not exist?
  10. At the Revolution
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 22:25
    I don't quite follow you. Are you saying that I should provide evidence that heaven does not exist?
    I am. Astound us all.
  11. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '09 01:451 edit
    I am. Astound us all.
    I'll make a deal with you. You prove to me that more than one God does not exist, and I'll prove to you that Heaven does not exist.
  12. At the Revolution
    Moves
    27 Mar '09 23:52
    I'll make a deal with you. You prove to me that more than one God does not exist, and I'll prove to you that Heaven does not exist.
    Is polytheism an issue here? More than one God cannot exist because God is in everything.
  13. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '09 02:271 edit
    Is polytheism an issue here? More than one God cannot exist because God is in everything.
    No! Polyethism is not the issue. The issue is your challenge for me to prove Heaven does not exist. I am trying to show you that it is impossible to prove the non-existence of something. That is, just as I can't prove the non-existence of Heaven, you can not prove the non-existence of more than one God. Your challenge is therefore meaningless.
  14. At the Revolution
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 15:50
    No! Polyethism is not the issue. The issue is your challenge for me to prove Heaven does not exist. I am trying to show you that it is impossible to prove the non-existence of something. That is, just as I can't prove the non-existence of Heaven, you can not prove the non-existence of more than one God. Your challenge is therefore meaningless.
    You're going about it the wrong way. Don't prove that heaven does not exist; rather, disprove that it does.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 16:38
    I am trying to show you that it is impossible to prove the non-existence of something.
    That is a false assertion. I feel perfectly capable of proving that there are no pink unicorns hiding in my fridge. Especially the variety that emits flashes of very bright light.
    If something is defined sufficiently it is frequently possible to prove its non-existence - or at least provide sufficient evidence to convince the average person.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree