do animals go to heaven?

do animals go to heaven?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

penguinpuffin

finsbury

Moves
04 Oct 05

Originally posted by dj2becker
What makes you think that it will be the same dog?
just hypothetically. say i ran into the same dog and recognised it.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
04 Oct 05

Originally posted by telerion
Perhaps you should pay closer attention to the Doctor's fine work in this thread. He has opened new frontiers in the cosmological argument.

The profundity of the Doctor's revelations can be very hard to grasp, so let me help you along a bit by offering just one of many possible alternative solutions.

"A greater God created your god and this gre ...[text shortened]... ind a cause for this cause. And then another for this new cause. Continue ad infinitum.
I don't deserve all the credit. I stood on the shoulders of giants. It was bbarr's spark of genius in postulating a more powerful God that created God that enabled my work.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
04 Oct 05

Which ever way you look at it you require an element of faith.

As far as where you stop the God-chain, yes, you are right.

Faith in my God is supported by divine revelation in the Bible.

This is all well and good except that by declaring the Bible to be "divine revelation" you have eviscerated the worth of your argument.

This is basically what you have.

Claim: Faith in God is justified because the Bible reveals God.

Support: The Bible is sufficient evidence for faith in God because it is the "divine revelation" of God.

See the problem?

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
04 Oct 05
1 edit

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Except that, in the usual form of the Cosmological (?) argument, God is the First Cause - that Cause which is, itself, uncaused.

Since, by definition, the first Cause is uncaused, it makes no sense to ask, "Who caused the First Cause?" That's really the same as asking "Which natural number is smaller than 1?" or "How many sides does a circle have?"
Except that such a supposition immediately destroys the first statement of that cosmological argument which is that everything that exists has a cause. Unless you want to claim that God does not exist.

I know that there are better formulations of the argument (e.g. Kalaam's or Contingency). Try not to exert to much energy analyzing that post. The jocular component is intended to dominate the philosophical.

Actually the Cosmological Argument is pretty silly.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
04 Oct 05

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
I don't deserve all the credit. I stood on the shoulders of giants. It was bbarr's spark of genius in postulating a more powerful God that created God that enabled my work.
Compelling evidence for the efficacy of reason!

Moves
04 Oct 05
1 edit

Except that such a supposition immediately destroys the first statement of that cosmological argument which is that everything that exists has a cause. Unless you want to claim that God does not exist.

I know that there are better formulations of the argument (e.g. Kalaam's or Contingency). Try not to exert to much energy analyzing that post. The joc ...[text shortened]... s intended to dominate the philosophical.

You have it all wrong. Not everything that exists is eternal. Some things are 'eternal' and thus by definition do not require a cause, because they have no beginning and no end. i.e. God. However the things that are not eternal and exist, e.g. plants and animals, the universe, etc. do have a beginning and thus require a cause.

Moves
04 Oct 05

Originally posted by murrow
just hypothetically. say i ran into the same dog and recognised it.
I believe that God is going to create a new heaven and a new earth and there will be no more sorrow, pain or grief. I thus don't think that you will run into the same dog because that would invoke some grief in you.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Oct 05

Originally posted by The Chess Express
I can't believe it. Are you actually going against a traditional Christian view that is held by the church? 😲
I didn't know that!....😕

TCE

Colorado

Moves
04 Oct 05

Originally posted by checkbaiter
I didn't know that!....😕
Ok, 50 hail marrys 😀

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
04 Oct 05

You have it all wrong. Not everything that exists is eternal. Some things are 'eternal' and thus by definition do not require a cause, because they have no beginning and no end. i.e. God. However the things that are not eternal and exist, e.g. plants and animals, the universe, etc. do have a beginning and thus require a cause.
And, once again, the atheist can claim that the universe is eternal. If the theist wants to reject the principle of sufficient reason, fine. The atheist can do that as well. The point, obviously, is that the positing of an eternal X doesn't bear any justificatory relation to the claim that God exists.

l

London

Moves
04 Oct 05

I know that there are better formulations of the argument (e.g. Kalaam's or Contingency). Try not to exert to much energy analyzing that post. The joc ...[text shortened]... s intended to dominate the philosophical.

Could you elaborate?

l

London

Moves
04 Oct 05

Originally posted by bbarr
And, once again, the atheist can claim that the universe is eternal. If the theist wants to reject the principle of sufficient reason, fine. The atheist can do that as well. The point, obviously, is that the positing of an eternal X doesn't bear any justificatory relation to the claim that God exists.
And, once again, the atheist can claim that the universe is eternal.

Naturally, such a claim can be opposed on scientific and philosophical grounds.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
04 Oct 05
1 edit

Originally posted by lucifershammer
[b]And, once again, the atheist can claim that the universe is eternal.

Naturally, such a claim can be opposed on scientific and philosophical grounds.[/b]
First, science has absolutely nothing to say about whether the universe is eternal. Science can trace back the expansion of the universe to some point subsequent to the big bang, but there are no scientific grounds for thinking that prior to the big bang there was literally nothing at all. A point singularity is something, not nothing, and hence any cosmology according to which everything came from a point singularity is literally contradictory.

Second, although you are correct that the claim that something is eternal can be challenged on philosophical grounds, whatever these grounds are they will apply equally to the theist.

Third, my point is not that there is anything that is eternal, but that the atheist can claim with just as much reason as the theist that there is something eternal. That is, the cosmological argument does not support theism in favor of atheism. If (and this is a big 'if'😉 the Cosmological argument can be made to show that something or other is eternal, or the first cause, or uncaused, or whatever, then this "prime mover" could just as well be the universe itself and not God.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
05 Oct 05

Originally posted by The Chess Express
Ok, 50 hail marrys 😀
I don't worship nor pray to Mary.😛

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
05 Oct 05

That's why I said "that" cosmological argument. You can't deny the claim. It's in the first line! Whether it's a believable statement or not is neither here nor there (I even point out that there are other augmented versions of the original argument that do in fact change this very claim.). Within the context of the particular cosmological argument in my post, claiming that God is uncaused, necessarily implies that either:
1) God does not exist.
2) Not everything that exists is caused (Violating the first premise.)

As far as what is or is not eternal, personally, I think you're talking out your a$$.