1. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 21:52
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Then please feel free to go and post elsewhere, this is after all the spirituality forum.

(spirituality = no spirituality)
    I always feel free because I am.

I see a lot of cant here -- nothing spiritual at all.

go on, quote the scriptures now -- that'll fix it.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 22:081 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    No, I expected an explanation of how sin is a [b]genetic disease, which you claimed it was.

Did I just ruin a good rant by attempting discussion?[/b]
    you know i asked a similar question in the science forum, i wanted to know why we grow old and if, under the correct conditions its possible that the regeneration of cells could go on perpetually. you know like we cut our finger, the body produces the necessary components and we heal up. why should this not go on perpetually I was wondering, and really no one knows. i thought there was an aging gene, but it seems if there is it has not yet been mapped, therefore, as a Christian, it is well documented that the 'wages of sin', is death, that, because we are 'imperfect', we grow old, age and sadly die. unfortunately, at present i cannot explain the process, whether it is genetic or otherwise, if someone can then id be very much appreciative, but certainly, there is a correlation between our imperfect state, sin (which means imperfection) and death! sorry Swissgambit, its a bit vague!
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 22:13
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    I always feel free because I am.

I see a lot of cant here -- nothing spiritual at all.

go on, quote the scriptures now -- that'll fix it.
    Me too friend. Freedom is just a state of mind when it comes to belief wouldn't you agree. I agree that there is little or no spirituality in this forum, and quoting scripture is of little use unless you are trying to memorise them for some reason. If you saw something spiritual, would you recognise it?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 22:19
    No, I expected an explanation of how sin is a [b]genetic disease, which you claimed it was.

Did I just ruin a good rant by attempting discussion?[/b]
    Outside of biblical explainations it cannot be proven as far as I'm aware, especially by me. You would not be interested in a biblical explanation.

What apple?
  5. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    01 Apr '09 03:06
    Me too friend. Freedom is just a state of mind when it comes to belief wouldn't you agree. I agree that there is little or no spirituality in this forum, and quoting scripture is of little use unless you are trying to memorise them for some reason. If you saw something spiritual, would you recognise it?
    well, yes, rather.

I consider the Dharma talks given by my Buddhist teacher more deeply spiritual than anything I've previously experienced.

The training in Insight Meditation has been more useful than all the therapy I sought after my son shot himself in 2007.

The ability to distinguish clearly between that which is happening, that which is the case, and that which exists only as thought between our ears, has been the key to opening into a greater connection with life and others than the insane insistence on irrational beliefs and dead scrolls ever offered.

No doctrines, no dogmas, nothing but a focus on the qualities that make for a life free from nameless fear, angst, ennui, terror and tragedy.

And no rituals -- no special clothing, no kneeling before some graven image, nothing supernatural, nothing violent or oppressive to others.

Belief is, in itself, something that others use to restrict my freedom if I allow it.

I don't.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Apr '09 04:47
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you know i asked a similar question in the science forum, i wanted to know why we grow old and if, under the correct conditions its possible that the regeneration of cells could go on perpetually. you know like we cut our finger, the body produces the necessary components and we heal up. why should this not go on perpetually I was wondering, and re ...[text shortened]... erfect state, sin (which means imperfection) and death! sorry Swissgambit, its a bit vague!
    I appreciate the candor. I wonder why some theists make claims like "sin is a genetic disease", even though they must know they have no scientific evidence for it. They'd be wiser to take your tack and admit they don't know all the details.
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Apr '09 04:49
    Outside of biblical explainations it cannot be proven as far as I'm aware, especially by me. You would not be interested in a biblical explanation.

What apple?
    I would be interested in the part of the bible that claims sin is a genetic disease. That's a very specific claim.

Why do you keep asking me about the apple? You know which one it is.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Apr '09 07:301 edit
    I would be interested in the part of the bible that claims sin is a [b]genetic disease. That's a very specific claim.

Why do you keep asking me about the apple? You know which one it is.[/b]
    My apologies if i appeared obtuse it was not my intention.

It is not a specific claim as "genetics" is not mentioned in the bible; I was making an assumption based on biblical explaination of the fall of man and the introduction of death to the human race, which (death) science knows now is now linked to programed cell death (apotosis), which is genetically controlled.

The apple reference was a small point that "apple" is not mentioned in the genesis account linked to a deeper point that the bible talks of "the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil" - this is not an actual fruit (imo) and certainly not an apple. My point being that there is a lot of symbolism in these old texts but i believe they represent actual occurances that still affect us today.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Apr '09 07:42
    well, yes, rather.

I consider the Dharma talks given by my Buddhist teacher more deeply spiritual than anything I've previously experienced.

The training in Insight Meditation has been more useful than all the therapy I sought after my son shot himself in 2007.

The ability to distinguish clearly between that which is happening, that which is the ca ...[text shortened]... ief is, in itself, something that others use to restrict my freedom if I allow it.

I don't.
    Thank you for sharing that, I'm so sorry to hear about your son. That tragedy puts perpestive on this debate and life generally for that matter.

I thought you were anti spiritual beliefs from reading your post earlier, although I could tell from previous threads that you thought deeply about things. Although I hold a christian belief i am not part of any demonination or belief system as I loath organised religion. I do try to hold to the biblical teachings however as I believe they are life. I'd be interested in hearing more about your beliefs at some point.
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '09 07:46
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    no, chess is an intellectual pursuit, a form of self expression and an art form, you cannot deny it and what is more, i have a numerical value which states that in this discipline I am more knowledgeable, more successful, more artistic, better able to express myself, have a deeper understanding, could whup you if i wanted to etc etc it cannot possi ...[text shortened]... t happiness to be called an idiot by you, top notch entertainment once again, i salute you, Lol!
    if it makes you feel better about your brain-washed idiotic intellect, sure o moronic one. you are superior.
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '09 07:54
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Same God, in OT and the NT God does not change, what did change
    is our relationship with Him due to the events we set in motion, and
    God fixed.
    Kelly
    don't you find this a bit forcing facts to suit your needs? a need to have god unchangeable? at least the event of creation changed him: he was perfectly ok for the first portion of eternity all alone then the changed and created us monkeys.

and what did it change? in the new testament we are the same murderous jerks, little more than monkeys. yet god decides that we should be given an example of love, compassion and self-sacrifice, J. no more fire and brimstone, no more plagues, no more "thou shall kill the adulteress woman with big freakin rocks". do you not view this as change? he told his son to give a new message, different from the old testament. why can't you see this as change?

or make me understand. what was our relationship with god prior to the new testament, what did we set in motion, and why did god fixed the stupid things we did in a manner totally different from how he did things in the old testament?
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '09 08:03
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    What you should glean from Noah's ark is that God does not over
    look sin, He will deal with it, either through His grace and mercy if
    you accept the offer, or you'll die in your sin and you will reap what
    you sow. What you should see is that God made away for people to
    enter the ark and they did not and they suffered the results of that
    choice. It was ...[text shortened]... to
    save mankind at least who so ever would answer God's call to His
    grace and mercy.
    Kelly
    AHA! so you glean the possibility that noah's ark may be just a message. a metaphor. it didn't rain for 40 days, god invented a story to make the stupid humans realize he can save those that are righteous. that he will not let mankind die. that he will punish the wicked(well at least until he stopped given a damn pardon the pun and told us to take care of our own wicked)

you might be making progress.

yes, now that you admitted the possibility (i hope you did) of noah's ark being simply a moral story, do you think its moral, as extreme as they may be, could be absorbed by us hummies without the need to have this story true? and as such could we view any facts contradicting this story in an objective manner and not feeling the need to bend many scientific laws to make a story true, a story that doesn't need to be true for the message to be heard.
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '09 08:10
    ah, but I'm talking to robbie, not you, twit
    be careful when talking to the robbie. he has the sith power of annoying the hell out of you.

if the force is not strong in you or if your blood pressure is high, you should avoid this activity.
  14. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    01 Apr '09 11:281 edit
    na
  15. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    01 Apr '09 11:32
    Originally posted by jaywill
    I just browsed through a book that I want to return to buy. It is called Darwin Fights Back.

It is a chronological review of all the moves in the last some years that Darwinists have made to fight off the onslaught of ID.

It is a play by play exposure of the propoganda activities of, especially in trying to convince the public that ID is not science an ...[text shortened]... o the 21 century.

God is secure. It is Atheistic Darwinists who are fighting for their lives.
    By onslaught you mean of course gentle, almost imperceptible whisper?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree