1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 12:58
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I admit in reality we are both left with our faith and statements of our
    beliefs, when reality is completely revealed and truth banishes all the
    lies, we will know. If your right, who cares!?
    Kelly
    kelly, what i don't understand is how does believing in noah's flood enrich you as a person or a human being. is jesus' message any different? is that what is the bible about, science? isn't it about how one could live a good life, filled with love? how is the message of love and forgiveness enforced by a global massacre, that breaks a zillion laws of nature. not to mention that god being awesome he could have performed that act in a dozen more economical ways and more impressive than a depressing rain. and why do you hold dear the old testament where the god is portrayed like a sadistic immature jerk. and if contradictions arise between what we observe in the real world and what is written in the bible, why do you need to force the facts to fit?

science is not religion. and religion is not science.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 15:321 edit
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    we did. but there is only so long you can scream at a brick wall before you realize the wall will neither comprehend nor scream back.

so we kind of gave up. we are now trying to educate kellyjay as he is the more educated, more reasonable and more intelligent overall version of you.
    lol, like your wit the evidence must have been so scant as to go unrecognizable, and as for education and brains, i , if i may, would like to draw attention to your current chess rating, you are a measly 1474, while i am 1613, dig!
  3. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 16:22
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    lol, like your wit the evidence must have been so scant as to go unrecognizable, and as for education and brains, i , if i may, would like to draw attention to your current chess rating, you are a measly 1474, while i am 1613, dig!
    stop wasting time on this kind of nonsense.

when you finish your next game, challenge me -- I'll probably lose, but I may learn something in the process.

I'd prefer that to listening to all this superstitious drivel here.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 16:32
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    chess rating isn't a proof of intelligence. you may recognize patterns in chess, openings, sound moves. that may simply be a sign of training. i can safely say that anyone who sticks so blindly to a faith like you is at least refusing to think.

and if you think you are smarter than anyone who doesn't know chess, you just give further proof you are an idiot.
  5. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 17:05
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    I agree , tell that to the evolutionist-creationist warriors. In particular to Mr Atheist himself Richard Dawkins ... and his followers.
  6. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 17:09
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Do you also hear inexplicable gurglings as soon as your back is turned?
    I always flush it as soon as possible.....
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 17:321 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    The observation of the absence or presence of pain and suffering in the world is not an inteligent basis for considering wether or not there is a god. It is completely irrelevant and I'm surprised that it even considered as an argument by people past the age of concent! It's like saying you don't believe in evolution because of the ecruciating pain a f morality and the carnage that brings. It's not pleasant but there is a solution.
    The observation of the absence or presence of pain and suffering in the world is not an inteligent basis for considering wether or not there is a god.

It is, however, a good first step in dismissing one of the more popular god-concepts out there - the "3-O" God.

If you athiests want argue against theism then i suggest sticking to the tried and trusted "I can't see him - therefore he don't exist" argument as that is pretty safe.

I'm not so sure it's safe. Theist could point out that I believe that things like atoms, black holes, other galaxies, etc. exist even though I cannot 'see' them. [Depends on what's meant by 'see', really.]

Perhaps even attack god by claiming he is unjust with the flood and such, but that is dangerous ground as it accepts there is a god in the first place and that he/she/it is the god of the bible, so limiting from a big picture point of view.

Again, you have to knock down one god-concept at a time.

Considered the posibility - there is a god - he just hates athiests....especially you? At least that would be on more reasonable ground than - 'there is no god cos I don't like seeing the animals getting killed'.

You are still confusing an argument against a specific type of god with an argument against the existence of god in general.

The world is a tough and brutal place, read genisis with an open mind and think about what actually happened there (not the charlton heston holywood crap, but what really happened).

I think it's insane to take a book like Genesis as literal history. That's the conclusion I got when I 'read with an open mind'.

Sin is a spiritual and genetic disease resulting in spiritual and physical death, the decay of morality and the carnage that brings.

A bizarre theory, to say the least - this idea that everything just starts dying because two humans did something they weren't supposed to do.

If sin is a genetic disease - how did our DNA get changed by the mere act of eating an apple? Was it a natural phenomenon, or supernatural? If supernatural, who was responsible for effecting the change in DNA?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 17:38
    chess rating isn't a proof of intelligence. you may recognize patterns in chess, openings, sound moves. that may simply be a sign of training. i can safely say that anyone who sticks so blindly to a faith like you is at least refusing to think.

and if you think you are smarter than anyone who doesn't know chess, you just give further proof you are an idiot.
    no, chess is an intellectual pursuit, a form of self expression and an art form, you cannot deny it and what is more, i have a numerical value which states that in this discipline I am more knowledgeable, more successful, more artistic, better able to express myself, have a deeper understanding, could whup you if i wanted to etc etc it cannot possibly be a sign of training, for i am self taught! is it not ironic, that in a faculty that involves deep analysis and thinking ability, numerically you are inferior, then you have the audacity to cry idiot and imbecile! oh Zapansy i dig it dude! it may surprise you, mabye not, but it brings me great happiness to be called an idiot by you, top notch entertainment once again, i salute you, Lol!
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 17:47
    common kelly, he is a completely different god in the new testament. and doesn't he say that he doesn't change? so which of the testaments is lying?
    wouldn't you rather it be the old?
    Same God, in OT and the NT God does not change, what did change
    is our relationship with Him due to the events we set in motion, and
    God fixed.
    Kelly
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 17:57
    kelly, what i don't understand is how does believing in noah's flood enrich you as a person or a human being. is jesus' message any different? is that what is the bible about, science? isn't it about how one could live a good life, filled with love? how is the message of love and forgiveness enforced by a global massacre, that breaks a zillion laws of natur ...[text shortened]... you need to force the facts to fit?

science is not religion. and religion is not science.
    What you should glean from Noah's ark is that God does not over
    look sin, He will deal with it, either through His grace and mercy if
    you accept the offer, or you'll die in your sin and you will reap what
    you sow. What you should see is that God made away for people to
    enter the ark and they did not and they suffered the results of that
    choice. It was no different than when Adam sinned, Adam ran from
    God, and God called out for Him and God set in motion the plan to
    save mankind at least who so ever would answer God's call to His
    grace and mercy.
    Kelly
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 17:58
    Originally posted by Scriabin

when you finish your next game, challenge me -- I'll probably lose, but I may learn something in the process.

I don't believe you, if you really didn't want to listen to the drivel
    here, you wouldn't be here complaining about it.
    Kelly
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 18:231 edit
    Originally posted by Scriabin

Then please feel free to go and post elsewhere, this is after all the spirituality forum.

(spirituality = no spirituality)
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 21:381 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    act of eating an apple
    What apple?

Of course it's bizzare the idea of sin is spiritual, it's religion and you're an atheist; did you expect a quadratic equation!
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 21:45
    Originally posted by divegeester
    What apple?

Of course it's bizzare the idea of sin is spiritual, it's religion and you're an atheist; did you expect a quadratic equation!
    No, I expected an explanation of how sin is a genetic disease, which you claimed it was.

Did I just ruin a good rant by attempting discussion?
  15. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 21:51
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I don't believe you, if you really didn't want to listen to the drivel
    here, you wouldn't be here complaining about it.
    Kelly
    ah, but I'm talking to robbie, not you, twit

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree