1. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 00:391 edit
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    WTF does assigning a priority to the metaphysical study of the nature of being and existence have to do with you still having a blank slate for a brain?
    I still think "ontological priority" may be a piece of jargon his is misusing from Heidegger, but I don't know. I studied philosophy in English universities, and maybe things are different where he is.

I think the question, taken as a whole, has quite a lot to do with his blank-slate brain.
  2. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 01:05
    Originally posted by dottewell
    I still think "ontological priority" may be a piece of jargon his is misusing from Heidegger, but I don't know. I studied philosophy in English universities, and maybe things are different where he is.

I think the question, taken as a whole, has quite a lot to do with his blank-slate brain.
    Maybe, but words have meanings and idiomatic phrases that aren't readily deciphered are useless.

"He who knows doesn't speak and he who speaks doesn't know"
  3. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 09:13
    Maybe, but words have meanings and idiomatic phrases that aren't readily deciphered are useless.

Couldn't agree more - particularly since he has refused repeated requests to clarify.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 13:25
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Couldn't agree more - particularly since he has refused repeated requests to clarify.
    His subscription to scholarlysoundingwords.com ran out. He'll be back.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '04
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 17:192 edits

Silence is a source of great strength - Lao Tzu

🙂 gil
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 04:481 edit
    My impression is that he's asking "nature or nurture?" with respect to morality. Ontological Priority would be his term for "nurture", while "intrinsic morality" would be his term for "nature" - with respect to how we develop moral beliefs as well as personality traits that are present more in one gender than the other.

At least I think that's what he meant.

Why can't people learn to communicate more clearly?
  7. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 09:16

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 09:281 edit
    Originally posted by Vladamir no1
    Do we have ontological priority or do we possess an intrisic morality....
    personally I think ontology wins, all we have that's intrinsic is primal urges, the need to procreate etc. Other than that we're a tabla rasa...
    I hope this definition makes sense. To those of you who were genuine with your interest but were confused I apologise and hope this defintion clears things up. As for you 'others' who trawl this forum to pedantically nay anally pick apart any statement or word that you 'think' will allow you to have fun, grow up and stick to the general forum.

It's quite simple (much like dottewell)

Ontological priority = The priority of 'being', there are no intrinsic possessions, we are if you like a tabla rasa
    Intrinsic morality = Intrinsic morals such as knowing not to kill etc etc

Do we have ontological priority or do we possess an intrisic morality....
    personally I think ontology wins, all we have that's intrinsic is primal urges, the need to procreate etc.
  9. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 10:42
    I hope this definition makes sense. To those of you who were genuine with your interest but were confused I apologise and hope this defintion clears things up. As for you 'others' who trawl this forum to pedantically nay anally pick apart any statement or word that you 'think' will allow you to have fun, grow up and stick to the general forum.

It's ...[text shortened]... ontology wins, all we have that's intrinsic is primal urges, the need to procreate etc.
    That a very interesting definition of "ontological priority".
  10. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 15:55

It's ...[text shortened]... ontology wins, all we have that's intrinsic is primal urges, the need to procreate etc.
    So can we get some view in this now ??
  11. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 15:55

So can we get some views on this now ??
  12. London
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 15:59

What makes you think the priority of being rules out "intrinsic possessions" (what I'll take to be essential attributes or properties)?
  13. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 16:02
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    What makes you think the priority of being rules out "intrinsic possessions" (what I'll take to be essential attributes or properties)?
    Because I don't believe we have anything intrinsic other than the will to survive, procreate and be aggressive if needs be . Mother natures survival pack...Everyth ing else is what culture has embodied us with , therefore it is not intrinsic
  14. London
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 16:11
    Because I don't believe we have anything intrinsic other than the will to survive, procreate and be aggressive if needs be . Mother natures survival pack...Everyth ing else is what culture has embodied us with , therefore it is not intrinsic
    But even animals show what is recognisably compassion, kindness, some kind of an ethical code etc.
  15. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 16:151 edit
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    But even animals show what is recognisably compassion, kindness, some kind of an ethical code etc.
    they show love for their young (again a necessary intinsic possession for the species survival) but what else? What ethic code? Survival of the fittest? animals with an ethical code??!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree