1. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 05:13
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Convince me I should follow your view or philosophy.

A recent exchange with robbie carrobie provoked me to thinking about openness to new ideas and how, no matter how "informed" or educated a person may claim to be, if they are closed to even the slightest piece of new information or revelation then they/you/me/us are trapped in our own, or worse, someone else's paradigm.

I want to be open.
    Your mind wants to be open, wants this, wants that. You have no inherently existent self. If you do want to be open, to be this and to be that, evaluate your mind😡
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 09:22
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Why do you think being open is either a good thing or to be desired? You want
    to be so wavy nothing is solid for you, you want to be swayed by every word
    out of everyone's mouth? Look hard for the truth and stick with, just be sure
    it is the truth.
    Kelly
    Why do you think being open is either a good thing or to be desired?

You think being open-minded is a bad thing Kelly?

You want to be so wavy nothing is solid for you, you want to be swayed by every word out of everyone's mouth?

It's not about being swayed, it's about being intellectually brave; for want of a better word, enough to listen to points of view which conflict with your own.

Look hard for the truth and stick with, just be sure it is the truth.

How is one to know when they have found the truth?
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 09:46

A recent exchange with robbie carrobie provoked me to thinking about openness to new ideas and how, no matter how "informed" or educated a person may claim to be, if they are closed to even the slightest piece of new information or revelation then they/you/me/us are trapped in our own, or worse, someone else's paradigm.

I want to be open.
    because.........[heavy breathing]........im your father!!
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 11:58
    Roughly what are your current beliefs? Are you a young earth creationist? Do you accept evolution? Do you believe everything in the Bible is the inspired word of God? What are your views on science and its validity as a method for determining facts about the universe?
    Once I know your beliefs better, I can see where we differ and possibly convince you that my beliefs are closer to the truth.
  5. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 12:52
    it is the truth.
    Kelly
    Why is being 'open' the same as 'being swayed by every word out of everyone's mouth'?

You can be genuinely open to arguments, and reject every one put in front of you. It is only if you do not consider them properly that you should be accused of not being open.

People often complain 'You're not listening to me' when really they mean 'You are not agreeing with me'.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 12:54
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Why is being 'open' the same as 'being swayed by every word out of everyone's mouth'?
    I think it's what is commonly called a straw man argument.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 07:22
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I see some Christians take the bible as the original/primary truth. I disagree with that.
    All spirituality should come from oneself first.
    You say you are open; are these statements you have made representative of someone who is open?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 07:23
    it is the truth.
    Kelly
    How does me being "open"mean that I am "swayed on every word of everyone's mouth"?

Is that how you perceive me here?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 07:28
    Originally posted by Taoman
    Openness, but not "following" or "convincing". Why? These words imply, for me, a threat to openness. They imply choosing one over the other. They imply too many defining edges. This can lead to the destruction of an open heart and mind. With openness all can then be ours.

If those words are accompanied with such words as "at present", "from this viewpoint" ...[text shortened]... I am trying to convince you to be open - I fail! Ah well, it was fun writing it.
    Sounds like we need an agreed book of definitions.

I'm open to being convinced; but I'm no following you.

πŸ™‚
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 07:31
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Roughly what are your current beliefs? Are you a young earth creationist? Do you accept evolution? Do you believe everything in the Bible is the inspired word of God? What are your views on science and its validity as a method for determining facts about the universe?
    Once I know your beliefs better, I can see where we differ and possibly convince you that my beliefs are closer to the truth.
    You repeatedly surprise me with how little you know of me despite me posting here openly for several years. Besides, my current beliefs are not directly relevant in this discussion, yours are, I'm open to them if they are convincing.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 07:34
    Galveston sure what ya got?

divegeester How about you pick any one item from the catelogue of topics you and I have been debating here over the last 4 years, that you are open to change over. Any one...
    Bump for Galveston....
  12. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 08:38
    You repeatedly surprise me with how little you know of me despite me posting here openly for several years. Besides, my current beliefs are not directly relevant in this discussion, yours are, I'm open to them if they are convincing.
    I know very little about your beliefs also and yet we've been here the same amount of time. I know your a non-denominational Christian, who rejects the trinity doctrine who thinks that Islam is the work of the Devil. Other than that i couldn't tell you.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 08:59
    I tend to forget exactly who is who and what their exact beliefs are.
    Although I do not need to know your exact current beliefs, I can hardly go about convincing you that you are wrong and I am right if I do not know where we differ. For example, if I start out explaining evolution to you, yet you don't have any objections to evolution theory, I would be rather wasting my time, wouldn't I?
    There are hundreds or thousands of topics on which we have differing opinions / beliefs / understanding. I am simply not sure where to start. Any suggestions?
  14. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 11:08
    Sounds like we need an agreed book of definitions.

I'm open to being convinced; but I'm no following you.

πŸ™‚
    Can conviction and openness fit in the same box?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 11:131 edit
    Originally posted by Taoman
    Can conviction and openness fit in the same box?
    Regularly reassessed conviction in a box made of healthy doubt/skepticism and curiosity. I think it could work.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree