1. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    25 Feb '14 06:282 edits
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "We arrive at the truth through the honest disagreement among friends." John Locke would, I imagine, also observe that "useful discussions" in an online forum would become unproductive if participants became defensive and/or emotional.
    You could do a lot worse than to heed this valuable advice yourself!

I have yet to have a "useful discussion" with you on any subject.

Your pattern (and even more so, that of RJH) is to simply quote Bible verses, which you then interpret in your personal way, and totally ignore the points painstakingly being made.

"Useful discussion"? I don't think so. "Emotional and defensive"? Definitely!
  2. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    25 Feb '14 06:461 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    One of the few things I seem to agree with GB is that the book by CS Lewis "Mere Christianity" is a good start. He presents his journey, as an Oxford don, from agnosticism to Christianity in exquisite language and sound reasoning. If only GB himself would heed his advice!

On a more advanced level, you may try the website www.cac.org. It stands for the Centre for Action and Contemplation. Why i like it is because it rises higher than many of the denomination-specific writers, most of which have an axe to grind. The author is a Catholic Monk (Franciscan, in fact) but he shows how the essential message of Christ transcends divisions and even faiths.

I wish you well on your journey.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Feb '14 11:15
    Originally posted by CalJust
    You could do a lot worse than to heed this valuable advice yourself!

I have yet to have a "useful discussion" with you on any subject.

Your pattern (and even more so, that of RJH) is to simply quote Bible verses, which you then interpret in your personal way, and totally ignore the points painstakingly being made.

"Useful discussion"? I don't think so. "Emotional and defensive"? Definitely!
    Good morning, CJ. Just had a wonderful dream about Dragonflies and Purple Martins picnicking together at an RHP Meet Up.
  4. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    25 Feb '14 11:291 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Good morning, CJ. Just had a wonderful dream about Dragonflies and Purple Martins picnicking together at an RHP Meet Up.
    I think I would prefer to talk about purple martins with you.

Is that a US bird?

On my last trip to the US I saw some very interesting birds - your blue jays, cardinals and woodpeckers - which are in some instances quite similar to SA birds, but again in others quite different.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Feb '14 11:331 edit
    One of the few things I seem to agree with GB is that the book by CS Lewis "Mere Christianity" is a good start. He presents his journey, as an Oxford don, from agnosticism to Christianity in exquisite language and sound reasoning. If only GB himself would heed his advice!

On a more advanced level, you may try the website www.cac.org. It stands for the Cen ...[text shortened]... ial message of Christ transcends divisions and even faiths.

On a more advanced level, you may try the website www.cac.org. It stands for the Centre for Action and Contemplation. Why i like it is because it rises higher than many of the denomination-specific writers, most of which have an axe to grind. The author is a Catholic Monk (Franciscan, in fact) but he shows how the essential message of Christ transcends divisions and even faiths.

CJ, here are a few quotations from the Spirituality Quotations thread; I hope both you and Duchess64 enjoy them:

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." -C.S. Lewis

"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important." -C.S. Lewis

"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'" -C.S. Lewis

"God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing." -C.S. Lewis

“Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning...” C.S. Lewis

"If you want to get warm you must stand near the fire: if you want to be wet you must get into the water. If you want joy, power, peace, eternal life, you must get close to, or even into, the thing that has them. They are not a sort of prize which God could, if He chose, hand out to anyone. They are a great fountain of energy and beauty spurting up at the very centre of reality. If you are close to it, the spray will wet you: if you are not,, you will remain dry. Once a man is united to God, how could he not live forever? Once a man is separated from God, what can he do but wither and die.” CS Lewis

"The Problem of Pain (1940)"

"Love is something more stern and splendid than mere kindness. Love may forgive all infirmities and love still in spite of them: but Love cannot cease to will their removal.

Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment. God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world. God will look to every soul like its first love because He is its first love. Try to exclude the possibility of suffering which the order of nature and the existence of free-wills involve, and you find that you have excluded life itself.

What would really satisfy us would be a God who said of anything we happened to like, "What does it matter so long as they are contented?" We want, in fact, not so much a Father in Heaven as a grandfather in heaven:
    a senile benevolence who, as they say, "liked to see young people enjoying themselves" and whose plan for the universe was simply that it might be truly said at the end of each day, "a good time was had by all".

In the long run the answer to all those who object to the doctrine of hell, is itself a question: What are you asking God to do? To wipe out their past sins and, at all costs, to give them a fresh start, smoothing every difficulty and offering every miraculous help? But He has done so, on Calvary. To forgive them? They will not be forgiven. To leave them alone? Alas, I am afraid that is what He does.

I call this Divine humility because it is a poor thing to strike our colours to God when the ship is going down under us; a poor thing to come to Him as a last resort, to offer up "our own" when it is no longer worth keeping.

If God were proud He would hardly have us on such terms: but He is not proud, He stoops to conquer, He will have us even though we have shown that we prefer everything else to Him, and come to Him because there is "nothing better" now to be had. If He who in Himself can lack nothing chooses to need us, it is because we need to be needed." C.S. Lewis

“I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”
    -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.” -C.S. Lewis

"It is hard to have patience with people who say 'There is no death' or "Death doesn't matter." There is death. And whatever is matters. And whatever happens has consequences, and it and they are irrevocable and irreversible. You might as well say that birth doesn't matter." (C. S. Lewis)

"Humility, after the first shock, is a cheerful virtue." -C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain

"Everything you add to the truth subtracts from the truth. When truth is discovered
    by someone else, it loses something of its attractiveness." -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie (deliberate, contrived, and dishonest)
    but the myth (persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic)." -John F. Kennedy

In chess and life, "The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off." -M. Pancoast
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Feb '14 11:521 edit
    I think I would prefer to talk about purple martins with you.

Is that a US bird?

On my last trip to the US I saw some very interesting birds - your blue jays, cardinals and woodpeckers - which are in some instances quite similar to SA birds, but again in others quite different.
    Still bleary eyed from sleep... at first I thought it read 'purple martinis'. Unsure of its origin or habitat, though Louisiana was mentioned. Maybe the reference text gives a clue. Yes, Bird Watchers of all ages here. My brother in Texas mentioned various Hawks and other spectacular birds just yesterday. Time to return to the scene of the picnic. Thanks.
  7. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    25 Feb '14 12:331 edit
    [i]Originally posted by Grampy Bobby[i/]

CJ, here are a few quotations from the Spirituality Quotations thread
    Thanks, that guy really had a gift with words - and great insights.

I still think he is wrong about Hell, though.

Thank goodness each of us has at least one fault, otherwise we would be insufferable...
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Feb '14 20:25

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Feb '14 20:44
    Would there be a short list of "Christian academic philosophers" authors or works you'd recommend? Reveal Hidden Content
    Postscript: In polite company, personal comparisons are still considered odious. Thanks for opening the hidden box.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Feb '14 21:392 edits

11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Feb '14 22:071 edit
    " How long will GrampyBobby keep harassing me when I have
    made it clear enough that I have no interest in communicating with him?"

Duchess64, out of curiosity to whom do you refer?

Postscript: Here's an interesting observation: "Nobody talks so constantly
    about God as those who insist that there is no God." Heywood Broun

Note: "Players" Table has one entry: "grampybobby Rating (p 1200)
    Last moved 808 days 2 hours and 23 minutes ago". Him?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Feb '14 22:211 edit

13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Feb '14 22:50
    "Grampy Bobby" I relate to, Duchess64, and of course will respect
    your request not to reply directly. Thanks for your clarification.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Feb '14 23:22

15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Feb '14 01:58
    A woman should not marry a man if there is such a conflict that they can not compromise on it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree