1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 15:52
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Are we talking re-definition, or removal of definition?
    Not exactly either, or so I think. More like recognition that the distinctions introduced by the definitions are illusory. There are of course, useful fictions in life. Our legal system and as such a large element of our social structure depends on differentiating the perpetrator from the victim.

I suppose one way of looking at it is; supposing that we are all destined to reunite into ONE being, after only briefly being separated, then the idea that we are immutably individual beings (being based on the apparent situation) is not the bottom line for our existence. Alan Watts playfully suggested we are God, playing hide and seek with himself.

I'm taking this thread as a way to explore ideas that seem crazy but that can have reason to be considered -- and that are in fact accepted as sane in different cultures. So if nobody thinks the idea is at least a little crazy, it's not a "candidate" for discussion IMO.
  2. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 16:00
    That doesn't matter - I just want to know if you have any crazy beliefs.
    Oh, well, if you must. I actually don't exist (inherently). Neither do you.
  3. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 16:12
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    what are you!!! i demand to know!!!! ive got all these boxes with labels and i need to put you all in one. spill the beans..........i guess i could but you in miscellaneous for now.
    Does it mean I am an agnostic? No, I am not an agnostic, nor am I not an agnostic. Now that didn't get either of us anywhere. Ah well, hope your not obsessive compulsive about labels.
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 16:16
    Originally posted by Taoman
    Does it mean I am an agnostic? No, I am not an agnostic, nor am I not an agnostic. Now that didn't get either of us anywhere. Ah well, hope your not obsessive compulsive about labels.
    god dammit man!!! im going to have to build a quantum box to put you in, grrrrr.
  5. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 16:30
    Perhaps this was a crazy belief at the time...

Years ago, in theological college, my wife and I were seeking God's guidance as to whether we should try for a first child. So we prayed earnestly. I had some part-time work doing some cleaning at a kindergarten. One night I found some milk and bottle formula in cartons with a note - "These are for you". So I took them joyously and considered it clear guidance and went on and we 'commenced' our first child.
    I found out later they weren't for us...they had been left there for the kindergarten. I had thus - stolen them! 😳
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 16:48
    Perhaps this was a crazy belief at the time...

Years ago, in theological college, my wife and I were seeking God's guidance as to whether we should try for a first child. So we prayed earnestly. I had some part-time work doing some cleaning at a kindergarten. One night I found some milk and bottle formula in cartons with a note - "These are for you". So I ...[text shortened]... en't for us...they had been left there for the kindergarten. I had thus - stolen them! 😳
    sorry, very funny but very crazy.....however.

i have a similar story. my wife and i were having a conversation about having a child, we were unsure and failed to come to a conclusion. i suggested we should sleep on it. when i awoke the next morning..... behold - i had an erection. i took this as sign and proceeded to have sex with my wife, when she awoke i told her of the miraculous events. now every time i awake with an erection i see it as a sign from god and very quietly have sex with my wife.
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 16:561 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    Not exactly either, or so I think. More like recognition that the distinctions introduced by the definitions are illusory. There are of course, useful fictions in life. Our legal system and as such a large element of our social structure depends on differentiating the perpetrator from the victim.

I suppose one way of looking at it is; supposing that we are obody thinks the idea is at least a little crazy, it's not a "candidate" for discussion IMO.
    I have a hard time evaluating the craziness of these types of beliefs because I can't get a handle on what the belief actually is. [Other than the contention that we are immutable, which seems obvious enough.] I am so used to thinking in terms of separate objects and people, etc. that I find it hard to conceive of any practical use for the view that everything is one. I'm not even sure what that means.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 17:00
    Oh, well, if you must. I actually don't exist (inherently). Neither do you.
    With the word 'inherently' thrown in, that sounds straightforward enough.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 17:02
    god dammit man!!! im going to have to build a quantum box to put you in, grrrrr.
    I forgot the term ... 'verificationist' perhaps ... someone who thinks the terms themselves are incoherent.
  10. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    27 Sep '12 00:121 edit
    sorry, very funny but very crazy.....however.

i have a similar story. my wife and i were having a conversation about having a child, we were unsure and failed to come to a conclusion. i suggested we should sleep on it. when i awoke the next morning..... behold - i had an erection. i took this as sign and proceeded to have sex with my wife, when she a ...[text shortened]... me i awake with an erection i see it as a sign from god and very quietly have sex with my wife.
    Hahahaha! You too were 'lead' by the Lord, eh?
  11. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    27 Sep '12 00:22
    With the word 'inherently' thrown in, that sounds straightforward enough.
    Oh, you don't count, dammit!
    I'm trying.
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    27 Sep '12 01:27
    Oh, you don't count, dammit!
    I'm trying.
    I'm sure your material will impress the other judges. I'll be like the low score in Olympic judging. Just throw it out. 🙂
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Sep '12 05:14
    I have a hard time evaluating the craziness of these types of beliefs because I can't get a handle on what the belief actually is. [Other than the contention that we are immutable, which seems obvious enough.] I am so used to thinking in terms of separate objects and people, etc. that I find it hard to conceive of any practical use for the view that everything is one. I'm not even sure what that means.
    Well one thing we all being one means to me, is to relax a little. Someone who is already relaxed, like you may be, may not get that much more out of hearing it. I don't mean by relaxed, uncaring. I mean, having a feeling that things will work out, in the end.

I am still hoping for this to be the craziest belief. 😉
  14. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    27 Sep '12 06:36
    I believe that the being, entity or force which we call God is either the sum total of all existence or God does not exist. I also believe that every one of us may be wrong in our assessment of this God.😀
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Sep '12 07:22
    Originally posted by caissad4
    I believe that the being, entity or force which we call God is either the sum total of all existence or God does not exist. I also believe that every one of us may be wrong in our assessment of this God.😀
    the 'sum total' bit sounded as crazy as a dasa in mosque. the rest sounded pretty damn sensible to me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree