1. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 19:44
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    That is a false assertion. I feel perfectly capable of proving that there are no pink unicorns hiding in my fridge. Especially the variety that emits flashes of very bright light.
    If something is defined sufficiently it is frequently possible to prove its non-existence - or at least provide sufficient evidence to convince the average person.
    Pink unicorns do exist in your fridge. You just can't see or detect them.
  2. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 19:45
    Originally posted by scherzo
    You're going about it the wrong way. Don't prove that heaven does not exist; rather, disprove that it does.
    I can't get my head around this one.
  3. At the Revolution
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 01:13
    Originally posted by znsho
    I can't get my head around this one.
    Take the arguments that it does exist, and disprove them. If you do this accurately it's generally believable.
  4. At the Revolution
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 01:14
    But God certainly exists, because your pink unicorns have not been verified by several independent sources.
  5. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 03:53
    Take the arguments that it does exist, and disprove them. If you do this accurately it's generally believable.
    Interesting approach. OK, start me off - give me 2 or 3 arguments that heaven does exist.
  6. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 03:56
    But God certainly exists, because your pink unicorns have not been verified by several independent sources.
    I have seen them.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 07:45
    I am perfectly well aware that invisible pink unicorns exist in my fridge. But the type I am asserting do not exist are the visible type that emit flashes of very bright light.
    If you claim that they cannot be seen nor detected then you are being incoherent.
    The argument that it is impossible to prove the non existence of anything is simply false.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 07:461 edit
    I have seen them.
    You said I could not detect them. So you can detect them but I can't? How is that?

The normal conclusion at this point (you seeing pink unicorns that nobody else can see) is to declare you insane.
  9. At the Revolution
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 13:49
    You said I could not detect them. So you can detect them but I can't? How is that?

The normal conclusion at this point (you seeing pink unicorns that nobody else can see) is to declare you insane.
    True. But, to answer zzno's question above, the existence of heaven has been verified by several sources over the years. Not all of them are high on drugs, but no one else has verified the existence of unicorns in your fridge. If more people verified it independently without any need for personal gain, I would be closer to believing it than if you just randomly announced it out of the blue.
  10. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 20:12

You have got me by the short and curlies. I suppose I could say 'they cannot be seen or detected, except by me'. This sort of thing has happened before and have led to new religions. For example, no one except Joseph Smith could look at the tablets.
  11. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 20:13
    I am perfectly well aware that invisible pink unicorns exist in my fridge. But the type I am asserting do not exist are the visible type that emit flashes of very bright light.
    If you claim that they cannot be seen nor detected then you are being incoherent.
    The argument that it is impossible to prove the non existence of anything is simply false.
    Quote: The argument that it is impossible to prove the non existence of anything is simply false

Why?
  12. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 20:15
    True. But, to answer zzno's question above, the existence of heaven has been verified by several sources over the years. Not all of them are high on drugs, but no one else has verified the existence of unicorns in your fridge. If more people verified it independently without any need for personal gain, I would be closer to believing it than if you just randomly announced it out of the blue.
    I am intrigued, but skeptical. I am, however, open to new ideas.

Can you tell me about or reference these proofs? Thanks.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 20:47
    Pink unicorns? Of course they exist.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 05:09
    Quote: The argument that it is impossible to prove the non existence of anything is simply false

Why?
    Because it is trivial to define something that if it exists would be unmistakably detectable. This leads to the logical conclusion that if it is not detected it does not exist - proving your statement false.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 05:12
    True. But, to answer zzno's question above, the existence of heaven has been verified by several sources over the years.
    What do you mean here by 'verified'? If you simply mean that a few people have made the claim that it exists then you are correct. I am however not aware of anyone providing any other form of evidence than personal conviction.

If more people verified it independently without any need for personal gain, I would be closer to believing it than if you just randomly announced it out of the blue.
    But would you apply the same standard to heaven? Nobody claims the existence of heaven without a need for personal gain.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree