1. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    07 Sep '13 14:02
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The Torah is the first five books of the Holy Bible. So you must mean you believe in the Talmud.

Yahshua condemned the traditions of men by the Scribes and Pharisees, who taught it, because it nullified the teachings of the Scriptures. The warning of Christ about the tradition of men that voids Scripture (Mark 7:1-13), is in fact, a direct reference to ...[text shortened]... part of it, the Mishnah, which existed in oral form during Christ's lifetime.

The Instructor
    Torah can refer specifically to the 1st five books of Moses, and by extension to the entire tanac h (the Hebrew scriptures. That is the written Torah. Of equal weight in Judaism is the Oral Torah: the talmuds the midrashim and, for many, various texts of kabbalah. But the oral Torah is not limited to what was eventually written down to preserve the thoughts of the rabbis—it is an ongoing engagement, which each person is challenged to add to the ongoing Torah. If I do not add my understandings/interpretations (such as they may be), the Torah is not complete.

Judaism is essentially (with the exception of a small group called the Kairites) the religion of the Dual Torah, and is based more on hermeneutics than dogma.

Here are a few quotes from Talmudic sources:

“Why are the words of Torah like fire? A fire is built of many logs and the words of Torah survive only through many minds.” (tractate Ta’anit)

“Whenever a man studies words of Torah, he is certain to find a meaning in them.” (tractate Eruvin)

Rav Hisda said: “To learn Torah…it is better to go to several teachers. The many different explanations will help to give you understanding.” (tractate Avodah Zarah)

“The words of Torah are fruitful and multiply!” (tractate Hagigah)

“He who toils in Torah and discovers in it new meanings that are true contributes new Torah which is treasured by the congregation of Israel.” (the Zohar)

“A place has been left for me to labor in it [the Torah].” (tractate Hullin)

—Talmudic quotes from The Talmudic Anthology, Louis I. Newman, ed.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Sep '13 19:59
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Torah can refer specifically to the 1st five books of Moses, and by extension to the entire tanac h (the Hebrew scriptures. That is the written Torah. Of equal weight in Judaism is the Oral Torah: the talmuds the midrashim and, for many, various texts of kabbalah. But the oral Torah is not limited to what was eventually written down to pres ...[text shortened]... tractate Hullin)

—Talmudic quotes from The Talmudic Anthology, Louis I. Newman, ed.
    Too many cooks spoil the broth.

The Instructor
  3. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    07 Sep '13 20:29

The Instructor
    LOL! (That is not intended as a sarcastic LOL, just a good-natured laugh.)
  4. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    09 Sep '13 15:511 edit

The Instructor
    Your typical way of getting out of reading someone's post.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Sep '13 00:01
    Originally posted by Tygert
    Your typical way of getting out of reading someone's post.
    What makes you think I replied to his post without reading it?

The Instructor
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Sep '13 01:03

The Instructor
    But too much broth can spoil the cook.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Sep '13 01:14
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    But too much broth can spoil the cook.
    That is your problem, not mine.

The Instructor

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree