1. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 11:04
    Do we have ontological priority or do we possess an intrisic morality....
    personally I think ontology wins, all we have that's intrinsic is primal urges, the need to procreate etc. Other than that we're a tabla rasa...
  2. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 11:551 edit
    Originally posted by Vladamir no1
    personally I think ontology wins, all we have that's intrinsic is primal urges, the need to procreate etc. Other than that we're a tabla rasa...
    What on earth do you mean by "ontological priority" and "ontology wins"? Please don't just cut and paste something on existentialism from Wikipedia or elsewhere. I want you to explain it yourself.
  3. London
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 16:51
    What the f...?!
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 17:04
    You didn't happen to mean tabula rasa, now didja?
  5. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 17:52
    Originally posted by dottewell
    What on earth do you mean by "ontological priority" and "ontology wins"? Please don't just cut and paste something on existentialism from Wikipedia or elsewhere. I want you to explain it yourself.
    Its not cut and pasted, well from my brain it is....You shouldn't judge others by your lack of knowledge....i think Wittgeinstein once said, 'If you dont know, be quiet'....Good advice
  6. London
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 18:00
    Its not cut and pasted, well from my brain it is....You shouldn't judge others by your lack of knowledge....i think Wittgeinstein once said, 'If you dont know, be quiet'....Good advice
    "Whereof one cannot speak; thereof one must be silent".

I don't think Wittgenstein was talking about knowledge.
  7. The sky
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 18:01
    Don't worry, nobody would have mistaken it for a copy and paste from Wikipedia. Dottewell was asking for a non-copy-and-paste explanation of what you mean by it.
  8. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 18:03
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Don't worry, nobody would have mistaken it for a copy and paste from Wikipedia. Dottewell was asking for a non-copy-and-paste explanation of what you mean by it.
    Ontological priority, ie we are not born gendered or possessing intrisic values such as instinctively knowing not to kill etc etc etc
  9. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 18:08
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    "Whereof one cannot speak; thereof one must be silent".

I don't think Wittgenstein was talking about knowledge.
    Then what was he speaking about???
  10. London
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 18:151 edit
    IIRC, he was simply speaking of the inability of language to express certain realities (e.g. the mataphysical or mystical) and therefore asking the reader not to attempt to make the ineffable, well ... 'effable' (as a certain regular on this forum might put it).
  11. London
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 18:16
    Ontological priority, ie we are not born gendered or possessing intrisic values such as instinctively knowing not to kill etc etc etc
    We are not born "gendered"?
  12. The sky
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 18:16
    Things which cannot be expressed clearly in words. In the introduction to the Tractatus, that sentence is preceded by this one: "Was sich überhaupt sagen läßt, läßt sich klar sagen;", i.e. "what can be said at all, can be said clearly".
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 18:17
    I was. 'Been a male ever since.
  14. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 18:191 edit
    You're making me work today, its funny how u understand Wittgeinstein but not this, oh well i'll give you the benefit of doubt...

Not born gendered, ie: We have no male or female traits (bar physical ones), some say we are all adrogenous as well and its only culture that moulds and conforms us to the apparent norms of hetrosexuality.........
  15. London
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 18:20
    You're making me work today, its funny how u understand Wittgeinstein but not this, oh well i'll give you the benefit of doubt...

Not born gendered, ie: We have no male or female traits (bar physical ones), some say we are all adrogenous as well and its only culture that moulds and conforms us to the apparent norms of hetrosexuality.........
    Women Who Make the World Worse

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree