1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Aug '18 10:37
    Originally posted by @fmf
    I disagree. I am an atheist and I understand your God [and other people's Gods too], I also understand Santa Clause, and I understand both theism [including what Christians believe] and I understand atheism. Also, I understand what dogs are.
    Understanding includes empathy.

You cannot 'understand' God, because you do not believe God exists. Your 'understanding' is superficial and hollow. You cannot sense God. You cannot feel him. You cannot hear him. You cannot love him. You cannot understand him.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '18 10:391 edit
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    You cannot 'understand' God, because you do not believe God exists.
    I understand Christians and Christianity well.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '18 10:41
    You cannot sense God. You cannot feel him. You cannot hear him. You cannot love him. You cannot understand him.
    I understand perfectly well what Christians feel about "God". I also understand perfectly well what you are claiming about dogs and atheists.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Aug '18 10:46
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    'An oft beat dog with turn on its master.'

I love dogs, but this 'unconditional love thing' is a whimsical myth.
    Just because dogs can understand and feel unconditional love does not mean that they always do. Just because you have unconditional love for your wife, does this mean that you have this same love for your grocer? No, of course not.

Many dogs are abandoned by their owners. They do not understand why. They still love their owners and would come back to them, and in some cases, travel hundreds of miles back to owners who just left them somewhere to die. Yes, intense trauma can turn a dog away from loving its owner, and in some cases this changes a dog forever. But these are extraordinary circumstances.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Aug '18 10:47
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Love is so close to hate on the emotional spectrum
    This is a time-worn cliche that has practically no truth to it.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Aug '18 10:47
    I understand Christians and Christianity well.
    Judging from your posts on this forum, apparently not.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Aug '18 10:48
    I understand perfectly well what Christians feel about "God". I also understand perfectly well what you are claiming about dogs and atheists.
    If you say so.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '18 10:551 edit
    FMF: I understand Christians and Christianity well.

[b]Judging from your posts on this forum, apparently not.
    Well, I am an agnostic atheist. But I was a Christian for a long time. I would have found you a rather ludicrous fellow Christian even when I was one. So my posts here - even if I were still a Christian - would probably rub you up the wrong way and render you incapable of discussing anything properly or - indeed - representing your religion on a non-Christian forum in a reasonable way.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '18 10:57
    Originally posted by @divegeester to Christians
    Love is so close to hate on the emotional spectrum
    And - apparently - according to Suzianne - dogs and Christians are closer to each other on the spiritual spectrum than atheists.
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 Aug '18 13:45
    Well, I am an agnostic atheist. But I was a Christian for a long time. I would have found you a rather ludicrous fellow Christian even when I was one. So my posts here - even if I were still a Christian - would probably rub you up the wrong way and render you incapable of discussing anything properly or - indeed - representing your religion on a non-Christian forum in a reasonable way.
    And yet you have no idea what the gospel meant to you when you were a Christian or you are incapable of articulating it.
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    03 Aug '18 14:06
    Just because dogs can understand and feel unconditional love does not mean that they always do. Just because you have unconditional love for your wife, does this mean that you have this same love for your grocer? No, of course not.

Many dogs are abandoned by their owners. They do not understand why. They still love their owners and would come back t ...[text shortened]... owner, and in some cases this changes a dog forever. But these are extraordinary circumstances.
    Dogs do indeed exhibit loyalty. This is not the same as unconditional love.

Ironically (despite being an atheist) I have unconditional love for my 16-year-old dog. I don't however believe such a love is reciprocated by him.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 03:55
    This is a time-worn cliche that has practically no truth to it.
    Agreed, it was the humour in it I was aiming at.
  13. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    10 Aug '18 16:53
    Serious (theological) question.

All thoughts, scriptures, rational, literalisms and metaphors welcome.
    Some do, and some don't. I don't believe they need wings for flying though.

Interestingly enough I had never considered why they have wings at all before just now.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Aug '18 12:422 edits
    Originally posted by @secondson
    Some do, and some don't. I don't believe they need wings for flying though.

Interestingly enough I had never considered why they have wings at all before just now.
    Presumably, people thought they must have wings if they are always flying 'up' to Heaven and back 'down' to earth in the course of their duties.

"I mean, seriously, how could they do that without wings?" 😕

And so much so that we are programmed now to understand that a human-looking person with wings in paintings must be a depiction of an angel.

I think it's more likely that they are multi-dimensional beings traveling through dimensions.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Aug '18 21:14
    Serious (theological) question.

All thoughts, scriptures, rational, literalisms and metaphors welcome.
    Three thumbs down, interesting.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree