1. Cosmos
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 16:25
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Have you ever read any of Ian M Banks Culture novels?
    They feature a society that functions which is effectively a democratic communist anarchy. It works only because of the amazing automation (they have VERY sophisticated AI) and (due to the fact they are space faring, and have FTL travel (well I did say it was fictional)) they have almost unlimited re ...[text shortened]... otes on the society written by the author.

http://www.vavatch.co.uk/books/banks/cultnote.htm
    I have read them all, and they are very interesting indeed.

I did not realise they are democratic - he never mentions elections.
    Also, don't forget that the culture spreads to other planets via a subtle coercion possible only through using the superior AI to effectively subjugate the 'heathens'.

"Player of games" is still one of my all time favourite books.
    Great stuff.
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 16:41
    Originally posted by howardgee
    I have read them all, and they are very interesting indeed.

Also, don't forget that the culture spreads to other planets via a subtle coercion possible only through using the superior AI to effectively subjugate the 'heathens'.

"Player of games" is still one of my all time favourite books.
    Great stuff.
    they vote on indevidual issues that arise (ie true democracy) and individual orbitals/ships have elected representitives, more for a point of contact for visiting ailiens than anything else. the local mind deals with most issues (read 'Look to windward' for the references.
    also the culture doesn't spread to other planets, they build their own worlds in usually uninhabited star systems. they do alter other civilaisations (usually much less sofisticated) if they feel that they are overly abusing members of that civilisation or are harming/enslaving other civilisations in the surrounding area. not to make them like the culture but to make them less (as they would put it) barbaric.
    And yes the player of games is a great read, although I prefer 'Use of Weapons'
  3. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 09:28
    I'm a bit amused that even in his very own thread on a public forum God can't be the center of conversation. 😵
  4. Cosmos
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 11:44
    they vote on indevidual issues that arise (ie true democracy) and individual orbitals/ships have elected representitives, more for a point of contact for visiting ailiens than anything else. the local mind deals with most issues (read 'Look to windward' for the references.
    also the culture doesn't spread to other planets, they build their own worlds in ...[text shortened]... barbaric.
    And yes the player of games is a great read, although I prefer 'Use of Weapons'
    I cannot remember them voting on issues - can you give me an example? (Not that I don't believe you, just want my memory jogged!)

I do remember an excellent fight from Use of Weapons, I must read it again.

Of Iain Banks' non-sci-fi I reckon "Complicity" is the best. What do you reckon?
  5. Corner Brook NFLD CA
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 11:52
    You guys should shut yer pantyhoes before God, (not the one on this website, but the real one) sends a lightning bolt up them.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 16:211 edit
    Originally posted by LinkHyrule
    You guys should shut yer pantyhoes before God, (not the one on this website, but the real one) sends a lightning bolt up them.
    I wasn't aware that god's pantyhoes were open...
    Don't lightning bolts generaly come down from above? and If I don't wear pantyhoes does that exempt me? given the precisely zero verifyed cases of anyone letalone a non existant deity sending lightning up anyones pantyhoes (or any other item of apparel for that matter) I have to say your threat/warning whatever lacks a certain punch. in light of this it will be completly disregarded. also just in case your anatomy is as mixed up as your reasoning, I have yet to meet the person who talks through their panthoes, the mouth is usually situated rather higher up.
  7. Eternity
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 17:09
    Originally posted by stocken
    I'm a bit amused that even in his very own thread on a public forum God can't be the center of conversation. 😵
    GE-ZAH!
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 17:10
    Originally posted by God
    GE-ZAH!
    ah good you're back. Do you wear pantyhoes?
  9. Eternity
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 18:35
    ah good you're back. Do you wear pantyhoes?
    no? - zi-gah!
  10. Eternity
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 18:35
    Originally posted by LinkHyrule
    there's another one? - ga-kah!
  11. Cosmos
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 22:55
    Originally posted by God
    there's another one? - ga-kah!
    What, pray tell, do all these strange noises signify?

(ga-kah, GE-ZAH, etc.)

God; are you a retard, or an epileptic or such like?
  12. Eternity
    Moves
    07 Jul '06 09:06
    What, pray tell, do all these strange noises signify?
    there is a pattern - gi-bah!
  13. Joined
    28 Sep '05
    Moves
    07 Jul '06 13:12
    If you want to read something that is really from God, I urge you to go read this: http://www.fathersloveletter.com/flltextenglish.html
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Jul '06 13:40
    It is my belief that most current systems of democracy where there is a heavy focus on elections and less focus on issues are actually rather undemocratic. In Africa this is even more pronounced where it is common for a president, when faced with oposition from the people on an issue, to proclaim 'I have the mandate so I can do what I want'.
    In many first world countries presidents/prime ministers are voted into office, in Africa they are normally voted into power.
    A system where all the leaders are employed in a business fashion ie with interviews qualifications etc and every major decision is decided on by a combination of commities and voting would be far more democratic. However I dont know how easy it would be to set up and run such a system of government without suffering from misuse etc.
  15. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    07 Jul '06 13:53
    the system we are talking about (fictional and futuristic for anyone who hasent read the earlyer posts) is a true democracy in that any issue that is deemed to need voting on (anyone can call for a vote on an issue if it is in despute) is voted on by either just those effected or the entire sociaty. there are no representatives/leaders of the people to make desisions for them, they are made by everyone. basicaly like the referendum party, the only way this doesn't decend into a farce with votes happening left right and centre is that the sociaty has very few (or none, depending) actual laws, and mostly people can do whatever the hell they like, as long as it doesn't start adversly effecting or upsetting other people. this would be very hard to implement in todays sociaty for various reasons but it could be worked towards. this is why I described it as anarchic, (very few rules or controles), democratic, (every one can vote on issues that need, or they desire, to vote on), comunisum, (they have almost unlimmeted reasourses, and fully automated production, and everyone is treated as equals, so basicly if you want something you can have it, so money just ceases to exist. whats the point).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree