1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 05:03
    I've asked this question deep into a thread, but I didn't get any answers. So I try again in a separate thread: again

What is the definition of a christian? What is the least denominator?
  2. Joined
    28 Jan '04
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 05:13
    John 3:16. If you believe that, you're a X'n.
  3. The sky
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 07:19

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 07:32

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 08:10
    Start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity

You're welcome.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 08:17
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I've asked this question deep into a thread, but I didn't get any answers. So I try again in a separate thread: again

[b]What is the definition of a christian? What is the least denominator?
    [/b]
    If you do not claim to be a Christian then a Christian is anyone who claims to be one.

If you do claim to be a Christian then a Christian is anyone who's beliefs are close enough to yours that you are willing to be categorised in roughly the same group. However, you may still decide to subdivide further. For example the group whose beliefs match yours almost exactly are "True Christians". Anyone you feel is seriously letting down your beliefs is a member of a 'cult'. If anyone is particularly antagonistic to your beliefs then they are the Antichrist.

As you might have realised by now, these words are all relative, ie what a persons correct label is, depends on how valid you think his beliefs are.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 08:441 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If you do not claim to be a Christian then a Christian is anyone who claims to be one.

If you do claim to be a Christian then a Christian is anyone who's beliefs are close enough to yours that you are willing to be categorised in roughly the same group. However, you may still decide to subdivide further. For example the group whose beliefs match yours lative, ie what a persons correct label is, depends on how valid you think his beliefs are.
    Your writings are deep and certainly true, but it doesn't answer my question.

I want a short definition that define all christians within the definition, and all non-christian to be outside that definition.

luctrucs definition is short and clear: "John 3:16. If you believe that, you're a X'n." but is it valid in detail?

If, let's say Hilter believs in John 3:16, then he is christian? Not necessarily a good christian (That demands another definition, "what is a good christian", but that we take later.), but still a christian due to this definition.

A friend of mine says she's a christian, but still she likes the buddhist idea idea of reincarnation. She believes in John 3:16 but is that enough in her case?

(Thank you, forum moderator, for moving this thread to its proper forum.)
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 09:101 edit
    A Christian is a person I dont like very much. A Christian is a person who will use, "Whatever" to make their Jesus better known. A Christian is a person who is racist and supports anything that makes their beliefs better known.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 09:25
    Your writings are deep and certainly true, but it doesn't answer my question.

I want a short definition that define all christians within the definition, and all non-christian to be outside that definition.
    Well if you want the official definition, use a Dictionary, or Wikipedia.

If you want common usage then see my post.

If you want to make up your own, then feel free to do so, just give us the courtesy of noting your definition whenever you use it so we can understand you.

If you want us to make up one that fits your requirements then WWindmill's version would work rather nicely. Clearly everyone in the world is someone who he either 'doesn't like very much' or he does. The only problem being that you may have to consult him every time you want to know who is a Christian, but then maybe you could just ask him to send you a list of all the people he likes very much.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 09:37
    Good thread.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 09:441 edit
    Round where I cum from you get idiots on heavy metal radio stations who think they are Christians because they play Christian music from time to time. Christianity is basically about making money.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 09:46
    This Christian believes in a wwflood but this Christian doesnt and both support their beliefs from the same book of lies. This Christian believes in......
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 10:03
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Well if you want the official definition, use a Dictionary, or Wikipedia.

If you want common usage then see my post.

If you want to make up your own, then feel free to do so, just give us the courtesy of noting your definition whenever you use it so we can understand you.

If you want us to make up one that fits your requirements then WWindmill's ...[text shortened]... t then maybe you could just ask him to send you a list of all the people he likes very much.
    If I use Wikipedia, it wouldn't be much of a debate, would it?

I'm looking for a definition that we can agree upon. So when someone says "I'm a christian" I can tell if he is or not.

Like:
    Does a christian have to believe in creationism?
    Must a christian kill homosexuals, because it says so in the bible?
    Must a christian be against abortion?
    Is aids better than condoms, as the pope says in Africa?

Or is John 3:16 enough?

An interesting question is - are all cristian preapare to accept a common definition, are are there many definitions du to ones personal beliefs?

If there is no valid definition - can anyone say that "I am christian and therefore I have the truth about --- in my hand!"
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 10:061 edit
    Christianity is about accepting, through the love of Jesus, the faults that others have in the same book of lies.
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 10:17
    If I use Wikipedia, it wouldn't be much of a debate, would it?

I'm looking for a definition that we can agree upon. So when someone says "I'm a christian" I can tell if he is or not.

Like:
    Does a christian have to believe in creationism?
    Must a christian kill homosexuals, because it says so in the bible?
    Must a christian be against abortion?
    Is ...[text shortened]... can anyone say that "I am christian and therefore I have the truth about --- in my hand!"
    You're just trolling, so there isn't much of a debate here.

def: Orange
    http://www.digitalcoding.com/programming/delphi/tutorial/images/pro30_1.jpg

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree