Do you have relatives in hell?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
29 Sep 05

Many evangelists here say that you must do this and you must do that, such as saying the Sinners Prayer or having a personal relationship with Jesus, in order to avoid hell.

My question to them is, Have all of your relatives done those things, or do you have relatives who are burning in eternal torment?

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
29 Sep 05

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Many evangelists here say that you must do this and you must do that, such as saying the Sinners Prayer or having a personal relationship with Jesus, in order to avoid hell.

My question to them is, Have all of your relatives done those things, or do you have relatives who are burning in eternal torment?
I wonder if Lucy is burning.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
29 Sep 05

I have a question and I apologize if this gets away from your thread.
Does not fire require a combustion that consumes matter? So how can there be "eternal" torment unless hell defies reality.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
29 Sep 05

Originally posted by kirksey957
I have a question and I apologize if this gets away from your thread.
Does not fire require a combustion that consumes matter? So how can there be "eternal" torment unless hell defies reality.
Reverend, your observation is correct, which is to say, in accord with the Catholic Encyclopedia.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07207a.htm

From Section VI:

"It is quite superfluous to add that the nature of hell-fire is different from that of our ordinary fire; for instance, it continues to burn without the need of a continually renewed supply of fuel. How are we to form a conception of that fire in detail remains quite undetermined; we merely know that it is corporeal. The demons suffer the torment of fire, even when, by Divine permission, they leave the confines of hell and roam about on earth. In what manner this happens is uncertain. We may assume that they remain fettered inseparably to a portion of that fire."

l

Moves
29 Sep 05

Originally posted by kirksey957
hell defies reality.

l

Moves
29 Sep 05

Reverend, your observation is correct, which is to say, in accord with the Catholic Encyclopedia.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07207a.htm

From Section VI:

"It is quite superfluous to add that the nature of hell-fire is different from that of our ordinary fire; for instance, it continues to burn without the need of a continually renewed s ...[text shortened]... s is uncertain. We may assume that they remain fettered inseparably to a portion of that fire."
cut to the chase...

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
29 Sep 05

Originally posted by lioyank
cut to the chase...

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
29 Sep 05

My question to them is, do you have relatives who are burning in eternal torment?
Yes. Probably.

Gosh, that was easy. Give us a hard one.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
29 Sep 05

Originally posted by orfeo
Yes. Probably.

Gosh, that was easy. Give us a hard one.
Tell us about them, how they were on earth, and how you suppose they are suffering now.

l

Moves
29 Sep 05

If one exists, and it exists as the RCC describes it, then maybe. I say maybe because I do not know many of the private lives of my relatives. My best guess would be that they probably would be in purgatory (from the knowledge I DO know about them), and possibly some of them in hell. Not many would make a non-stop flight to heaven. Not many people in general die "sinless". Of course, this is all in the "if" category.

l

Moves
29 Sep 05

Tell us about them, how they were on earth, and how you suppose they are suffering now.
Why don't you tell us about your relatives first? Seeing as you brought this up in the first place. Don't forget to be specific. Give names and intricate details about their lives.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
29 Sep 05

Originally posted by lioyank
Why don't you tell us about your relatives first? Seeing as you brought this up in the first place. Don't forget to be specific. Give names and intricate details about their lives.
I don't believe that I have any relatives burning in eternal torment.

l

Moves
29 Sep 05

I don't believe that I have any relatives burning in eternal torment.
But I thought we were playing the "if" game? Or was I the only one playing? In any case, can't you at least pretend?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
29 Sep 05

You were the only one playing. I never introduced any hypotheticals.

JF
Troubador

Land of Fist

Moves
29 Sep 05

Well I believe by definition I have a very close relative burning in Hell. I didn't know this person that long but basically I think they were emotionally disturbed and insane. This person was racist and rather childish and not a very good role model. I guess the evangelists would say "Well this person had it coming." Do you want specifics?