1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    23 May '16 23:55
    Curiosity Corner

    1. What are the three most important absolute truths revealed within the Word of God?

    2.
  2. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Joined
    25 Jun '06
    Moves
    64930
    24 May '16 08:34
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Curiosity Corner

    1. What are the three most important absolute truths revealed within the Word of God?

    2.[/b]
    2.....[empty category ]

    Correct
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    24 May '16 13:14
    Originally posted by finnegan
    2.....[empty category ]

    Correct
    Apparently "Correct" for you though not "Correct" for me.
  4. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    24 May '16 13:33
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Apparently "Correct" for you though not "Correct" for me.
    Not much in the way of "absolute truths" then, are they?
  5. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3081
    24 May '16 15:29
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Curiosity Corner

    1. What are the three most important absolute truths revealed within the Word of God?

    2.[/b]
    What's an "absolute truth" and how is it distinguished from a "truth"?
  6. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Joined
    20 Apr '16
    Moves
    2040
    24 May '16 17:021 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    What's an "absolute truth" and how is it distinguished from a "truth"?
    In general, absolute truth is whatever is always valid, regardless of parameters or context. The absolute in the term connotes one or more of: a quality of truth that cannot be exceeded; complete truth; unvarying and permanent truth. It can be contrasted to relative truth or truth in a more ordinary sense in which a degree of relativity is implied.

    http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/absolute-truth
  7. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3081
    24 May '16 19:05
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    In general, absolute truth is whatever is always valid, regardless of parameters or context. The absolute in the term connotes one or more of: a quality of truth that cannot be exceeded; complete truth; unvarying and permanent truth. It can be contrasted to relative truth or truth in a more ordinary sense in which a degree of relativity is implied.

    http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/absolute-truth
    Consider the following statement:

    "Napoleon was emperor of France."

    True or absolutely true?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86373
    24 May '16 19:151 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Curiosity Corner

    1. What are the three most important absolute truths revealed within the Word of God?

    2.[/b]
    Are you wishing to engage in discussion, or make a list about "curiosities"?

    Honest question...
  9. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    24 May '16 19:39
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    In general, absolute truth is whatever is always valid, regardless of parameters or context.
    So if it isn't true when set in Lord of the Rings then it isn't an absolute truth?

    In another thread you posted the absolute opposite when you said:
    If what you mean by the word absolute is that there is a rule that is somehow fixed in heaven and applies to everything under heaven by its own force and there are no exemptions or exceptions to the rule, and everything and everyone and everybody must bow to the rule, including God for it to be an absolute, well, then there aren't any absolutes like that. I think that is an abuse of the word. No, I think an absolute isn't the kind of thing that never is exempted, but is an objective moral rule that has to do with a circumstance and is always applicable in those circumstances applied in the same way.

    So are you now abusing the word?
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    24 May '16 22:03
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    What's an "absolute truth" and how is it distinguished from a "truth"?
    In the context of an online spirituality forum: all "absolute truth" is revealed within the Word of God; while "truth" would be acquired within the context of the secular or human realm. Thanks for your question which recognizes a distinction with a difference.
  11. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3081
    25 May '16 06:25
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    In the context of an online spirituality forum: all "absolute truth" is revealed within the Word of God; while "truth" would be acquired within the context of the secular or human realm. Thanks for your question which recognizes a distinction with a difference.
    I see. So an absolute truth can be (and generally is) disputed while a truth is often generally accepted?
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    25 May '16 06:38
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I see. So an absolute truth can be (and generally is) disputed while a truth is often generally accepted?
    An "absolute truth" revealed within the Word of God stands and abides forever
    whether it is "generally accepted" or not.
  13. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    25 May '16 06:461 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    An "absolute truth" revealed within the Word of God stands and abides forever
    whether it is "generally accepted" or not.
    So one of your supposed "absolute truths" is a subjective thing for which you cannot ~ and seemingly feel no need to ~ provide anything objective to lend it credence, but an ordinary "truth" is, by contrast, subject to or dependent on evidence, proof, argument etc. or the lack thereof, is that what you mean?
  14. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    Joined
    09 Apr '10
    Moves
    14251
    25 May '16 06:47
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    In the context of an online spirituality forum: all "absolute truth" is revealed within the Word of God; while "truth" would be acquired within the context of the secular or human realm. Thanks for your question which recognizes a distinction with a difference.
    Perhaps in the context of a christianity forum this might float, but I rather suspect those of faiths other than yours might question your definition of the 'Word of God'. Also, how do you know that what you consider to be god's words are not actually just the words of men? Pretty wooly absolutes you have there I think.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    25 May '16 08:54
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Are you wishing to engage in discussion, or make a list about "curiosities"?

    Honest question...
    Yes.
Back to Top