1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Dec '11 12:36
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You don't deserve an answer. Reread the Holy Bible, if you really ever read it,
    and figure out the answer for yourself, Spanky.
    The sub text of what you appear to be saying - and then suddenly claiming that you're not saying - is that you personally get to choose which bits you take literally and the bits you do not take literally. Unless, as you seemed to claim earlier, the bible itself tells you which bits are which. What specific claim are you making then?
  2. Wat?
    Moves
    28 Dec '11 12:381 edit
    Apparently FMF is a liar, for asking pressuring and honest questions.

Sounds to me that the person calling FMF a liar is now wearing Dasa's suit.

😀

-m. 😞

Edit: My apologies, 'a' Dasa SUIT. 😉
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Dec '11 12:50
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Southern Baptists are capable of practically anything, best treated like a skillet full of
    rattlers! But no, in fact, its anti biblical,

(2 Timothy 2:24-25) . . .But a slave of the Lord does not need to fight, but needs to be
    gentle toward all, qualified to teach, keeping himself restrained under evil,  instructing
    with mildness those not favorably disposed; . . .
    Maybe, he should ask jaywill he has a more milder style. It is not my
    nature to be a pussy cat. 😏
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Dec '11 12:56
    Originally posted by FMF
    The sub text of what you appear to be saying - and then suddenly claiming that you're not saying - is that you personally get to choose which bits you take literally and the bits you do not take literally. Unless, as you seemed to claim earlier, the bible itself tells you which bits are which. What specific claim are you making then?
    Pay attention. Any book must be read in context to determine what is
    meant to be taken literally and what is not. One has to use their brain
    to figure it out after reading the full text. That is all I am going to say
    about the matter. If you need more, ask jaywill when he returns. He
    doesn't get as irritated as I do with stupid questions.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Dec '11 13:07
    Many parts of the Holy Bible are not meant to be taken literally.
    Genesis is an example that is not to be taken literary. It's a part of the mythology presnt at those days.

Right?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Dec '11 13:1033 edits
    Any book must be read in context to determine what is
    meant to be taken literally and what is not. One has to use their brain
    to figure it out after reading the full text.
    So you are saying that you personally get to choose which bits you take literally and which bits you do not take literally. I see. And do all Christians have this individual prerogative?
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Dec '11 13:35
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Genesis is an example that is not to be taken literary. It's a part of the mythology presnt at those days.

Right?
    That is a hard one for me to determine because some parts are obviously
    meant to be take literally; but the part about Satan speaking through the
    serpent has indications of possible mythology along with the exact meaning
    of the tree of life and the tree of knowledge of good and evil. It is possible
    these are not meant to be interpreted as actual trees containing a special
    fruit that we don't have today.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Dec '11 13:55
    So, some is mythology, like talking snakes and creation of universe and stuff, some is to be taken literary, like brothers killing eachother and circumcision and stuff.

Do I understand it correctly?
  9. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    28 Dec '11 14:32
    It is only "obvious" that some parts are meant to be taken literally and others are by "Satan" because laws and society have told you so. Thousands of years ago, it wasn't so obvious, and a lot more of the bible was taken literally (including atrocities like slavery and unjust violence).

It is interesting how advances in science and human rights has caused some things (which were once thought to be literal) to become metaphorical.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Dec '11 14:421 edit
    Originally posted by lausey
    It is only "obvious" that some parts are meant to be taken literally and others are by "Satan" because laws and society have told you so. Thousands of years ago, it wasn't so obvious, and a lot more of the bible was taken literally (including atrocities like slavery and unjust violence).

It is interesting how advances in science and human rights has caused some things (which were once thought to be literal) to become metaphorical.
    science has dis-proven nothing! once you deny the divine element as you do, nothing
    makes sense, once you make room for it, all things are possible, all that science has
    done is to attempt to explain supernatural events in rational or material terms, as if the
    supernatural is subject to the same criteria. As for human rights, perhaps we
    shall list those Christians who were instrumental in the civil rights movement in the
    nineteen sixties, or the abolition of slavery, or the reforms of prisons, or of hospitals,
    your post betrays the usual atheistic prejudices and barriers to progress as is the case
    of all those who have limited their understanding to purely materialistic terms.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Dec '11 14:52
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    So, some is mythology, like talking snakes and creation of universe and stuff, some is to be taken literary, like brothers killing eachother and circumcision and stuff.

Do I understand it correctly?
    All of it teaches truth. But I believe some is to be taken literally in the way it
    presents the truth, like God creating the earth, and others like the parables
    of Jesus, which may also represent a literal situation but are not intended to
    be taken completely literal in order to get the true message from it. I think
    part of the Garden of Eden story may be in this category. Also the story of
    Samson is most likely in this category of presenting truth in an entertaining
    way.
  12. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    28 Dec '11 14:52
    science has dis-proven nothing! once you deny the divine element as you do, nothing
    makes sense, once you make room for it, all things are possible, all that science has
    done is to attempt to explain supernatural events in rational or material terms, as if the
    shal ...[text shortened]... s is the case
    of all those who have limited their understanding to purely materialistic terms.
    All that those Christians have done has decided that the parts of the bible which were against human rights has become "metaphors", and only then were able to help to progress the civil rights movement. Then they pick and choose which of the bible can be used for morality, and ignoring parts which justify stoning people to death. You do not have to be Christian to be humanitarian.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Dec '11 14:54
    Originally posted by lausey
    All that those Christians have done has decided that the parts of the bible which were against human rights has become "metaphors", and only then were able to help to progress the civil rights movement. Then they pick and choose which of the bible can be used for morality, and ignoring parts which justify stoning people to death. You do not [b]have to be Christian to be humanitarian.[/b]
    why dont you give credit where credit is due instead of continuing the charade!
  14. Wat?
    Moves
    28 Dec '11 14:57
    shal ...[text shortened]... s is the case
    Aye Robbie. Like I said in the chess forum..... you defend your kids vehemently, almost over the limit. You projected onto me something which I hadn't even mentioned. Yet, you have spoken and agreed to some JW propositions as being wrong.... or did you not?
    A JW child being raped can easily be covered up within the 'system' in which you 'choose' to live. Masturbation is prohibited because it leads to homosexuality et al..... It must be one cool life you live!

Do you think my wife has never been insulted on this website? I have been banned for defending her, and I was accused or racism by a bunch of idles when I defended her ethnicity. So, lo and behold, get a grip, grow up, and answer the fundamentals that are asked of you, instead of running around the mulberrybush, naked, chanting to Jehova!

Just get a normal life will you, you're a ruddy embarassment to scousers. You must have gone to Queen Mary's or Noughton Hall for girls, or something. Unless you lied to me!!!

-m.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Dec '11 15:001 edit
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Aye Robbie. Like I said in the chess forum..... you defend your kids vehemently, almost over the limit. You projected onto me something which I hadn't even mentioned. Yet, you have spoken and agreed to some JW propositions as being wrong.... or did you not?
    A JW child being raped can easily be covered up within the 'system' in which you 'choose' to live. Ma to Queen Mary's or Noughton Hall for girls, or something. Unless you lied to me!!!

-m.
    look, stay away from me, I have nothing to say to you, now stop stalking me and stay
    away from me! do you understand, I have nothing to say to you, i do not know you , i
    dont want to know you, now stay away from me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree