1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '12 10:53
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Never in my life have I ever met anyone of another religion that completely agrees with their religions teachings and doctrines, ever.
    Isn't it possible that these people you describe are open minded and that this explains why they do not completely agree with a particular dogma?
  2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    04 Dec '12 16:10
    Lord Jesus, I come before you just as I am. I am sorry for my sins, I repent of my sins, please forgive me. In your name I forgive all others for what they have done against me.

I renounce Satan, the evil spirits and all their works. I give you my entire self, Lord Jesus now and forever. I invite you into my life, Jesus. I accept you as my Lord, God and Saviour. Heal me, change me, strengthen me in body, soul, and spirit.

Come, Lord Jesus, cover me with your precious blood, and fill me with your Holy Spirit. I Love You, Lord Jesus. I Praise You, Jesus. I Thank You, Jesus. I shall follow you every day of my life. Amen.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '12 07:02
    Nope. Not a bad thing at all. In fact it is a wonderful thing. Never in my life have I ever met anyone of another religion that completely agrees with their religions teachings and doctrines, ever.
    You think "it's a wonderful thing" for people [JWs] to accept everything your fallible (your word) religious leaders say...

...and your self justification for holding this crazy viewpoint is that you have never seen this phenomena occurring in any other religious organisation...

Really!!?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '12 07:06
    Yes. I always have and always will. I think I explined that to you already.
    OK. Are you open to views differing from JW doctrine/dogma on any of the following:

- WT is the sole voice of god's truth on earth?

- Blood transfusions?

- Celebrating Christmas and birthdays?

- The Godhead?

- The deity of Christ?

Just to kick off with a few of the well worn ones...
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    05 Dec '12 13:50
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Lord Jesus, I come before you just as I am. I am sorry for my sins, I repent of my sins, please forgive me. In your name I forgive all others for what they have done against me.

I renounce Satan, the evil spirits and all their works. I give you my entire self, Lord Jesus now and forever. I invite you into my life, Jesus. I accept you as my Lord, God ...[text shortened]... d Jesus. I Praise You, Jesus. I Thank You, Jesus. I shall follow you every day of my life. Amen.
    What was the point of that post?

It doesn't respond to the OP of this thread.

It's not in reply to any post in this thread, and couldn't be considered the answer to any question raised in it.

You seem to have just randomly typed out a rather sickening piece of grovelling to a non-existent sky bully
    for no good reason in the middle of this thread...

Why?
  6. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    06 Dec '12 00:14
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    What was the point of that post?

It doesn't respond to the OP of this thread.

It's not in reply to any post in this thread, and couldn't be considered the answer to any question raised in it.

You seem to have just randomly typed out a rather sickening piece of grovelling to a non-existent sky bully
    for no good reason in the middle of this thread...

Why?
    Just to piss you off, did it work?
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    06 Dec '12 16:55
    Originally posted by divegeester
    OK. Are you open to views differing from JW doctrine/dogma on any of the following:

- WT is the sole voice of god's truth on earth?

- Blood transfusions?

- Celebrating Christmas and birthdays?

- The Godhead?

- The deity of Christ?

Just to kick off with a few of the well worn ones...
    Well I've listened to others views on these subjects all my life and have heard many versions. So why wouldn't I now? But it does not mean I'm not open minded just because I don't change my beliefs. Do you understand that?
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '12 17:11
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Just to piss you off, did it work?
    No.

Just reinforced my view that your religion is a pointless and dangerous waste of time.
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '12 17:13
    Well I've listened to others views on these subjects all my life and have heard many versions. So why wouldn't I now? But it does not mean I'm not open minded just because I don't change my beliefs. Do you understand that?
    Actually yes it does mean that you are not open minded.

The very definition of being open minded is that you change your beliefs when
    presented with evidence that those beliefs are wrong.

And moreover that you actively seek out such evidence and test your beliefs.

You are not prepared to change your beliefs, and don't seek out evidence that
    will contradict your beliefs, and are thus, by definition, not open minded.
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    06 Dec '12 17:21
    Actually yes it does mean that you are not open minded.

The very definition of being open minded is that you change your beliefs when
    presented with evidence that those beliefs are wrong.

And moreover that you actively seek out such evidence and test your beliefs.

You are not prepared to change your beliefs, and don't seek out evidence that
    will contradict your beliefs, and are thus, by definition, not open minded.
    Lol, that's about the silliest thing said here in awhile.
    But you are absolutly wrong my friend. I understand clearly what others believe on many spiritual issues. I also know why they were taught it by their churches and also know where those beliefs that are not taught in the Bible came from.
    So just because the "masses" of religious people believe a certain way does not mean it is correct, does it?
    In turn it does not mean on any level that I'm closed minded (as I could say the same of you and your beliefs ) just because I do not submit to those teachings.
    In fact the more I learn on a certian religious subjects such as the trinity, I am more convienced that it is wrong and more convienced I believe in the truths of the Bible instead of some paganistic man made belief.
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '12 19:01
    But you are absolutly wrong my friend. I understand clearly what others believe on many spiritual issues. I also know why they were taught it by their churches and also know where those beliefs that are not taught in the Bible came from.
    So just because the "masses" of religious people believe ...[text shortened]... convienced I believe in the truths of the Bible instead of some paganistic man made belief.
    But you are absolutly wrong my friend.

You evidently haven't read anything by RJHinds or Kelly in a while... Or your own posts frankly.

Also, I am not your friend, never have been.

I understand clearly what others believe on many spiritual issues.
    I also know why they were taught it by their churches and also know where those beliefs that are not taught in the Bible came from.
    So just because the "masses" of religious people believe a certain way does not mean it is correct, does it?

No you are absolutely right that just because masses of people (religious or otherwise) believe something that does not make
    it true.

However I never said otherwise.

What you said was "But it does not mean I'm not open minded just because I don't change my beliefs."

To which my reply was that "The very definition of being open minded is that you change your beliefs when
    presented with evidence that those beliefs are wrong. "

Notice the word 'evidence' in that sentence.

As you well know people believing something does not constitute evidence in and of itself that that thing is true.

In turn it does not mean on any level that I'm closed minded (as I could say the same of you and your beliefs ) just because I
    do not submit to those teachings.

Actually you can't (legitimately) claim that I am close minded, because I can and do change my mind when presented with evidence
    that shows that my previously held position was wrong.

You on the other hand are not prepared to change your mind, to change your beliefs.
    Which is what you said. "... because I don't change my beliefs."

Which does make you closed minded.

In fact the more I learn on a certian religious subjects such as the trinity, I am more convienced that it is wrong and more convienced
    I believe in the truths of the Bible instead of some paganistic man made belief.

You wont get any argument from me that those beliefs are ridiculous... However I have a good reason for ruling those beliefs ridiculous,
    that they are not supported by the evidence.
    What's your reason?

To be open minded IS to change your opinions/beliefs if presented with sufficient reason for doing so AND being open minded requires that
    you be prepared to listen to others views/beliefs and to challenge your own opinions/beliefs.

If you can't answer YES to the question "are you prepared to change your mind if presented with evidence or reason to justify doing so?"
    and you seek out people/situations/evidence that will challenge your beliefs then you are by definition closed minded.
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    06 Dec '12 19:44
    But you are absolutly wrong my friend.

You evidently haven't read anything by RJHinds or Kelly in a while... Or your own posts frankly.

Also, I am not your friend, never have been.

[quote]I understand clearly what others believe on many spiritual issues.
    I also know why ...[text shortened]... that will challenge your beliefs then you are by definition closed minded.
    I have complete faith and evidence that what I believe is correct. You or no one here or on this planet had proved otherwise. I've had many say this same exact thing you are saying now many times over and have shown me their thoughts and what they think is evidence. In your mind it may be the truth to you. But it is my open mind and really looking at their evidence that convinces me that what I do believe is correct.
    If the day comes that something we believe does not fit or seems wrong, believe me I will check it out completely......
    The Bible commands us to "Test" our beliefs and I do exactly that. I am not a fool and do not fall for anything I have doubts with and that is something you and the others here need to grasp.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Dec '12 22:19
    I 'understand' but don't agree; do you 'understand' that?

Hearing is one thing, but being open means that you are genuinely receptive to contradictory views from your own; you are not receptive to contradictory views, so you are not open.
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    06 Dec '12 22:32
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I 'understand' but don't agree; do you 'understand' that?

Hearing is one thing, but being open means that you are genuinely receptive to contradictory views from your own; you are not receptive to contradictory views, so you are not open.
    I do try as hard as I can to understand. I feel I do as good as anyone can. And not reacting right with others views is not always easy and something I'm really working on even when others try to make me react in a way I shouldn't. I should never do that.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 Dec '12 06:04
    I think the broader definition of "open-minded" would include the ability to
    empathise with those of different beliefs and/or the ability to change ones beliefs.

Semantics. (as usual ....) 😴

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree