1. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 02:34
    Originally posted by Vladamir no1
    I hope this definition makes sense. To those of you who were genuine with your interest but were confused I apologise and hope this defintion clears things up. As for you 'others' who trawl this forum to pedantically nay anally pick apart any statement or word that you 'think' will allow you to have fun, grow up and stick to the general forum.

It's ...[text shortened]... ontology wins, all we have that's intrinsic is primal urges, the need to procreate etc.
    So all you've been asking is whether we come hardwired with a moral sense or, rather, are habituated to a moral sense? Eep, a little jargon is a dangerous thing.

Note to dottewell: You're right about the bastardization of Heidegger.
  2. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 07:451 edit
    Originally posted by bbarr
    I knew it! And people say I wasted five years of my life!

Well, mother and father, who's laughing NOW?
  3. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 17:421 edit
    So all you've been asking is whether we come hardwired with a moral sense or, rather, are habituated to a moral sense? Eep, a little jargon is a dangerous thing.

If it is, it is an unintentional one....of course I know of Martin Heidegger but I've yet to read him! I guess great minds think alike...Looks like this criticism of me has turned out to be a compliment! thanks guys 🙂

P.S In what piece does Heidegger discuss this topic?
  4. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 17:461 edit

A little jargon as you put it is in reality a short an easy quicker way to say 'historical materialism' for example than to express what it means....Ergo the use of 'ontological priority' as a quick an easy way to express a concept, its not my fault if you guys haven't heard of it, its quite a common academic term, honest guv 🙂
  5. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 23:48
    If it is, it is an unintentional one....of course I know of Martin Heidegger but I've yet to read him! I guess great minds think alike...Looks like this criticism of me has turned out to be a compliment! thanks guys 🙂

P.S In what piece does Heidegger discuss this topic?
    Being and Time.
  6. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 23:52
    A little jargon as you put it is in reality a short an easy quicker way to say 'historical materialism' for example than to express what it means....Ergo the use of 'ontological priority' as a quick an easy way to express a concept, its not my fault if you guys haven't heard of it, its quite a common academic term, honest guv 🙂
    Sure, jargon can be helpful. The problem is that you don't understand Heidegger's notion of 'ontological priority'. If you did, you'd realize that it has nothing to do with your question, which concerns the extent to which moral sensibilities are innate.
  7. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '06 08:47
    Sure, jargon can be helpful. The problem is that you don't understand Heidegger's notion of 'ontological priority'. If you did, you'd realize that it has nothing to do with your question, which concerns the extent to which moral sensibilities are innate.
    But your statement is (with due respect) irrelevant..........This thread/statement/question was not about Heidegger's conceptualisation of ontological priority but more a generic conception of it....

P.S Thanks for the info...Being and time...I'll check it out when I have time (iF YOU'LL EXCUSE THE PUN) 🙂
  8. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    22 Apr '06 10:001 edit
    But your statement is (with due respect) irrelevant..........This thread/statement/question was not about Heidegger's conceptualisation of ontological priority but more a generic conception of it....

P.S Thanks for the info...Being and time...I'll check it out when I have time (iF YOU'LL EXCUSE THE PUN) 🙂
    O.K., great. So, you're not using the phrase as Heidegger used it. Rather, you're using it in a more generic sense. You're certainly not using it any analytic sense, and you're not using it in any continental sense with which I'm familiar. Yet you claim that the notion you're using is ubiquitous in academic circles. So, where did you originally encounter the term?
  9. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '06 10:292 edits
    O.K., great. So, you're not using the phrase as Heidegger used it. Rather, you're using it in a more generic sense. You're certainly not using it any analytic sense, and you're not using it in any continental sense with which I'm familiar. Yet you claim that the notion you're using is ubiquitous in academic circles. So, where did you originally encounter the term?
    The theory of 'gender', for example gender and ethnicity/race are cultural/social structures layered upon an ontological priority.
  10. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '06 12:431 edit
    The theory of 'gender', for example gender and ethnicity/race are cultural/social structures layered upon an ontological priority.
    So you were asking if morality is a cultural construct or "intrinsic"?
  11. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '06 15:273 edits
    Originally posted by dottewell
    So you were asking if morality is a cultural construct or "intrinsic"?
    Yep
  12. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '06 15:33
    bbar??
  13. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    22 Apr '06 16:47
    The proper term in gender theory for this claim is 'social constructionism'. Can you cite me one peer-reviewed academic journal that uses the term 'ontological priority' in the way you're using it?
  14. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    22 Apr '06 17:09
    Can you cite me one peer-reviewed academic journal that uses the term 'ontological priority' in the way you're using it?
    … and that's where Vlad makes a mysterious disappearance.
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    22 Apr '06 17:21
    The proper term in gender theory for this claim is 'social constructionism'. Can you cite me one peer-reviewed academic journal that uses the term 'ontological priority' in the way you're using it?
    Just a sec. I've been using this forum as proof of peer review for all my other blogs on the net. No good?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree