1. Cosmos
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 03:17
    That's all I ask.
    If I believed in the Flying Spaghetti monster, then in order for you to dispute my claim, I would have to define what I thought it was.

Please be as specific as you can; try and avoid vagueness.

So come on all ye faithful - describe for me what it is you worship.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 05:00
    Originally posted by howardgee
    That's all I ask.
    If I believed in the Flying Spaghetti monster, then in order for you to dispute my claim, I would have to define what I thought it was.

Describe the Flying Spagetti monster.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 05:04
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    He didn't say he believed in the FSM.
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 05:48
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    why not just look up His website? http://www.venganza.org/
  5. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 13:55
    I don't worship, more's the pity, but I will try to describe my concept of God. I only have words to work with here, so please excuse me when I find it impossible to get it right.

God is the image of the ultimate, the image of perfection. God is home to the idea that even when you are capable of doing anything, you still only do what is right (not exclusively in a moral sense here--let's not get confused by narrowing definitions). God is who you can have faith in when you find you don't have faith in anything, especially yourself. God is that force that those people who are always trying to be the best are trying to defeat, trying to surpass.

God is holy when nothing of the world created by human perception can be.

God is the quintessential parent who will never reject, always help with open arms, yet never let you forget that there are consquenses for your actions.

God very well may be a metaphor, but if He is, then He is a strong one, and He is only because humans either are incapable or refuse to stand next to the God that is always by our side.

Open up your heart and hear the angels. Forget religion if you must--mere trappings made from the stuff of this world that is often full of an over-inflated sense of its own importence. Once you hear, then you won't be asking for such definitions anymore.
  6. Cosmos
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 15:43
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    I don't worship, more's the pity, but I will try to describe my concept of God. I only have words to work with here, so please excuse me when I find it impossible to get it right.

God is the image of the ultimate, the image of perfection. God is home to the idea that even when you are capable of doing anything, you still only do what is right (not ...[text shortened]... its own importence. Once you hear, then you won't be asking for such definitions anymore.
    So God is "an image", "a metaphor". "a force".

Images can be illusions.
    Metaphors do not exist, that is why they are metaphors.
    Gravity is a force; so is a push.

Is that all you can come up with?
    In your entire paragraph, you have not managed to list one single concrete property of God.
    Perhaps this is not surprising, as you believe in the preposterous statement that "world (is) created by human perception ".
    Of course the world already exists before we percieve it. We do not bring the world into existence by viewing it.

It is interesting that not one single other Xstian has even attempted to better this feeble effort.
    Do you lot have any idea what it is you are devoting your lives to?
  7. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 15:46

Images can be illusions.

In your entire paragraph, you have not managed to list one single concrete property of God.
    Perhaps this is not surprising, as you believe in the prepos ...[text shortened]... this feeble effort.
    Define "concrete property".
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 15:47

Images can be illusions.

Perhaps this is not surprising, as you believe in the prepos ...[text shortened]... this feeble effort.
    What are you looking for the physical description of God?
    Kelly
  9. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 16:041 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    What are you looking for the physical description of God?
    Kelly
    Logicians have a term for such machination as HG's loaded questions: circulus in probando. Since materialism is one of his premises, he assumes the very thing he is trying to prove: the non-existence of the Transcendent.
  10. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 19:12

Perhaps this is not surprising, as you believe in the preposterous statement that "w ...[text shortened]... this feeble effort.
    Images can be illusions.

Very true. A great many things are images, and all of them can be illusions. Love is an image. So is victory, so is culture. Should these things be disbanded?

Absolutely not true. Metaphors exist to bring understanding of something that is otherwise beyond our scope, past our ability to percieve.

So? Should we create another thread just to list all the forces we can have? Here you're the one who couldn't come up with something better.

Oh, and "perfection" is a concrete property. Or were you looking for the color of God's eyes? Or maybe his shoe size? Perhaps you need to step away from your Zeus on the mountaintop conception of God.
  11. Standard memberShallowBlue
    Bah Humbug!
    C:\Drive
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 22:28

God is the image of the ultimate, the image of perfection. God is home to the idea that even when you are capable of doing anything, you still only do what is right (not ...[text shortened]... its own importence. Once you hear, then you won't be asking for such definitions anymore.
    A very eloquent post 🙂
  12. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 22:34
    Originally posted by ShallowBlue
    A very eloquent post 🙂
    That means a lot, truly, especially coming from a Freethinker. If you're ever looking for another clan I'll clear a spot right next to the Labrador for you.
  13. Standard memberShallowBlue
    Bah Humbug!
    C:\Drive
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 22:40
    That means a lot, truly, especially coming from a Freethinker. If you're ever looking for another clan I'll clear a spot right next to the Labrador for you.
    Thanks. I appreciate the offer but I remain an atheist. I simply thought your description of god a cut above the usual ramblings. May He keep you safe.
  14. DonationQuirine
    Tovenaar
    Dieren
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 22:401 edit
    That's all I ask.

Here's my conception of God:

-God is the creator of all spirits/souls (or whatever name you want to give it). All those souls/spirits are identical to God in every sense with one exception: God created everything but 'everything' did not create God.
    All those souls/spirits have complete freedom to be and/or to do whatever they want.
    -God does not condemn anything
    -God (as well as all other souls/spirits) lives forever
    -God is love

These are only words, it describes only a bit of how I think of God

Otto

PS, forgive my English, Dutch is my native language
  15. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 23:13
    Originally posted by ShallowBlue
    Thanks. I appreciate the offer but I remain an atheist. I simply thought your description of god a cut above the usual ramblings. May He keep you safe.
    Actually, most likely all the members of my clan minus me are probably atheists, though I've not recieved any confirmation along those lines. Whatever--thanks for the compliment, I hope I helped more than hindered.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree