1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 03:46
    Originally posted by Taoman
    Yes. But it is a broad definition of "conviction", with all that doubt, skepticism and curiosity.
    It's a "broad definition of conviction"? Not really. I have a conviction that I am raising my sons well, but I constantly subject my actions, decisions and choices to reappraisal and reflection. As for curiosity, I am always interested to learn from the experiences and analysis of other parents that I know. My conviction that I my raising my sons well manifests itself in my consistency, my thoughtfulness, and my confidence. I don't see why "conviction" in this sense can't apply to speculation about spiritual matters.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 05:14
    Originally posted by divegeester
    You tend to speak in generalisations, claiming that one irrational belief leads to another; what statistical evidence do you have for this? Or is it an irrational belief?
    I have no statistical evidence. That doesn't make my belief irrational.
    So what are your thoughts on the matter? Do you disagree with it? Or are you neutral?
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 06:42
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So what are your thoughts on the matter? Do you disagree with it? Or are you neutral?
    I disagree that one (irrational thought) leads to another.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 06:44
    It doesn't make it rational. I'm not sure what the middle ground would be; speculative opinion I suppose.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 06:49
    Originally posted by Galveston

"sure what ya got?"

divegeester

"How about you pick any one item from the catelogue of topics you and I have been debating here over the last 4 years, that you are open to change over. Any one..."

Third bump for Galveston....
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 08:38
    What else do you feel you need to know and why?

My OP invites others to convince me about their own beliefs, not to mine and show me how they think I'm wrong.
    I don't need to know anything, i'm just pointing that even though you have been 'posting here openly for several years' i know very little about anything pertaining to your beliefs. Unlike twhitehead i have a very good memory, i can remember lots about other posters yet hardly anything from you except what i posted on the previous page.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 08:51
    It doesn't make it rational. I'm not sure what the middle ground would be; speculative opinion I suppose.
    That is falsely assuming that statistical evidence is the only possible valid evidence for the claim. It isn't.
    Nevertheless, it is probably largely speculative opinion - but not because I lack statistical evidence.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 08:52
    I disagree that one (irrational thought) leads to another.
    Do you have any reasoning to back that up? Are you also engaging in speculative opinion?
  9. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 12:223 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    It's a "broad definition of conviction"? Not really. I have a conviction that I am raising my sons well, but I constantly subject my actions, decisions and choices to reappraisal and reflection. As for curiosity, I am always interested to learn from the experiences and analysis of other parents that I know. My conviction that I my raising my sons well manifests ...[text shortened]... 't see why "conviction" in this sense can't apply to speculation about spiritual matters.
    I don't disagree with the point you are making, but I still think we are using the word differently (in the sense of the hardness of attitude we attribute to it), - neither being "wrong". I agree with the direction of what you are saying,and what you said before. One can only operate effectively from a solid center, the sort that solidifies with time after an open ongoing acquaintance with the differing views and ways..A functional solidity, but not a steel hard one.

We don't change central positions easily, nor should we. But growth even happens in the center, taking in, digesting and using that we encounter in our living. It's more like a dance. A shifting, searching movement, finding where we can grow more in our center. Or a bit like how plants grow, finding a decent foothold here, or heading for a patch of better light there. Solid but flexible in our core, open and searching for more nutrition in our outer encounter with life.

Thanks.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 16:57
    Do you have any reasoning to back that up?
    No more that you, but I'm not hung up on it.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 18:19
    No more that you, but I'm not hung up on it.
    Well it seems that topic doesn't really interest you and I have no really convincing arguments to support my case.
    So how about this one: the Theory of Evolution satisfactorily explains the diversity of life and how it got here from single celled ancestors in the distant past. Is this something you disagree with?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Dec '12 18:26
    Galveston, I've bumped this thread for you 4 times since your expressed intent to be open to something that contradicts JW doctrine; are you going to face up or continue to hide?
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Dec '12 19:20
    the Theory of Evolution satisfactorily explains the diversity of life and how it got here from single celled ancestors in the distant past. Is this something you disagree with?
    No.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Dec '12 19:252 edits
    Well it seems that topic doesn't really interest you and I have no really convincing arguments to support my case.
    So how about this one: the Theory of Evolution satisfactorily explains the diversity of life and how it got here from single celled ancestors in the distant past. Is this something you disagree with?
    Like you, I don't understand why DG refuses to at least sketch out his beliefs even though you've prompted him to do so. He seems to indicate that he likes to believe that he's open to "new information or revelation", yet he has put you in the position of having to guess what might constitute "new information or revelation" for him. Doesn't make much sense to me either. With such a "closed" attitude, how "open" can he possibly be?
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '12 00:46
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Like you, I don't understand why DG refuses to at least sketch out his beliefs
    My beliefs have already been "sketched out by Proper Knob" in this thread. I've nothing to hide; I'm non-denominational Christian and anti-organised religion. Why don't you pick up on the OP and convince methat whatever it is you believe is something I should be interested in?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree