1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    25 Oct '10 13:56
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    it is a hypothesis and remains so, unsubstantiated and non falsifiable, get over it, and it is relevant because i decided to make it relevant!
    Yet again you display your ignorance.

It can be falsified at anytime, when J B S Haldane was asked what could falsify the theory of evolution he replied

A rabbit fossil in the Pre-Cambrian.
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    25 Oct '10 13:591 edit
    well well how very convenient, lets dismiss with millions of years of solid tangible rock embedded evidence, or in your case lack of, and hey, it doesn't fit our religious texts and dogma so we shall, ermmm, just dismiss it as being irrelevant - pathetic excuse for a religion, it really is!
    I've dismissed nothing.

Merely pointing out that there is masses of evidence for evolution that doesn't come from fossils. The evidence for evolution is in our, and every other living organisms DNA.

What part of that does you and your massive ego not understand?

Now for the third time, would you kindly explain why my acceptance of evolutionary theory means i am more religious than you?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Oct '10 14:01
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Yet again you display your ignorance.

It can be falsified at anytime, when J B S Haldane was asked what could falsify the theory of evolution he replied

A rabbit fossil in the Pre-Cambrian.
    yes yes, repeat the mantras and offer up the incense, im not buying it.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Oct '10 14:072 edits
    I've dismissed nothing.

Merely pointing out that there is masses of evidence for evolution that doesn't come from fossils. The evidence for evolution is in our, and every other living organisms DNA.

What part of that does you and your massive ego not understand?

Now for the third time, would you kindly explain why my acceptance of evolutionary theory means i am more religious than you?
    you have just dismissed the entire fossil record stating that it was, how did you put it, ah yes, 'irrelevant', again i state, how vewy vewy convinient for you, and actually i always thought i was quite a humble person, and lastly i hold that your religious stance is based on the dogma, postulation built upon postulation, has personality cults and religious relics and has made a God of science, reason and logic, do you deny the charges?
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    25 Oct '10 15:34
    you have just dismissed the entire fossil record stating that it was, how did you put it, ah yes, 'irrelevant', again i state, how vewy vewy convinient for you, and actually i always thought i was quite a humble person, and lastly i hold that your religious stance is based on the dogma, postulation built upon postulation, has personality cults and religious relics and has made a God of science, reason and logic, do you deny the charges?
    Rob, it would help in this discussion if you acutally read what i posted instead of what you think i posted. Here's what i said -

If you actually knew anything about evolutionary theory, instead of just regurgitating the same old tired arguments, you would know that evolutionary theory doesn't need fossils. The evidence is written in the DNA of every living organism there is today.

I said nothing of fossils being irrelevant. I was pointing out that even if no fossil ever existed there is masses of evidence in the genetic code ie. DNA of every living organism to back it evolution.

actually i always thought i was quite a humble person.

You're even more bonkers than i thought you were already.

do you deny the charges?

I have no idea what you are blathering about, althoug i think you may need to go and check the meaning of the word dogma, and while you're at it, read up on evolutionary theory.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Oct '10 21:45
    Rob, it would help in this discussion if you acutally read what i posted instead of what you think i posted. Here's what i said -

[i]If you actually knew anything about evolutionary theory, instead of just regurgitating the same old tired arguments, you would know that evolutionary theory doesn't need fossils. The evidence is written in the DNA of eve ...[text shortened]... check the meaning of the word dogma, and while you're at it, read up on evolutionary theory.
    "The evidence is written in the DNA of every living organism there is today."

There you go again making unsubstantiated statements.

Oh, I get it. Since only the wise and wonderful super educated scientist elitists types are able to decipher the DNA, they tell us what it means and we fall into lockstep with their conclusions.

Evolution is a tool invented by the deceived to control the masses and gain power.

I feel better now!
  7. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    25 Oct '10 21:54
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"The evidence is written in the DNA of every living organism there is today."

Oh, I get it. Since only the wise and wonderful super educated scientist elitists types are able to decipher the DNA, they tell us what it means and we fall into lockstep with their conclusions.

Evolution is a tool invented by the deceived to control the masses and gain power.

I feel better now![/b]

http://www.actionbioscience.org/evolution/lenski.html

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

Read up, then come back to me.

Since only the wise and wonderful super educated scientist elitists types are able to decipher the DNA, they tell us what it means and we fall into lockstep with their conclusions.

Yep, but they publish their results and you can go and look them up and read them for yourself, if you're really clever (which you aren't) you can perform the same experiments they did. That's the point of the peer-review process. But i'm guessing you'd just rather live in ignorance?1

Lay off the drugs Joesph, if you already have, start taking them pronto!!
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Oct '10 23:45
    [b]There you go again making unsubstantiated statements.

http://www.actionbioscience.org/evolution/lenski.html

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

Read up, then come back to me.

Since only the wise and wonderful super educated scientist elitists types are able to decipher the DNA, they tel ...[text shortened]... ain power.

Lay off the drugs Joesph, if you already have, start taking them pronto!![/b]

are you saying that it has not been used as a basis for some of the worlds worst atrocities and a justification for war? enslavement and genocide?
  9. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 03:00
    hey when it happens just walk away from your computer. Go get some fresh air and sun if needed. 🙂

Manny
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 10:03

are you saying that it has not been used as a basis for some of the worlds worst atrocities and a justification for war? enslavement and genocide?
    Right, let's deal with this bizarre cherry picking view you have here once and for all, and then maybe we could have a discussion on the technicalities of evolution instead of the usual false statements and emotional drivel instead.

Firstly, i'm going to change your statement -

are you saying that the Bible has not been used as a basis for some of the worlds worst atrocities and a justification for war? enslavement and genocide?

The gate swings both ways Rob, i can see it, can you? Are you going to admit it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what twhitehead said in response to your earlier question (which i'm sure he won't mind me copying) which was along similar lines to this one, which incidentally you failed to answer. No surprise there then.

And how is that relevant? Should we bury our heads in the sand because too much knowledge is a dangerous thing? I think you will find that almost all armies since the beginning of time have used some form of mathematics or science or other learning. Do we therefore discard this learning because it has been used for nefarious purposes?

What it comes down to is this, the theory of evolution merely explains how genetic material is passed from generation to generation, how people act on that information is up to them. Like wise the Bible is merely text, how people act upon that text is up to them. It's people, us, human beings that decide what to do with that information.

Genetic information can be manipulated, that's been known for years even before people knew what a 'gene' was. Dog breeders knew that that it could be done, so did vegetable growers. It's a fact, and now we know the mechanics invloved ie genes. Because some sick, sadistic lunatic has used that information for evil purposes, what do you want us to do? 'Unlearn' everything we know about genetics? You just seem to think that if you constantly point out that some poeple have used the knowledge associated with genetics for evil purposes, somehow that tarnishes evolutionary theory. As i pointed out earlier, take a look in your own backyard 'sonny jim', the Bible has been used for no end of evil purposes also. Pot, kettle, black!!!
  11. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 11:051 edit
    Right, let's deal with this bizarre cherry picking view you have here once and for all, and then maybe we could have a discussion on the technicalities of evolution instead of the usual false statements and emotional drivel instead.

[i]are you saying that [b]the Bible
    has not been used as a basis f ', the Bible has been used for no end of evil purposes also. Pot, kettle, black!!![/b]
    [/i]Although I need to add that selective breeding doesn't actually benefit the species, so the Nazi ideology of survival of the fittest by getting rid of what they consider less desirable is a misnomer anyway.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 16:52
    Originally posted by lausey
    [/i]Although I need to add that selective breeding doesn't actually benefit the species, so the Nazi ideology of survival of the fittest by getting rid of what they consider less desirable is a misnomer anyway.
    yes but it didn't stop them trying, did it.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 16:552 edits
    Originally posted by Proper Knob[/i]

are you saying that [b]the Bible
    has not been used as a basis f ', the Bible has been used for no end of evil purposes also. Pot, kettle, black!!![/b]
    that is his most illustrious eminence sonny jim to you mate! and yes the gate swings both ways, but i shall defend with my last breath that war, exploitation and greed are opposed to the teachings of the Christ.
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 20:53
    Getting off the subject here a little, I have a question. How did this so called first living thing that started in that magical pond eons ago when all the right goodies all came together, survive? I mean the conditions no doubt were pretty rank and uncomfortable to say the least and with what artist always seems to do a rendering of when this thing became alive and was swimming in it's little world of danger with volcanos and fire and stinky gasses, etc, how would it have repaired itself if it have been damaged or hurt or bruised. I mean it seems that it probably would have no idea about such a thing as repairing or healing itself as it had never experianced anything like that. Would some evolutionary pre knowledge have known already to have a repair ability as a backup plan or would it have to learn that after the fact of being hurt somehow? Of course if it had gotten hurt it probably would have died or something.
    And I really don't want some stupid answer like "your too stupid to understand," but just a simple, clear explination so I and Robbie and Joseph and other like us can really be taught something. Here's your chance.....
  15. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 22:02

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree